Christianity, Religion and Atheism

Tools    

(can I call you Bagface?)

Sure. At least until I get my own avatar.

B&W
I am spending about 2 hours a day on them.
On the debates in the Mofos forum?

Maybe an hour a day here, and an hour a day elsewhere. I'm giving it all a rest for a while. Too tiring! The messages tend to just get bigger and bigger, and the incorrect side never admits they are wrong! Just kidding.

Long drawn out debates stink unless you "know" you're right and that you're like one of the two people who the debate is really between. Famous debates include:
  • Chris and Matt (SB) -- the attitude of Mainstream Culture
  • Chris and Timing -- Evolution
  • Chris and Tyler -- the existance of God
  • Matt (SB) and Goodf3lla -- the use of drugs
  • Holden and Everyone -- on how much better Holden is than us

If you're not one of those people those debates are basically insanely boring. And that's why we need a word limit of 150 during these debates. And I agree with Sexy Celebrity. In order to post in a debate you must be accompanied by a funny picture and/or illustration.

You were debating with henry hill? I thought it was the other Matt (Toose). Anyway, me and Tyler...naw. Not even a debate. It was headed there, but he mucked it up long before it actually turned into anything worth calling an actual argument, IMO. But a cool list nonetheless. Rock on, pop culture. Fight the minority!

Shutup Chris.
I'm right, you're wrong. You're poo.

Memories...
I was debating with GF/HH towards the latter portion of the debate, along with Toose who did the earlier half (if I remember correctly). But yes. There's always the three way Matt/Kent/Chris debate of the word "the". But yeah...

It'd be nice to compile a list of "MoFo" moments and have links to them. One would of course be the Travis conversation, and the great Timing outburst at Holden.

Among many others.
A future project, perhaps?

You'd better beware of your pringle intake, Chris.
I think it's becomming a habit.

Henry Hill would be pleased....

B&W
Hey ya'll no one has been able to answer my question of sin without saying sin doesn't exist, yet.

Sorry, B&W, it looks like everyone is going home for supper!

SB, you forgot me and TWT's debates about politics, which I lose interest in after one or two posts because I don't feel like researching to respond to him.

B&W, sure, sin exists. You're right. I'm wrong. I'm headed for hell with all of the Jews, Muslims, Catholics, atheists, agnostics, gays, Buddhists, and people who don't give a motherf--k about bibles. You'll be up in heaven looking down at all of us heathens with a big, gleaming smile on your face. Hope the weather's nice up there.

Steve, you worship the pole! The Bible doesn't say gays go to hell! The Bible is disturbingly clear: sin can be forgiven. It's not being gay, or being a murderer, or any of that...it's doing so and not giving a crap at all. Not repenting. If you're gonna hate religion, at least hate it for the right reasons.

Originally posted by TWTCommish
Steve, you worship the pole! The Bible doesn't say gays go to hell! The Bible is disturbingly clear: sin can be forgiven. It's not being gay, or being a murderer, or any of that...it's doing so and not giving a crap at all. Not repenting. If you're gonna hate religion, at least hate it for the right reasons.
I never said I hated religion. Not once. If I ever gave that impression, then it was a mistake. I do hate intolerance, and I hate a lot of the ideologies associated with certain denominations of Christianity...but I never said I hated religion.

I'm sorry, but I can't believe gays will go to hell if they're good people. (I, unlike a lot of people, don't think being gay makes them bad on principle.) I don't care what the bible says. A person should not have to repent for something they have no clear choice in.

I was exaggerating for effect, I know you don't HATE it. Good people? Define a good person. I've of the mind that maybe you can't be a genuinely good person if you've turned your back on the only truly pure thing in the world, that created you, to boot. And what exactly do you mean when you say that we have no clear choice?

I was exaggerating for effect, I know you don't HATE it. Good people? Define a good person. I've of the mind that maybe you can't be a genuinely good person if you've turned your back on the only truly pure thing in the world, that created you, to boot. And what exactly do you mean when you say that we have no clear choice?
A good person is someone who respects all types of people, loves and cares for those close to him/her, is honest. Doesn't read the National Review. It's hard to define, really. Peter, who I think is an athiest, is a good person. I've known him for almost a year now, and he has never done anything wrong to me or to anyone else. I'm not of the belief that one has to accept a God or a higher power to be a good person.

About choices - I don't think that homosexuals wake up one morning when they're straight and say "gee, I think I'm gay now." I believe it's a trait that some people are born with. Among other reasons, why would somebody choose a lifestyle that will basically lower their status as a human being in most folks' eyes? When it's not your fault, you shouldn't have to repent to anybody.

