By how much male roles dominate Hollywood movies?

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Sure, maybe it is touchy, and chances are a girl isn't gonna see one guy on one forum call her hot and be like 'welp no more movies for me'.
Well, I had always hoped she'd be more like: "I love you too. Wedding today or tomorrow?". I'm still waiting for any of them to respond.
when your opinions are taken slightly less seriously because of the way they are perceived, not by overt bigotry but by slight, subtle biases people have
My subtle bias of choice is to always say "after you" to women, but the feminist type always says I just want to look at her ass, and other girls respond with "no, after you", and then I know I forgot to take my make up off.
It's really not that hard to just be a decent person.
I'd rather be the forum's jester. Thank you.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

It's really not that hard to just be a decent person.
That seems to contradict your idea that oppression is the cause for the inequality in the gender gap. If you think it's so easy, why do you think there is so much oppression? Anyway, I don't think it's easy. Human history is a history of war. Why, these days you can't even give a girl a compliment without being practically shot.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Who says you can't give a girl a compliment without being shot? Are you sure there's not some exaggeration here?

Name all the great female led films. Alien, Aliens, Kill Bill and Monster comes to mind.

Are there any producers in Hollywood who have a reputation for giving female directors a fair shake, that women could try to aim to work for, compared to the ones who do not like to hire female directors?

Name all the great female led films. Alien, Aliens, Kill Bill and Monster comes to mind.
The Passion of joan of arc is an important one. Theres Persona and other select films by Bergman. The Red Shoes. Silence of the lambs. A lot of animated films especially by Disney and Ghibli.

That seems to contradict your idea that oppression is the cause for the inequality in the gender gap. If you think it's so easy why do you think there is so much oppression. Anyway, I don't think it's easy. Human history is a history of war. Why, these days you can't even give a girl a compliment without being shot.
Think it's obvious that part was a personal opinion. I don't think it's that difficult in a society where you calling someone by the correct pronoun for instance does you no harm but there's plenty resistant to it for whatever reasons they may have. That's a common decency thing, it doesn't mean you have to vote yes on Pro-Trans bills or whatever, it's just being a decent human being. Not dissimilar to say the gradual decline of racial slurs openly used toward black people during the 60's and 70's, even among old racists that voted against segregation laws or whatever that was appreciated as it put black people on the same level as a human being. I mean read James Baldwin he was clearly rightfully pissed off, but he appreciated a lot of little things like being treated like a human by his enemies as civil rights progressed and it was no longer okay to be treated like a slave without the chains societally.

Just don't be an awful sh!thead, you still have your vote if you don't i've heard!

At least these too are great: Let the Right One In, The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane, Brimstone and Poison for the Fairies. There's also a bunch of very good ones.

That seems to contradict your idea that oppression is the cause for the inequality in the gender gap. If you think it's so easy, why do you think there is so much oppression? Anyway, I don't think it's easy. Human history is a history of war. Why, these days you can't even give a girl a compliment without being practically shot.
People not being decent humans is not why oppression exists. Oppression is the result of the complex sociological effects of like, society as a whole and the institutions (both concrete one's like the state and more abstract cultural institutions and systems like capitalism or patriarchy, etc) that comprise said society. In one's personal life, it is not that difficult to try to respect people's wishes and be a decent person, at least in my opinion.

It really is not that hard to compliment a girl without them getting upset. Just maybe try to find more respectful compliments that aren't tied directly to physical appearance all the time (or if it is appearance, good rule of thumb is to compliment something that they have a choice in, like their outfit or makeup or hair or the like, rather than something out of their control) and also maybe don't give out unsolicited compliments to strangers if you know that she could take offense because she lives in a society that constantly sexualizes her and has her under threat of harassment/assault and the like, and knows that a compliment can be a potential precursor to further unwanted advances.

Also as an aside, where are you meeting these like, militant women? Most women I know get very uncomfortable when strange men start complimenting them and making advances, but they definitely don't get like, aggressive. Have you ever even like, interacted with a woman? They know not to get aggressive most of the time because their aggressiveness (or even just simple assertiveness) could be met with violence, a threat they are cognizant of at a level that most men simply don't have to be.

Think it's obvious that part was a personal opinion. I don't think it's that difficult in a society where you calling someone by the correct pronoun for instance does you no harm but there's plenty resistant to it for whatever reasons they may have. That's a common decency thing, it doesn't mean you have to vote yes on Pro-Trans bills or whatever, it's just being a decent human being. Not dissimilar to say the gradual decline of racial slurs openly used toward black people during the 60's and 70's, even among old racists that voted against segregation laws or whatever that was appreciated as it put black people on the same level as a human being. I mean read James Baldwin he was clearly rightfully pissed off, but he appreciated a lot of little things like being treated like a human by his enemies as civil rights progressed and it was no longer okay to be treated like a slave without the chains societally.

Just don't be an awful sh!thead, you still have your vote if you don't i've heard!
This is more along the lines of what I meant. Granted, I think voting against bills that protect trans people from discrimination is also a horrible thing to do, and I think it's dangerous to separate political action from moral consideration and that people can be judged for and expected to take responsibility for the effects of their political actions, but that's kind of an entirely different topic, so

People not being decent humans is not why oppression exists. Oppression is the result of the complex sociological effects of like, society as a whole and the institutions (both concrete one's like the state and more abstract cultural institutions and systems like capitalism or patriarchy, etc) that comprise said society. In one's personal life, it is not that difficult to try to respect people's wishes and be a decent person, at least in my opinion.

