Movie HALL of FAME Archives & Info

Tools    

I do think a worst film competition is an interesting idea, but I'm also not sure I want to force myself to sit through a pile of barely watchable trash haha.

Those types of things are entertaining if you have a group of people watching with you and poking fun, but alone it would probably be insufferable.

I might still be game though, since it's such a novel concept.
I guarantee that my worst film nom is a truly crummy example of film making incompetence!...But it's still entertaining, sorta like eating really stale cotton candy And it's short, just a bit over an hour.

It'll be the only HoF where "I was barely able to finish it" or "I had to watch it 10 minutes at a time because that's all I could stand" are technically compliments to the person who chose the film.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I concur with Cosmic about "Those types of things are entertaining if you have a group of people watching with you and poking fun, but alone it would probably be insufferable."

It sounds pretty d@mn cool reading the reviews themselves with everyone intent on having the worst one.
I'd happily sit up in the balcony with a steady flow of popcorn and so-diddley pop (Sold at a disreputable outlet in an alley, nowhere nice - or safe. Bring the kids, we got balloons)

It'll be the only HoF where "I was barely able to finish it" or "I had to watch it 10 minutes at a time because that's all I could stand" are technically compliments to the person who chose the film.
Ha I hadn't thought of that but yeah that could be loads of fun!...guilt free criticism.

That would be the theme, sponsored by Ripping Apart Productions
I'm so there! Got my nom picked out, well actually I've had a worst movie nom picked out for a couple years...that's how long I've been waiting for one of these

Yeah, that's why I asked here first, cause I'm not sure how many people would be eager to watch a bunch of presumed awful films.

My problem is that the worst films I've ever seen (on my own accord) are not ones I bothered to finish watching.
See I was thinking worst films like in Ed Wood Jr's movies. I don't know what others might equate worst films to mean?

I wonder if it would help to get people to join if the movie length was reduced from 240 minutes to say 140 minutes? And maybe if the noms were posted as they come in? So people would know what to expect.

I don't know what others might equate worst films to mean?
For me, it's generally very low quality films with poor camera work and bad acting, that are so bland and uninteresting that not even their ineptitude is amusing.

Also D.W. Griffith's Birth of a Nation, but for entirely different reasons.

For me, it's generally very low quality films with poor camera work and bad acting, that are so bland and uninteresting that not even their ineptitude is amusing.

Also D.W. Griffith's Birth of a Nation, but for entirely different reasons.
I think we talked before about Birth of a Nation as a worst film somewhere in this thread. It must've been after I watched it...and complained about it

....and I agree it's an 'objectionable movie' in the same way I'd call a Nazi propaganda film objectionable for it's subject matter but not necessarily a poorly made film. But worth watching for historical reasons.

Dang. I've done plenty of this.
With me, I'm generally really strict about the rating. Even movies I really hate have at least a couple positive qualities about them, even if it comes down to something as simple as a couple decent actors or some passable camerawork.

I originally gave a couple films a 1/10, but I increased my rating for them to a 2/10 sometime later as, as much as I despised them, I couldn't say that they were nonstop terrible from beginning to end.

Also, The Birth of a Nation is obviously racist, but I didn't find it particularly hard to sit through the film. Part of this is because I had a feeling what to expect from it going into the film, but also because I don't have any doubts as to how awful people can be, so I find it hard for a film to truly shock or upset me in that regard. Like, don't get me wrong. I still didn't enjoy it, but I think the film holds value as a historical document as, in addition to its innovative editing, it raises many interesting discussions on how harmful and dangerous art can be which still ring true today (the film lead to a renaissance for the KKK after it was released). I think I have it at a 4/10. I don't know if this is too high or too low, but it's what I felt most comfortable rating it.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I wonder if it would help to get people to join if the movie length was reduced from 240 minutes to say 140 minutes? And maybe if the noms were posted as they come in? So people would know what to expect.
that would definitely widen the interest for participation.

Missed this post, but I think that would be a good idea. Maybe a 2 hour limit would be ideal.

I agree about changing the duration of the film length. There are some I love that are long but I know it's hard to sit through them.

Maybe to around 2 1/2 hour limit.

As far as the reveal, it needs to stay hidden. That's why there is that extra week of keeping it open, so ppl can join or drop.