The Royal Tenenbaums

→ in
Tools    

Hmmm, it must be good, then. I'm planning to see it next weekend with a friend or two, and, ironically, probably a parent as well. Looks pretty funny; I think I'll enjoy it.

im so jealous it hurts
i want to see the flick so, so, so badly right now and ive only got one more day, i cant wait.
i just watched rushmore again and if TRT is darker than ill probably like it even more.

I've seen it twice in the last couple days, it's an excellent movie. I liked it so much that I went out and rented Rushmore and Bottle Rocket . The distinctive thing about the movie is that it's the calmest movie I've ever seen (not in a bad way). The way the camera centers on the person's face is cool, the soundtrack accents the plot very well (Elliot Smith's "Needle in the Hay" is the best one imo), the use of color and costume is superb, and that Indian guys lines are hilarious. And to top it all off Gwyneth Paltrow is really sexy with those dark eyes .

The book is coming out sometime this month too.

Guy
Do you guys think Tenenbaums has a chance at the 'oscars'? if so for what categories?

I'm seeing it tomorrow and have big expectations!

Look exactly six posts above this one for my thoughts on The Royal Tenenbaums' Oscar chances.

I'm probably going to see it for a fifth time tomorrow...if I decide not to trek back in for a second look at Gosford Park.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Guy
I saw this today, and thought it was great.

The people who I was with though said 'it wasn't very funny, it wasn't a comedy or drama, and the acting was bad'

But hey, they said Fellowship of the Ring was 'childish garbage,' so..

i really really liked this movie best picture nom, i dont think comedys get enough credit.

see it! (espically if u liked rushmore) if u didnt see it!
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Well, saw this flick today. Good. Funny. I expected it to be funnier, but, then again, I think I had unrealistic expectations coming in. Definitely an accquired taste...very odd. I didn't care for some of the pacing, or the style of some of it...but other parts I adored. I'm very conflicted about it, really. I laughed enough to make the movie funny, but I also felt bored enough to say that I wish they had done a few things differently. I'd give it 7 out of 10. Perhaps I need to get used to Anderson's style to appreciate it fully.

Commish, as you are someone who didn't really appreciate Rushmore I can't say I'm shocked that you would be less than fully impressed with The Royal Tenenbaums. How many more examples do you need to get "used" to Wes Anderson's storytelling style? For whatever reason, you don't groove on it. For me, it's spot-on and like watching my dreams and interior sensibilities projected onto the screen.

Now, I'm not sure, but I most definitely do not recall, at least right now, saying much of anything about "Rushmore." If I said anything about it, I probably said that I only saw a little bit of it, and haven't taken the time to truly watch it...so, simply put, this is the first time I've actually seen one of his films. In fact, I just ran a search, and can't find myself saying much of anything about it. Perhaps you're confusing me with someone else? Either that or I've made a major oversight. If so, I apologize in advance.

I'll have to assume that, loving his style so much, you're a little peeved at me. Fair enough. I'm the same way about people who don't like M. Night Shyamalan. For me, this film was, while funny and VERY worth watching, disjointed. After the 20th bizarre happening of some sort, I just sort of stopped caring...waiting for the next laugh. I will admit that I thought the more serious, dramatic aspects of it caught me off-guard. I thought they'd flop...but I enjoyed most of them (though not all).

I'm not peeved at all, just not at all surprised that you were somewhat underwhelmed by The Royal Tenenbams.

As for what I recall your comments on Rushmore being, something along the lines of you hadn't even seen it all, but you weren't all that impressed with what you had seen and were in no rush to seek it out and finish it. Given that take on their previous film, that's why I figured what your level of enthusiasm for Tenenbaums would likely be, especially since I think of the two (though I love them both) Rushmore is the more perfect and wonderful movie.

Was I somehow unclear expressing myself in my last post? Did it seem to you like I was picking a fight or something?

It hasn't opened here yet either, actually and it's kind of killing me. I'm very much looking forward to this among other films, Waking Life being one of them. The problem is I actually have no way of knowing when a film opens here in Mount Gambier. We're not totally devoid of contact to larger places, but I can never be sure if we're getting everyone that the state capital is. And it stinks. I am hoping that The Royal Tenenbaums opens here, and I wait in anticipation -- but it's scared anticipation.

I enjoyed the trailer.

