World War II HoF

Tools    

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I'll be sending in my list this weekend.

I was going to do it a couple of weeks ago, and I just never did. And, honestly? I kind of forgot all about doing it then - until I read CR's post above mine. .

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
I'll be sending in my list this weekend.

I was going to do it a couple of weeks ago, and I just never did. And, honestly? I kind of forgot all about doing it then - until I read CR's post above mine. .
It's ok SV, the deadline is only in 2 weeks!

How's everyone with the watchings? I know CR and SilentVamp are finished, I just finished Giovanni's Island which was my last watch (I'll post my thoughts here, soon).

Giovanni's Island

It's such a shame more people are not on this HoF, because this deserves to be seen! One of Guap's best noms so far!
The animation is beautiful and the story is really heart wrenching. The first half is amazing, I loved the relationship with the russian girl! The second half drags a bit on the beggining but it ends up being equally stunning!
If you liked Grave of the Fireflies, you'll love this!!!

As far as I know, Giovanni's Island is now one of the only anime films I have seen. I remember when I was younger, I would occasionally read some of the anime and manga books or watch the shows they showed on television. I never gained any interest in this type of art form.

I have to say that this is a very visually pleasing film. I especially loved the space travel sequences. I also thought the ending was fairly well done. This was overall a pretty good experience for me, and definitely makes me think about watching some more anime films.

Let the night air cool you off

As far as I know, Giovanni's Island is now one of the only anime films I have seen. I remember when I was younger, I would occasionally read some of the anime and manga books or watch the shows they showed on television. I never gained any interest in this type of art form.

I have to say that this is a very visually pleasing film. I especially loved the space travel sequences. I also thought the ending was fairly well done. This was overall a pretty good experience for me, and definitely makes me think about watching some more anime films.
You should. Start with Studio Ghibli films, they are the most accessible anime films and some of the very best.

Au Revoir les Enfants is an excellent film and one of my favourite nominations so far. The large cast did well. I really liked the look of the sets and weather conditions that it was shot in. I'm sure the season had much to do with it, but the constant gloomy, depressing weather really captured the general feel of the film. It's also interesting that his film was based on the events in the director's life during the war. Louis Malle gave us what felt like a very real insight into life in occupied France during the second World War.

Judgment at Nuremberg is a film I've been meaning to watch for a while, and this HoF gave me the perfect excuse to finally do just that. I can see what I was missing. The stellar acting is what really impressed me the most with this film. Despite its lengthy runtime, I felt like I was ready to sit inside that courtroom for another couple of hours.

The Great Escape is a film I've watched a few times before, but I was more than happy to sit down for another round. This film has just the right combination of everything you want when you watch a film. The events depicted in the film also encouraged me to do a little research and read up on life in PoW camps and at some of the more well known attempts at escaping. This is always a treat to watch, especially when Steve McQueen tries his hand at some motorcycle stunts.

You should. Start with Studio Ghibli films, they are the most accessible anime films and some of the very best.
Studio Ghibli's stuff might be among the most universal movies as well, movies that one can recommend to people of any age, gender or cultural background. Although their superiority is undeniable because their two directors are the kings of animation.

1 week till the deadline.
I just received the list from guap! I am still waiting to hear from lukey momo about his watchings!

... I didn't want to finish this with 5 films...
That's very disappointing we started with 10 films, I wish people would either finish the Hofs or not join in the first place! It's rude to make others watch another's film, then that person drops out!

Each of these people who dropped out, took a couple hours of our lives when we watched their films. That's time spent that we will never get back.

When someone joins a Hof it's a contract. You pledge on your honor, to watch all the films...in exchange, all the other members pledge to watch your film. It's wrong to join and then drop out. That's breaking your word!

I can understand on rare occasion someone might have a personal crisis or change of job that causes them to drop out. But when it happens over and over again, that's plain wrong. Especially when that person keeps posting on MoFo on a daily basis. If you have free time to post, you can watch the nominations.

Pussy Galore has 3 movies left so he's still in! Lukey didn't answer me yet so he'll probably be out. 6 movies out of 10... Could be worse... Could be better too.