Tobacco Industry

Tools    

Just to get in on the act (and STILL after the fact) . . . All those arguments about big biz forget to mention that coffin nails are addictive. I smoked, I quit, it nearly killed me to quit, and I STILL want a cigarette! But it would have really killed me if I kept on. It's bad for you, bad for the guy next to you, we start smoking when we;re too young and stupid to know anything except that it looks cool, and then oops you can't quit and it makes you die. What a cool deal. So don't outlaw cigarettes, just dont sell them to kids. Instead, addict all the guys that sell them and make them buy them and die. How about that?
Love,
Jozie

Back with a bang!
BrodieMan: Prohibiting tobacco commercails will probably not have the great effect you hope for. In Sweden tobacco commercials have been banned for something like ten years, and I do mean totally banned, no magazine ads, no tv ads, no billboards, no nothing. Add the fact that a pack of cigs here costs about 3.5$, and you should have a society where pretty much no-one smokes. Sadly this isn't the case, many teenagers still starts smoking every day, just as many as in the US I would bet. Another thing our fine government tried a few years ago was to raise the price of a box of cigs to 4.5$. Guess what happened? Cigarrette smuggling increased with a few hundred percents. A few months after this had become obvious, they lowered the price to 3.5$ again. Do you think the smuggling decreased? Nooo, people had already established connections with suspicious people who could provide them with their beloved cigarrettes far cheaper, why quit now. And the real beauty is that the large scale organized smuggling soon started providing other substances than ciggarettes (like booze and drugs).

I guess what I wanted to say is this: After you have done everything you can, just let people smoke those damn cigarettes if they want to.

In fact, I'm gonna light one up right now (I can quit anytime I want, I just choose not to, yeah right )