Hollywood does nothing small

Tools    

Anyone else notice the unusually high number of celebrity divorces and splits the last year or so.

Alec Baldwin/Kim Basinger
Nic Cage/Patricia Arquette
Bruce Willis/Demi Moore
Tom Cruise/Nicole Kidman
Dennis Quaid/Meg Ryan
Hank Azaria/Helen Hunt
Harrison Ford/wife
Michael Douglas/wife
Robert Downey Jr/wife

Then the major weddings:

Brad Pitt/Jennifer Aniston
Michael Douglas/Catherine Zeta-Jones
Christian Slater/wife
David Arquette/Courtney Cox
Kate Hudson/Chris Robinson

Then the baby boom:

Catherine Zeta-Jones/Michael Douglas
Calista Flockhart
Beverly D'Angelo/Al Pacino - twins
Jodie Foster
Rosie O'Donnell
Christian Slater/wife
Chris O'Donnell/wife
Will Smith/Jada Smith
Celine Dion

LOL...Michael Douglas has been busy this year on and off screen.

Hollywood seems to be out of control. I'm sure there are more instances, but my blonde head can't think of them. Anybody have any theories on what's in the water out there?!?

Movie-Fever.com | New! Movie Fever Forums

LOL...forgot Madonna/Guy Ritchie tying the knot.

MovieForums Extra

Yeah, they have to support the multi-million dollar tabloid industry But it's true, we (I mean the public in general, not me personally ) really love to hear what's been going on in the lives of the rich and famous...I'm sure half of them though would trade it all for a bit of peace and quiet like we ordinary folks have!!

By the way Laurie, that quote about Starbucks sounds awfully familiar but I can't seem to place it?! Where was it from, remind me?

Zeph: It's Tom Hanks in "You've Got Mai"

I agree - the divorces are out of hand. Not surprisingly, some of them seem to be religiously motivated - Kidman didn't dig Tom Cruises' Scientology thing, which apparently was the major factor in their seperation.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Actually I was going to make a post about this, but never got around to it. It amazes me how many celebrities can't hold a stable relationship, then again regular people seem to have a hard enough time doing the same thing.

MovieForums Extra

Yep, we ordinary people have enough troubles as it stands, without a thousand reporters following you with cameras wherever you go! It's a lot of added pressure and expectations etc.

And another thing, there seems to be a lot of scientologists around?!

Female assassin extraordinaire.
i know, i've been rather shocked at this whole thing. the tumult began with Bruce and Demi ... and hasn't stopped since. the weddings are doing nothing to alleviate the worry that people we love and wish happiness can't hold it.

i mean, bruce and demi were so perfect for each other! classy, but "working class" and a little bit of outcast thrown in. when they went it all went to hell. and nicole kidman and tom cruise have been married for 11 freakin years!! come on now. these breakups of long marriages that we sort of count on for a sense of continuity in the world (since they're so public and we lead our quiet lives of desperation) is really depressing.

sob!

I think the worst part of all of these break-ups is that there are a lot of kids involved. Hollywood is tough enough for celebrity kids, but it's got to be hell to have the tabloids report insane stories of your parents separations.

Radioactive Spider Blood
Word is that Billy Bob Thorton and Angelina Jolie just parted ways as well.

"Chances are, if your parents didn't have any kids, then you won't either."

well, that's totally unsurprising (if true). they built up way too much steam at the start for it to last. i kind of expected it. brilliant he may be, but i've heard a lot of not so great stuff about bbt. the pair are way too intense and too much of a pair of badasses for them to figure into a happy, wholesome, long-lasting marriage. but hey, miracles can happen.

Radioactive Spider Blood
Really? Wow, I didn't realize it had been even close to that many! I thought Billy Bob was pretty normal, but after he was on Leno, my perception changed. What a weird cat!

I think Jolie had only been married once before, to that blonde guy who was her co-star in Hackers.

You're right, she was married to the guy in Hackers. Kind of a young punk in love phase, though he was far more normal than she ...

BBT has had several passionate engagements with women that have left the women on the short end of the stick. Take the Laura Dern thing - ready to get married to her and then bam, diss her for Jolie. And there was some rumor (note, RUMOR) that he may have been physically abusive with a former wife ...

That whole Laure Dern thing was unreal. She was living with him, goes to shoot a movie on location, and when she comes home, he's married to Jolie.

Why is it that the Hollywood relationships that seem to last the longest are the ones where the couples never marry. Look at Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon and Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell. Both couples seem like the forever-kind and neither are married. The only Hollywood couple I can think of with that kind of staying power is Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson who have been happily married for ages. It's just odd that couples will date for ages, live together for years, but when they get married...it's over. Helen Hunt and Hank Azaria were like that. Together for 8 years, I think, then they got married and 9 months later it's over.

I wouldn't count Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson as the only couple with staying power. Just off the top of my head, I can think of Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward (who've been married since 1958).

And Laurence Olivier and Joan Plowright were married for 29 years (a marriage that ended only because he died). Granted, it was his 3rd marriage, but the third time is often the charm.

Of course, even a couple who has been together a relatively long time won't necessarily stay together. Look at Harrison Ford. He and his first wife were married for 15 years before divorcing. And his second wife and he have been married since 1983 (though they are now separated).

Actually I hard Ford was back together again...

Yes, good point Laurie, although I am a little bothered by Robbins/Sarandon - I'm old-fashoined in the sense that I think having kids and living together goes hand in hand with marriage - I really don't see why they're doing it.

Don't want to offend any liberals or start a flame - it just bugs me.

MovieForums Extra

Aacchh, who knows what goes on in the minds of the rich and famous? All that fame and all those $$$ sure must get to their heads for them to be behaving like that !!! Then again, they might just be normal people, just that we pay a lot more attention to them?!

Originally posted by TWTCommish
Actually I hard Ford was back together again...
I hope that's true. I always liked Harrison Ford, and I hated to hear that his marriage was breaking up.