Post-Oscars Perspective

Tools    

Now that the live-chat is closed, I suppose we must banter on?

THE WINNERS:

Best Picture: “The Shape of Water”
Director: Guillermo del Toro, “The Shape of Water”
Actor: Gary Oldman, “Darkest Hour”
Actress: Frances McDormand, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”
Supporting Actor: Sam Rockwell, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”
Supporting Actress: Allison Janney, “I, Tonya”
Original Screenplay: “Get Out”
Adapted Screenplay: “Call Me by Your Name”
Foreign Language Film: “A Fantastic Woman”
Animated Feature: “Coco”
Visual Effects: “Blade Runner 2049”
Film Editing: “Dunkirk”
Animated Short: “Dear Basketball”
Live Action Short: “The Silent Child”
Documentary Short: “Heaven Is a Traffic Jam on the 405”
Score: “The Shape of Water”
Song: “Remember Me” from “Coco”
Production Design: “The Shape of Water”
Cinematography: “Blade Runner 2049”
Costume Design: “Phantom Thread”
Makeup and Hairstyling: “Darkest Hour”
Documentary Feature: “Icarus”
Sound Editing: “Dunkirk”
Sound Mixing: “Dunkirk”
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Why didnt you join, Cyn? It was fun.

I must say, and as a woman, 80 year old Jane Fonda has the cleavage of an 18 year old. And Helen Mirren looked stunning - I love her.

Is Dani doing her best rambond?
what's that? He talks about boobs. Cleavageis a totally different kettle of fish and acceptable in polite society. I doubt he knows what it means. And Jane didnt show off boobs anyway. It was decolletage. She looked lovely.

Cyn, I'm sorry your fave didnt win for you and the one that won I havent even seen yet but I love del Toro so I cant complain. Itwas anyone's guess this year. to the mofos who picked it

General thoughts on the night:
  • Rockwell is such a cool dude. However, anyone else think he and Janney's wins were overshadowed by the rest of the show? It kinda feels like Janney's win is already considered forgettable among people. But that crowd-reaction to see her FINALLY winning, though.
  • Sufjan Steven's performance made me
  • Roger Deakins, Oscar Winner. (FEELS SO GOOD TO SAY THAT!)
  • Jordan Peele, Oscar Winner. (FEELS SO GOOD TO SAY THAT!)
  • The Greatest Showman, Oscar Looser. (FEELS VERY GOOD TO SAY THAT!)
  • Chalamet looked like a million bucks. As did Janney!
  • Speaking of Timothee, that clip they used was absolute rubbish. I suppose to make the latter's win justified?
  • I never thought an Oscar Speech could be so gross... until I witnessed Oldman. And this is not because that I'm don't like him winning, I'm actually happy that Gary Oldman is now as Oscar winner (even though, It was for the wrong performance.) It's just that his speech was very boring and typical. I love you as an artist; you're one of the greatest actors of our time, seriously. But... I never want to see you in movies, ever again (I'm being sarcastic, If anyone is wondering. )
  • Jane Fonda didn't look happy when she read out his name btw.
  • Speaking of Fonda, as a male, I must say, she's 80 and DOES have the cleavage of an 18 year old.
    SUCH A LEGEND!!!!!
  • And, on the other side of the coin, McDormand's speech was perfection. Such a class act.
  • The Shape of Water's picture victory is pretty f**king shocking. The SAG stat is broken. Same with the Screenplay/Acting win correlating with picture, and the Pre-December release date. Among many, MANY others. I was so happy to see del Toro's hard work over the years finally pay off. I should've seen this coming. It was very populist.
  • I wanted to punch Jimmy Kimmel. The way he treated the producer from TSOW was tasteless. Let's hope they don't bring him back next year.

Cyn, I'm sorry your fave didnt win for you and the one that won I havent even seen yet but I love del Toro so I cant complain. Itwas anyone's guess this year. to the mofos who picked it
What? My fav didn't win? You kidding? IT WON ADAPTED SCREENPLAY AND SUFJAN PERFORMED AT THE OSCARS. That's all I could ever ask for, tbh.

My eyes.

OK that'a good you're happy. They're all winners to me anyway. News in my country is all, yay 1 of ours nominated has won. Well they all won, didnt they.

