0 votes
Boromir
0%
0 votes
Gimli
11 votes. You may not vote on this poll

There are nine members.

Who's your favourite?

In other words, if you and your buddies, were playing Lord of the Rings and you quickly had to shout out which one you were, which name would you shout?

I wish I was nine again.

Okay to make it more fun and less competitive. You must choose somebody who has yet to be picked. The first nine become the fellowship. I'd hate to see one of the Fellowship not get any votes. So...

I choose first and I am going to be...

Samwise Gamgee

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Gandalf, DUH!!!
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Who picked Aragon?

Quick! Show yourself! Otherwise you shall not become of the Fellowship!

I voted Aragorn just then, and then I came down and it said "Who picked Aragorn?!" I thought, "Holy hell this place is quick."

I picked him because of the books. He is so amazing a character -- I love the description of him in the book, the thing that reveals him as Strider: All that glitters is not gold, all those who wander are not lost.

I like the fact that he is a diamond in the rough and the story of him and Arwen in the appendix. I think that next to Gandalf [who Tolkien saw the most of himself in] Aragorn came next because there's just so much about him that is wonderful.

He's by far my favorite character, and I think Viggo did an absoloutley stunning job at playing him in the film.

I am Meriadoc!

Think about it: I'm young, I'm merry, I'm stupid, I'm pretty much constantly and unthinkingly happy, I'm always clueless as to where I or anyone around me is going, I like lettuce and carrots, I like FREE lettuce and carrots even more, and I can run really really fast!

So. Where's that Fool of a Took? We've got gardens to raid!

i expected a lot more elf fans. But gandalf was the obvious chioce
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Argh, I voted before I read ALL of your post. Sorry. I'm Aragorn. It wouldn't really work to have everyone be someone different anyway...we'd only have 9 votes, tops! Anyway, his name isn't Legolas Greenleaf, unless I'm forgetting something. I think Legolas MEANS Greenleaf, though.

I went with Aragorn, son of Arathorn, because I can relate to him the most. He is a man. He's a skilled man, a brave man, and a great man in many ways. In that respect, he's what I'd like to be. I'd say that, though, as much as anything else, I chose him because he, like I (IMO), knows his shortcomings, is afraid of them, but is willing to face them nonetheless. He knows his weaknesses, but he knows his strengths as well, and he knows that he CAN overcome his flaws in the end.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Originally posted by mecurdius
i expected a lot more elf fans. But gandalf was the obvious chioce
Who wouldn't want a wizard??

I'll tell you why no one has voted for Frodo.

He's an extremley melancholy [but rightly so] and unlikeable character. Thank God for the other Hobbits.

Yeah, that's probably part of it. Frodo's sad...he's weary. He has a right to be. Justified or not, though, it doesn't make him someone we want to be. It does make him someone we sympathize with heavily, though. Poor Frodo.

Does no-one see themselves in Boromir?

I guess that'd take some pretty heavy and critical introspection, huh.

Originally posted by Sullivan
Does no-one see themselves in Boromir?

I guess that'd take some pretty heavy and critical introspection, huh.
Oh, I relate to him as much as just about anyone else. The question was more of which was your favorite, though. Aragorn is someone I can relate to, and someone I want to be more like. Boromir lies inside all of us, though. Whether we want to admit it or not, our will-power has at least one major weak spot that is likely to get ourselves kicked in the a** at least once. He was a character I sympathized with nearly as much as Frodo.

WARNING: "The Fellowship of the Ring" spoilers below
I can't even begin to tell you how moving his character was to me. As I said in my review of LOTR: FOTR, I love the phrase someone elsed used: he was fighting to win back his soul. What a perfect way to describe it.

I much prefer the way they put it in the book though, especially with the Galadirel and Lothlorien chapters. [Next to Helm's Deep in The Two Towers, the Mirror of Galadriel is the best chpater of any book I have ever read.]

I was amazed at how well the brought the Boromir stuff to the screen. I thought it would be dumbed down some what, a smaller aspect. Incorporating the first chapter of the Two Towers into the first film was good. The did the Boromir stuff very well, did not condemn him at all. Sean Bean was excellent.

I've gotta agree. That role is, I think, going to be one of the more overlooked and underrated roles in the entire trilogy. It's easy to say, Oh, Frodo's the ring-bearer, the poor guy has such a burden....and he DOES.

But a burden just as heavy is the knowledge that you betrayed yourself and your friends in the worst way possible. Sean Bean did a fantastic, and heart-rending, job. As little screen time as he had, and as "minor" as some people may see that role, I can't help but feel it's an integral part of the whole story.

Sullivan, I couldn't agree much more. I felt SO very sorry for Boromir. That part always gets to me. I think I said this somewhere in regards to Saving Private Ryan: for whatever reason, the issue of guilt and regret and having to live with a horrible mistake, and the shame of it, resonates with me quite a bit. I suppose it's one of my biggest fears, really: screw up big-time, and it's never really undone. You have to live with it...like a curse. Boromir gets me every time, basically. I didn't cry a whole lot the second time, however. Third time got me as bad as the first, though. What an amazing movie...I must see it again.