A good person is someone who respects all types of people, loves and cares for those close to him/her, is honest. Doesn't read the National Review. It's hard to define, really. Peter, who I think is an athiest, is a good person. I've known him for almost a year now, and he has never done anything wrong to me or to anyone else. I'm not of the belief that one has to accept a God or a higher power to be a good person.
So, this is your own defintion of good, right? I understand that you're not of that belief, but far too often I see someone say "If they're a good person, why isn't that enough?" without realizing that maybe they're not really a good person if they've turned their back on the only TRUE good that has ever existed.

About choices - I don't think that homosexuals wake up one morning when they're straight and say "gee, I think I'm gay now." I believe it's a trait that some people are born with. Among other reasons, why would somebody choose a lifestyle that will basically lower their status as a human being in most folks' eyes? When it's not your fault, you shouldn't have to repent to anybody.
I agree...however, that operates under the assumption that God sees it as wrong to simply feel involuntary homosexual impulses. Maybe it's not. Lewis is a big believer in action over impulse. It would not surprise me in the least if a homosexual denied those impulses and was not faulted for the mere instinct. Now, as to whether or not homosexuals choose to be homosexual I don't know. Neither conclusion strikes me as too unreasonable. But, assuming they don't have much say in it (I'll concede that to you gladly, it's not worth arguing over, and neither of us has any clue anyway, IMO), then perhaps it's not wrong at all. Is a person a homosexual because they feel they want to be, or because they actually give into those feelings? I sure don't know...but I don't see any obvious contradiction with Christianity here.

I agree...however, that operates under the assumption that God sees it as wrong to simply feel involuntary homosexual impulses. Maybe it's not. Lewis is a big believer in action over impulse. It would not surprise me in the least if a homosexual denied those impulses and was not faulted for the mere instinct.
Whatever... it's a shame that in this society, many homosexuals are "denying their impulses" and not living a life they dream about, while most heterosexuals can feel more "heavenly" about their sexuality and don't have to worry about denying "impulses" and being faulted for the mere instinct.

I can't change your opinion, though. If you think homosexuals are going to hell for not feeling guilty about their sexuality, that's your view. I don't blame you personally.

Now, as to whether or not homosexuals choose to be homosexual I don't know. Neither conclusion strikes me as too unreasonable. But, assuming they don't have much say in it (I'll concede that to you gladly, it's not worth arguing over, and neither of us has any clue anyway, IMO), then perhaps it's not wrong at all. Is a person a homosexual because they feel they want to be, or because they actually give into those feelings? I sure don't know...
I do, being a sexy homosexual celebrity myself. Did I choose to have homosexuality? No, definately not. I recognized it in early childhood. Did I choose to come out about it? Yes. Now's the time I thought I'd do it here, since the topic was brought up. Even though it doesn't matter anyway since I'm not going to be dating any of you! But, I say it's good to be honest.

Honest and apparently, hellbound too.

Whatever... it's a shame that in this society, many homosexuals are "denying their impulses" and not living a life they dream about, while most heterosexuals can feel more "heavenly" about their sexuality and don't have to worry about denying "impulses" and being faulted for the mere instinct.

I can't change your opinion, though. If you think homosexuals are going to hell for not feeling guilty about their sexuality, that's your view. I don't blame you personally.
You can be that specific if you want, but yes, I think people who sin and don't regard it as sin at all, and don't give a crap at all about it, are on the wrong road. I don't know what hell means, mind you. I seriously doubt it is the literal lake of fire so many imagine. Oh, and I DO have to worry about my impulses. My impulses are not to have sex only within marriage with the person I love. My common sense tells me I should, but my impulses are another story. Heterosexuals have the same kinds of problems when it comes to sin and sexual impulse.

I do, being a sexy homosexual celebrity myself. Did I choose to have homosexuality? No, definately not. I recognized it in early childhood. Did I choose to come out about it? Yes. Now's the time I thought I'd do it here, since the topic was brought up. Even though it doesn't matter anyway since I'm not going to be dating any of you! But, I say it's good to be honest.

Honest and apparently, hellbound too.
Well, I don't like you any less for it. As for choosing it: would you necessarily knew if it was a choice? I'm not saying I disbelieve you (in case you're wondering, my theory is that some people have a predisposition to it...like a predisposition towards obesity or genes that make you naturally strong, big, whatever, etc).

I don't know if you're "hellbound." If you are, it is not because you're a homosexual, but rather, because you've turned away from the only Being that can offer you anything at all, and the same Being which gave you the ability to turn away from it.