I dont know if Timothee was there. I dont watch the red carpet and was chatting when the bubble heads like Kimmel were talking

oh so Tim was there? I only just read your post. I missed him. When was it?

I'm with you, Cynema. Kimmel is a total asshat. I used to watch his show fairly regularly when it first aired. But once he started in on politics, he forgot comedy and just turned it into a rant. I heard he did the same with the opening monologue. Is that true?

I love Samuel Rockwell and more than any other win, I'm glad for him. He's got a nice body of work behind him, but he truly deserved the win for this role, IMO. He just oozes cool whenever I see him on shows or interviews.

You say Jane Fonda didn't look happy when she read Oldman's name out, eh? She never looks happy to me. She was on that late night show that James Corden does, she and Lily Tomlin. And the bandleader, Reggie Watts is just a funny goofball, but she apparently never watches the show. He always asks an out of left field question that really has nothing to do with today's subjects, just for laughs and everybody goes along and has a good time. But he jokingly asks her if she ever watches her old 80s workout tapes. She tartly replied, "Yes, but apparently you don't." Wow. You could have heard a pin drop. Reggie is one of those big guys---not really fat, but just big all around. And she just insults him like that. Man. No sense of humor, her. So her not looking happy at Oldman's win doesn't surprise me at all.

Well, I didn't really have a solid feel as to who was going to win Best Director, but I was glad to see Del Toro get it. I can relate to him because he loves monster movies from the classic 30's on up. And he compared the creature in The Shape of Water to The Creature from the Black Lagoon, which made me happy. I haven't seen TSoW but him name-dropping The Creature's movie had me jazzed. He's all about sympathy for creatures. I was that way about Lon Chaney's The Wolf Man when I was a kid, so I can relate to Del Toro.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Okay, I was sleeping and I see I didn't miss much.

Here's one thing I want from you, though. A picture of the aforementioned Fonda's cleavage. I'm paying in rep points.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Okay, I was sleeping and I see I didn't miss much.

Here's one thing I want from you, though. A picture of the aforementioned Fonda's cleavage. I'm paying in rep points.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Now that I quickly skimmed through Oscar winners from the very beginning, I see that there were only like 5 masterpieces that ever won Best Picture. Now Foreign Language Film category is so much more interesting with some of the best films of all-time winning.

My biggest problem with Oscars is its undetermined handling of foreign films. On one hand you have this 'best foreign film' category, so you'd think the Academy is so ignorant of the cinema outside of their Hollywood comfort zone that they only dedicate one award to it. On the other hand, though, foreign films ARE eligible for other awards. Fanny and Alexander didn't just win Best Foreign Language film, but also best cinematography, scenography and costumes. But many foreign films should have won more awards than just Best Foreign Film yet they weren't even nominated. Especially in the past couple of years Academy reduces the entirety of the world outside of English-speaking countries to just this one, puny award. (yeah, foreign films get recognized in some other categories like best short film at times, I give you that).

Thank God for European film festivals (a lot of questionable films winning lately, too, sadly).

I'm with you, Cynema. Kimmel is a total asshat. I used to watch his show fairly regularly when it first aired. But once he started in on politics, he forgot comedy and just turned it into a rant. I heard he did the same with the opening monologue. Is that true?
Pretty much. It was more subtle than usual, but it didn't take very long; only took 5 minutes until he spoke about POTUS. He was honestly testing my patience throughout the whole show, and even the audience were pretty quiet at times. Really goes to show that I think they're done with him.

I'm surprised and appalled, that not much was mentioned about the shooting in Florida.

Welcome to the human race...
Kelly Marie Tran, on the other hand...

Also, I have a theory that Kimmel is meant to be doing a bad job of hosting so as to drive home that we really shouldn't keep letting mediocre white guys keep doing all the hosting.

As he has been a lifelong hero of mine, I'm very happy for Guillermo del Toro tonight.

I remember years ago watching the oscars with a group and we discussed the fact that European films always just felt shoved in there to make it look like the academy gave a damn but all these years later they still do it, Minio. And I'm talking last century we talked about it I will agree with you on that. How much euro or latin american or asian films actually get coverage there, though? We have a miniscule number of channels compared to you guys and we have an entire network devoted to multiculturalism with multiple channels.

Cyn, why didnt you join us in chat?