It really is not that hard to compliment a girl without them getting upset. Just maybe try to find more respectful compliments that aren't tied directly to physical appearance all the time (or if it is appearance, good rule of thumb is to compliment something that they have a choice in, like their outfit or makeup or hair or the like, rather than something out of their control) and also maybe don't give out unsolicited compliments to strangers if you know that she could take offense because she lives in a society that constantly sexualizes her and has her under threat of harassment/assault and the like, and knows that a compliment can be a potential precursor to further unwanted advances.

Also as an aside, where are you meeting these like, militant women? Most women I know get very uncomfortable when strange men start complimenting them and making advances, but they definitely don't get like, aggressive. Have you ever even like, interacted with a woman? They know not to get aggressive most of the time because their aggressiveness (or even just simple assertiveness) could be met with violence, a threat they are cognizant of at a level that most men simply don't have to be.
Well I feel that women were okay with me complimenting them unless they were upset but just hid it. Like I was chatting up a women, I met on tinder for example, and told her she had nice cheeks, and she said "Hey, no guy's said that before!". With an exclamation point, which made me think it was a positive response.

That is just one example, but I feel that I have often gotten positive responses from compliments, but these are in situations like tinder, so maybe it's different in those pick up type situations?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
A girl is okay with you complimenting her aggressively if she finds you attractive. Just don't overdo it or you're gonna have a bad time!

Well I feel that women were okay with me complimenting them unless they were upset but just hid it. Like I was chatting up a women, I met on tinder for example, and told her she had nice cheeks, and she said "Hey, no guy's said that before!". With an exclamation point, which made me think it was a positive response.

That is just one example, but I feel that I have often gotten positive responses from compliments, but these are in situations like tinder, so maybe it's different in those pick up type situations?
I mean I think it's all about social context. In environments where flirting and stuff is expected (though again, still try to be respectful and not objectifying and rude obviously) complimenting is fine. Like people expect a little flirting on tinder that's a reasonable time to be complimentary. But like, sitting on a subway train? Definitely not. Like I said, I don't think it's all that difficult to be a decent person and like, know when it is acceptable to say some things and what is acceptable to say, not because you can't say those things (it's not like a censoring free speech thing) but just like, to not be rude.

Basically, It's not that you can never compliment a woman, obviously, or that you can never do nice things for women, it's just that you should treat them like a human being and try to act appropriate for the social environment, and try to be empathetic and cognizant of the way people (men, women, or otherwise) will react to the way you act. To me, it's not that much to ask of people in a civilized society to just try to be polite and empathetic toward other people (even if it does seem like something a lot of people seem unwilling to do).

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
At least these too are great: Let the Right One In, The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane, Brimstone and Poison for the Fairies. There's also a bunch of very good ones.
Silence of the lambs was said I’d like to add million dollar baby. Both I’d consider great to masterpiece level which is a rare accolade.

oh man, this is getting ollllld!

last time i checked, my idea of a good friday night wasnt bending over to have some girl strap one on and take me to the limit, with that said....people finding loopholes in nature and turning away from "some" natural tendencies just to complete an agenda for the sake of misdirected equality..well....what if rosie o'donnell was the new john mcclane for the next die hard? Would that make ppl happy in 2018?

This is more along the lines of what I meant. Granted, I think voting against bills that protect trans people from discrimination is also a horrible thing to do, and I think it's dangerous to separate political action from moral consideration and that people can be judged for and expected to take responsibility for the effects of their political actions, but that's kind of an entirely different topic, so
I have a close Trans friend and if i had a vote in America (i'm from Scotland) i'd absolutely vote pro every time, i'm just saying lets not treat other human beings bad (especially at risk human beings, but whatever).

Totally get what you're saying for the record i just find it hard not to isolate myself from people that mean a lot to me due to their opinions, which is white privilege playing out since it doesn't effect me much either way of course but either way i've really appreciated your posts in this thread and only haven't butted in coz it happens every week and this is a sh!thole. Too many new members are teenagers into Marvel Films often coming from Reddit or 4Chan, and we've got more than our fair share of well established bigots thought of as cool guys. It's all good tho!

I have a close Trans friend and if i had a vote in America (i'm from Scotland) i'd absolutely vote pro every time, i'm just saying lets not treat other human beings bad (especially at risk human beings, but whatever).

Totally get what you're saying for the record i just find it hard not to isolate myself from people that mean a lot to me due to their opinions, which is white privilege playing out since it doesn't effect me much either way of course but either way i've really appreciated your posts in this thread and only haven't butted in coz it happens every week and this is a sh!thole. Too many new members are teenagers into Marvel Films often coming from Reddit or 4Chan, and we've got more than our fair share of well established bigots thought of as cool guys. It's all good tho!
Yeah no worries I wasn't directing that at you it was more just like, a general remark to consider for the thread.

I mean I love the marvel films and I'm a teenager but you'll never see me on 4chan though. And yeah I've noticed this conversation comes up a bunch on here, I thought I'd get all my thoughts out of my system in this thread and then having said what I felt necessary I would get back to just movie stuff. It is kind of mind boggling to me that we even have to try and argue that "Hey, maybe women aren't becoming filmmakers as often not because they're just bad at it, but because there are more factors at play. Also maybe the idea that women are just worse at something is a wee bit sexist?" Like that seems pretty self-evident to me but I also recognize that maybe I would have felt differently if my life went different so hopefully by spelling out in good detail why I feel that way, other people will start to think a bit differently themselves. That's the hope anyway. All good!