New swedish made film Lilja 4-ever

Tools    

Lilja 4-ever is made by the Lucas Moodysson the man behind the movie Show me love.

photo from the movie Show me love

But this new movie Lilja 4-ever is darker much much darker it starts and ends the same way. I consider this as the best Swedish made film this year and they speak Russian in almost the entire movie.
I saw the movie for a few weeks ago and was shocked how good it actually was. Time for the world to know about this movie.

Now on to the plot

Lilja is a Russian young girl who one after another is betrayed by her parents aunt friends and finaly her boyfriend who lure her to sweden as a sexslave.
The movie point to a very important problem in the world today there millions young women and men is smuggled from one country to another.

The problem have the name trafficking and he really show how horrible it can be for a young girl to come to a country she cant speak the language in or know how the country works, and been used as a sexlave.

Her only friend in the movie is Volodja a mistreated lonely young boy who seem to gain strenght from the friendship with Lilja. I have not the heart to tell how it end but it is a movie you cant just see. IT IS A MOVIE YOU HAVE TO SEE.

It have a point and a very important one. The films music are good very good i was suprised.

Some user comments from IMDB Viewers
http://us.imdb.com/CommentsShow?0300140

Here are some links
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0300140

here is links about the movie there you can read more
http://www.movie-times.net/cgi-local...?product=LILJA
http://www.thenerveonline.com/straig...aight20-1.html
http://www.e.bell.ca/filmfest/2002/f...ID=film&id=304

Swedish Director Moodysson Films Life's Dark Side
By Anna Peltola
MALMO, Sweden (Reuters) - A Russian-language film about child abuse, prostitution, suicide and life after death might not sound like a classic box-office hit.
So the first week's success for Lukas Moodysson's "Lilya 4-Ever" was a surprise even for the director.
Some 50,000 Swedes saw Moodysson's third full-length movie in its first week on release -- a huge audience in a country of less than nine million people.
"Lilya 4-Ever" has its international premiere at the Venice Film Festival, which started on Thursday, where it will be competing for the San Marco prize.
The 33-year-old director, who has been praised by Swedish cinema maestro Ingmar Bergman, says he hopes his film about a teenage girl from the former Soviet Union who ends up as a prostitute in Sweden will be released in eastern Europe, from where girls are exported as sex slaves.

"I would be very happy if it was released in different ways in countries where things that take place in the film take place in reality," Moodysson told Reuters.
It could make girls dreaming of a better life in the West think twice.

CHILDHODD BETRAYAL
In the movie, 16-year-old Lilya is betrayed by her mother who moves to the United States and leaves her daughter behind in a post-Soviet slum. Lilya leads a miserable life, but dreams of better things with Volodya, a younger boy.

But in a city dominated by poverty, an empty military base and glue-sniffing abandoned children, the only way Lilya can earn money for food is to sell her body.
Hope arrives in the form of handsome Andrei, who promises her a better life in Sweden. But she ends up a sex slave, locked up in a suburban flat, abused and betrayed yet again.
Moodysson says the film, praised by Swedish critics not least for its touching performances from young Russian actors Oksana Akinshina as Lilya and Artyom Bogutyarski as Volodya, is not all gloom.

"For me there is hope at the end of the film, hope in the pure power of Volodya and Lilya, and there is also hope that something can be changed by watching this movie, going out and doing something," he said.
Moodysson said one inspiration for his movie was "The Brothers Lionheart," a book by Swedish children's author Astrid Lindgren, who died this year.
The book, published in 1973, was controversial as some said it promoted suicide as a way to escape the pain in life.

LIFE AFTER DEATH
Moodysson, too, wants to prompt a discussion about suicide and life after death.

"It's a tragedy, but people do kill themselves, and children do it as well. And I think we must talk about it," he said.
In both Lindgren's book and Moodysson's film children jump to their deaths. In the film, Volodya becomes an angel who is there waiting for Lilya when she jumps.
"My opinion is something like what Volodya says in the film: 'to jump is okay because I will be there to catch you and take care of you, but if you jump you have lost everything you have, and you have lost to those who spit in your face'."
Moodysson combines an acerbic criticism of capitalism, which he sees as a major cause of the sex trade, with faith in God, and there is a strong theme of life after death in the film.
Though his latest film is darker than his debut love story "*beep* Amal" -- shown as "Show Me Love" in Britain and the United States -- and "Together," a story about people trying to live together in a 1970s commune, all three are linked.

While "Lilya 4-Ever" portrays adults betraying the children they should be taking care of, the other two films show how adults can cause pain and humiliate children even when they mean well.
"*beep* Amal," which tells of two small-town teenage girls who fall in love with each other, and "Together" were critical successes in the 30 or so countries where they were released, although they also prompted condemnation.

The idea of working abroad and possibly making a film in the United States is tempting, but Moodysson said he does not consider Hollywood the top spot for movie makers.
"I am very interested in the United States as a phenomenon...and also about American culture that is so influential in the world," he said. "I am interested in making an American movie, but not interested in a Hollywood career."
Moodysson, who has two sons aged four and six, said childhood was an interesting time and all his current script ideas involve children in one way or another.
"Childhood is greatly sacrificed in the world today. Children are very much the weak link of the chain," he said. "If you want to study the world you should study the most vulnerable parts of the world."
And although children can be cruel, they are more true to themselves than grown-ups, Moodysson said. That is why adults should not forget what it felt like to be six or 16.
"Many grown-ups forget what it was like to be young and start to play golf instead," he said. "

Comments please i have seen this movie and i rate it as the best swedish made movie this year...

Lilja 4-Ever hasn't opened in The States, though it did play at the Toronto Film Festival.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally posted by Holden Pike
Lilja 4-Ever hasn't opened in The States, though it did play at the Toronto Film Festival.
Try to wait for it then it will come.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally posted by Holden Pike
It did play at the Toronto Film Festival. But I would be suprised if they will show it on more than a very few theatres in US. But let's not stop hoping...

Back with a bang!
I've seen it. It was good, but way too dark to be enjoyable. It felt more like a message than a movie. The movie made you think and all that, but I wouldn't see it again.

All in all, a good movie, but not what I like to watch.

This one is finally getting an Australian release this month. I enjoyed SHOW ME LOVE & TOGETHER very much.

been looking forward to this one for a while so will be back later this month witha review once i see it.

For those who havent seen the above mentioned films- give them a go as they are original and honest cinema worthy of viewing.