Ashamed of being American

Tools    

"He has all the time in the world ... "
Toddlers get treated with REAL, ettique, cuisine for lunch in France and us American's from toddler to teen (and this is coming from a teen) are stuck with processed, grotesque looking food that make us American's keep on going back for it more. Meanwhile, college/high school kids are risking getting tickets and speeding in their car just to get McDonald's for their lunch break. Even toddlers in France are getting served a real French cuisine and have class. Why is it that the French have a balanced meal plan and fast food is dominating America just to make a quick buck?
Yes, but French beer is all tasteless pasteurised lager. I know, I've drank it. I like the idea of two hour dinner breaks though.

That's a big stick.
Of course. We supersize everything. And if ya mess with us, you'll catch a supersized asswhoopin.

#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Semper Fooey
I'd rather be American than French.

Jan 29, 2010

it seems many canadians are offended by the reasons america is better than canada list. just to assauge canadians' hurt feelings about the subject, here is another nation that america is superior to. I refer to france.

number 10--we have a space program. france doesn't.

number 9--we have five times as many people.

number 8--we have new york city, france has Paris.

number 7--we are a superpower; france ia a minor country.

number 6--we have a larger economy than france.

number 5--we have disneyworld, seaworld and the playboy mansion; france has the effiel tower.

number 4--we saved france's bacon during WW2.

number 3--without us france would still be a german province and the french would be speaking german.

number 2--we have hotter women than france.

and the number one reason america is better than france--WE'RE NOT FRANCE.

Of course. We supersize everything.
Yeah, fat is the new thin.

And if ya mess with us, you'll catch a supersized asswhoopin.
You can keep the tax-exile Mr Bowie as a punishment & a bleak reminder of just how bad everything he did after the Scary Monsters album was.

I'd rather be American than French.

number 10--we have a space program. france doesn't.
Ermmm ... actually, they do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariane_5

We might be fat but at least we brush our teeth.
Byte me!

Semper Fooey
Okay, I'll substitute that with:

American politicians only commit sex crimes in America, they don't go to france to do it.

Okay, I'll substitute that with:

American politicians only commit sex crimes in America, they don't go to france to do it.
More fool them, they'd probably get more votes & a medal from the French President.

That's adorable.
What annoys me is that Ariane was based on a British design. We sold it to the French as we couldn't afford Black Knight & Concorde.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...t_%28rocket%29

I meant Black Arrow

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ki/Black_Arrow

Anyway, they eat McFood in France ... I've seen them.

Jules/Samuel L Jackson ~ "But I do love the taste of a good burger. You know what they call a Quarter Pounder with cheese in France?" ~ Pulp Fiction

Semper Fooey
[quote=Tripod;775634]Toddlers get treated with REAL, ettique, cuisine for lunch in France and us American's from toddler to teen (and this is coming from a teen) are stuck with processed, grotesque looking food that make us American's keep on going back for it more. Meanwhile, college/high school kids are risking getting tickets and speeding in their car just to get McDonald's for their lunch break. Even toddlers in France are getting served a real French cuisine and have class. Why is it that the French have a balanced meal plan and fast food is dominating America just to make a quick buck?

CultureMcDonalds in France
There are over 800 McDonalds in France, and José Bové (the farmer turned activist who in an act of civil disobedience drove a tractor into a McDonalds) aside, the French just love McDo (pronounced Mac Dough) as it's called in France. The first McDonalds in France was built in 1979 and is located in Strasbourg's Les Hall shopping center.
The French did at one time have a love/hate relationship with McDonalds; it was seen as part of an American cultural invasion. That seems to be past as McDonalds has so become a part of French culture that it's not seen as an American import any longer, but wholly French. In short, McDonalds has grown on the French just like in so many other countries.
I've been to a few McDonalds in France and, except for one in Strasbourg that looks from the outside to be built in the traditional Alsacien style, all McDonalds in France that I have seen look no different than their American counterparts.
Yes, there are those that still curse McDo (They are now a very small group and mostly ignored.) as the symbol of the Americanization of France and who also see it as France losing its uniqueness in terms of cuisine. The menu in a French McDonalds is almost an exact copy of what you would find in any McDonalds in the United States. It struck me as a bit odd that I could order as I would in the United States, that is in English, with the odd French preposition thrown in.
If truth were told, the French who eat at McDonalds are just as much at home there as any American could be.

McFood will never beat Wimpys!

http://www.wimpy.uk.com/

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Welcome to England where service with a smile has been replaced by service with a face like a smacked arse, and a loogie in your meal.

Where the £25 fillet steak is the size of a postage stamp and tough as old boots.

It's not all bad in America you know.
Yeah, Limey bashing ... that always makes Americans feel better.
You do realize that Used Future is a "Limey"...

You do realize that Used Future is a "Limey"...
Of course I realised it (I may be lying about this) I have difficulty understanding how they speak south of the Watford Gap. Maybe Used Future's a southerner & the accent threw me.

I feel like the overwhelming majority of arguments in this thread are about cultural stereotypes and broad generalizations.
Not necessarily true, I've met French people who don't drive like homicidal maniacs & can park properly.