The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Seen both, voted for neither. I thought Clerks was just alright, a 6/10. I found Happy Gilmore to be one of Sandler's weaker comedies,a 5/10 from me.

Seen 38/38 (100 %)

Happy to see Happy Gilmore make the countdown. Now if only Will Ferrill and that other guy who I can't think of right now makes the countdown, then I'll be Happy

Yeah, Clerks belongs on our countdown as it was really fresh back in the day.

Clerks was on my list. It doesn’t look good and there’s no story. This movie survives on the characters and dialogue alone and that’s kind of impressive. As a high school kid wanting to be a filmmaker it was inspiring to me that some schlubby guy from Jersey scraped together a bunch of money and credit cards and made this good of a film with just his friends.

“My mom’s been ****ing a dead guy for thirty years. I call him dad.”

Happy Gilmore was a childhood favorite and I still catch pieces of it from time to time on TV. Shooter McGavin is so much fun to watch.

“Damn alligator bit my hand off!”
“Oh my god!”
“But I tore that bastard’s eye out.”
“You’re pretty sick, Chubbs.”

Clerks was #45 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1990s List. Happy Gilmore was not on that list nor any other. Not even Top 100 TV Game Show Host Movie Cameos, which was a travesty, really.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

"You think the average Stormtrooper knows how to install a toilet main? All they know is killin' and white uniforms."

I like low-key humor, I like independent cinema, but I have never liked Clerks or come anywhere near the cult of Kevin Smith. I do like Dogma but find just about everything else...meh. Especially his debut. I could watch Jarmusch's Stranger Than Paradise or Spike Lee's She's Gotta Have It or John Sayles' Return of the Secaucus Seven or Hal Hartley's The Unbelievable Truth any time but find it a chore to sit through Clerks.

I cannot stand Adam Sandler.

Something for everyone: if you like Adam Sandler comedies, hey, here's one (and for my money it's probably his best). If you don't, hey, it's not that high! Not as high as a lot of you feared, at least.

Boo hoo, not seen either. Clerks really sounds like it ought to be up my straße and I know it's pretty well thought of by a few people that normally jive with my sense of humour ... but the one time I started it the only reaction it was inspiring in me was boredom so I shut it off after something like 15 minutes. That's 15 minutes more than I've ever seen of Happy Gilmore ... and I've really no desire to change that.

Seen: 20/38

I have seen both. And for Clerks I honestly can't remember much if anything about it. That's actually pretty surprising for me. Usually I remember a bit from every movie I've ever watched, but with this I know I've seen it for a fact, but I have no clue about its content whatsoever. Looking at my rating I liked it okay, but I think I probably respected it more than liked it.

Happy Gilmore is a better Sandler comedy. I've seen it a few times. Not recently though and only in tv. I've never put it on myself when I wanted to watch a comedy. I remember thinking it's pretty funny.

Between SNL and his first few movies there probably wasn’t anyone who made me laugh more in the 90’s than Sandler. I totally get why the bloom has left the rose. I get why people younger than me don’t like him. I think he is an extremely funny guy who’s schtick grew tired, not an uncommon thing with comedians. Gilmore is my fave and my #22. I think Billy Madison was a more popular movie overall, so I still think there’s a chance we endure one more round of Sandler hate before all is said and done.

I was the proper age for Clerks and was even working at Blockbuster when it came out, I still never watched it. Remedied that in preparation for this list and, unfortunately, thought it was dreadful. Despite 15 years in retail, I didn’t relate enough to get the joke. Hockey on the roof and leaving the store at my leisure was but a pipe dream.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Clerks is funny and all but there's no way I was going to vote for it. Same thing goes for Happy Gilmore, Bob Barker notwithstanding.

And so the streak is broken - I've seen 66-100 but never seen Black Dynamite (2009). Should I? It did look funny, but not enough to draw my interest at the time.

I have seen the other films, though. Kung Fu Hustle is a lot of fun, but honestly I forgot it existed. Clerks is a classic and has its moments but there's no Kevin Smith on my list (no shade at him, I like his films but none rise list level for me). Happy Gilmore is a great choice, the funniest Sandler ("the price is wrong, bitch!"), though I'll admit it wasn't even on my initial brainstorm list.

I was in my early-mid teens when Clerks came out, so unsurprisingly I loved it at the time. I suspect it wouldn't be nearly as funny for me today, but who knows.

I don't know if I've seen all of Happy Gilmore. I think it was one of those movies I had no interest in at the time. I remember in college, it came on TV while channel surfing and my friends apparently loved it. We watched a few minutes and either I left or we continued channel surfing. My only recollection is not finding it funny in a painful way.

I think the only Sandler comedy from the era that I recall watching all the way through and thinking was at least decent (and watchable) was The Wedding Singer. No idea if I'd feel that way now. I guess between The Myerkowitz Stories and Punch Drunk Love (which I love less than everyone else, but hey, it's not terrible, IIRC), he does have two comedies I'd probably still (re)watch.

I don't find Clerks laugh out loud funny, but it certainly has its 1990s mall rat charm.

Don't think I've ever seen Happy Gillmore, even in my middle school Adam Sandler phase. But I wouldn't mind watching it now

Did have a chance to check out Mean Girls and it's actually hilarious, and a great addition to the list. Quotable, occasionally shocking, and memorable.

Welcome to the human race...
One vote. Clerks was my #23, something I very much dug when first getting into movies and have watched probably a couple of dozen times but I've let it fall slowly but surely by the wayside as the years wore on - at the same time, I don't think I'll ever truly give up on it. Not big on Sandler in general but Happy Gilmore is probably the best of his straight-up comedies (and I might actually be factoring Punch-Drunk Love into that assessment).

Crazy that we’re near 40% done and you can still make the list by appearing on as little as four lists. Really goes to show the diveristy of votes

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
I learnt about Clerks a decade ago, noticing some acclamation about it. Then, I've put it on my consideration list. Alas, couldn't find it and forgot this title.

Never heard Happy Gilmore.

I have a begrudging respect for Clerks, even though it opened the door for Smith to make more and considerably worse movies.

I don't even begrudge Happy Gilmore. The kind of movie that causes me to cover my face when I see the rest of the world laughing at it. Strangely, Sandler has proven himself to be a fairly decent dramatic actor, and managed some amount of charm in the Wedding Singer. But he is just a giant nothing to me in regards to his day job. Not funny. Not even remotely