Well, assuming that the comments I found in my search are the same ones you're thinking of, I don't think I elaborated on why I never saw the whole thing. What I do remember right now, though, is that I thought it was pretty funny, but not hilarious. That's from only 15-20 minutes of the film, mind you.

And yeah, based on that alone (which isn't much...but it's the only indicator available), I don't blame you, or anyone else, for thinking I wouldn't look forward to "Tenenbaums" much...but I was. I'd read almost universally positive reviews from critics and MoFos alike, and the trailer was interesting. I also expected it to be a bit odd (which it was). Like I said: pleasantly surprised in some ways, and not as pleasantly surprised in others.

Was I somehow unclear expressing myself in my last post? Did it seem to you like I was picking a fight or something?
Yep, pretty much. I figured it was not likely your intention (usually isn't, from what I can tell), but, as seems to be the case with many of your replies, it did seem to imply severe annoyance.

Anyway, I'll keep mostly mum about "Rushmore" until I've seen the entire thing. If it's a lot like "Tenenbaums," (which I have to imagine it is, when seen straight through) then I'll probably find it, at the very least, to be worth watching. I do doubt, though, that I'll ever go ape over Wes Anderson/Owen Wilson, if most of their films "feel" the same way as this one did. Not to say I'm not impressed, and didn't enjoy myself.

It's funny, though: I pretty much expected to come out of it having absolutely loved it. Sometimes high expectations help me to enjoy a movie more than I likely would have...but not always...so it's hard to say whether my expecting to love it worked in favor of the movie, or against it. Either way, I'd still recommend it.

Guy
I saw this film for the second time today.

I don't think this is a comedy at all. It was funny, but I found the whole thing pretty meloncholy.

Too bad it wasn't honored much at the globes, at least Hackman got some respect though!

Now With Moveable Parts
I just saw this movie for the first time, last night.
Oh yeah.
I fully loved it. I have NO problems with this one AT ALL.

I think, firstly, I have to rave about the way the story was told. Sheer brilliance. I was just so gosh darn entertained by the whole atmospere and mood of the storytelling. The narration (who I pinned as Alec Baldwin, right away) was so clean and used well. It wasn't too gimmicky, as narration tends to be sometimes.

Secondly, the characters and the way they interacted with each other was so captivating. This is the perfect example of a well oiled machine; what all ensamble casts should be. Not one link was weak.

The music. Damn, Wes and Owen sure know how to put together a soundtrack. I have to say, the Van Morrison song at the end was so sweet--all the choices were perfect.

I'd have to say I enjoyed Luke Wilson's character the most. He was so "together" yet, he's the one that falls apart. Agh! I could go on and on and on..........
Just an all around wonderful movie. A new favorite.

Ooof!

I didn't like this movie. I finally saw it tonight on video and it did nothing for me. What was that? Just wind passing by? Royal Tenenbaums just flew right over my head like that bird in the movie. What was its name again? Metatron?

I knew I wasn't going to like it in the first ten minutes. The whole "chapter one" introduction didn't interest me. The kids and the parents.... bleh. But I kept right on watching. Well, I tried to, at least. I'm sitting there in bed staring at Toshi, my TV, waiting for the movie to pick up and get better, while jotting down notes in my head like it had a boring beginning. And then, the movie still isn't starting my circuits up, so I'm like grabbing books off the floor and beginning to flip through them. Not a good sign to me!

While some parts of it were cute and others were darling, such as Gene Hackman's love for his family and Luke Wilson's love for it too (nice how they seemed to have the most in common, at least that's what I saw), all together, I can't say that I liked the film. I mean, if I want to see all of those elements in a movie, I can somewhere else, in a movie I'd enjoy.

And if there isn't one with all of those same elements put together, I could make it, my style.

I found Gweneth Paltrow's character the most interesting to me, but they couldn't and they didn't explore her thoroughly. After awhile, I even stopped minding that, cause she lost my interest too! Maybe I'm not much of a lovey-dovey person if I can't love the Tenenbaums.

Nah.

Everything was very unrealistic to me and I hate that when I don't particularly find the film funny or enjoyable. That last scene of the movie... at the.... ya know... didn't find that realistic. Looked like a silly idea for a poster.

I wish I could give a "ten" to the Tenenbaums, but I can't. Tenenbaums left me feeling tenenbummed. Wes Anderson, I've never seen your previous movies. I don't think I like your style, stallion. Sorry. I have a different brain chemistry.

You must really love that man to drive all the way to Manhattan to see this movie. He should pay for your gas!