The MoFo Top 100 Film Noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Odd Man Out was my 16. Really loved it despite only one watch. Will this be the last Reed or last on my list?

This is the Bogart show. We only live in it.

Odd Man Out looks amazing and has a typically great performance by James Mason but I never fully connected with the film and while I give it a passing grade it's not one that I would have voted for. As for the Bogart show I haven't seen this one yet but seeing as it's his last I should probably give it a shot.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Odd Man Out looks amazing and has a typically great performance by James Mason but I never fully connected with the film and while I give it a passing grade it's not one that I would have voted for. As for the Bogart show I haven't seen this one yet but seeing as it's his last I should probably give it a shot.
That's how I felt about Odd Man Out, indeed when I was looking for images for the 6-panel film strip I was amazed at just how many great shots were in the film. That's not always true for all noir...The Harder They Fall had a lot less great screenshots for me to use, but none the less a real good noir.

I'm beginning to catch up! I've seen Odd Man Out. It was good, but didn't quite make my list. I'm not familiar with the Harder They Fall.

Seen 4 of 54

3 of 54 on my list

23. Suspicion
24. The Big Combo
25. DOA

The Harder They Fall is one I've long wanted to see but, distractions in life and other films got in the way. I figured it would show up here and that's great for Bogie fans like me (I know I say I'm a fan but I seem to not have seen quite a few but I have, just not the past few that made it) and more Bogie will show, that's for sure because Bogie and noir fit together like a hand in a glove (a boxing glove, yeah, that's it!).

Odd Man Out is one I've long heard of but not seen but I really like James Mason so it will get watched, sooner than later.

#4 The Big Combo List Proper List Proper #52
#6 Kansas City Confidential List Proper #53
#14 Kiss of Death List Proper List Proper #59
#15 He Walked By Night List Proper #88
#16 The Naked City List Proper #60
#22 This Gun For Hire List Proper #78
#25 Crossfire List Proper #51

2 for 2. I've seen both The Harder They Fall and Odd Man Out. THTF was more of a straight forward character study but OMO was closer to being a work of art.

28 of 54 seen.

Odd Man Out is a grim film, but wonderfully directed by Carol Reed, and photographed by Robert Krasker. It features a stand out performance by James Mason, which some consider it his best.

But it is the settings and chiaroscuro filming that are so absorbing in this picture. It was followed by equally compelling nighttime noirish photography in The Fallen Idol (1948) and the inimitable The Third Man (1949). He's able to bring alive the dark streets and glistening bricks that are so atmospheric.

The Harder They Fall takes inspiration from the career of the '30s heavyweight, Primo Carnera. The picture is really a sports drama. There's good photography by Barnett Guffey (All the King's Men, In a Lonely Place).

Bogart gives a wonderful performance despite the fact that he was dying of throat cancer. His character's kindness to the naive big lug fighter was a nice end to Bogie's career.

Suspicion was #71 and Odd Man Out #55 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1940s.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Welcome to the human race...
one vote. odd man out ended up at #21 on my list. i do appreciate a movie that's almost entirely getaway and this is a very good example of that.

#46 The Set-Up (1949)

Director: Robert Wise
Production: RKO
Cast: Robert Ryan, Audrey Totter, George Tobias
82 Points, 8 Lists

'Expecting the usual loss, a boxing manager takes bribes from a betting gangster without telling his fighter.'

#45 Ride The Pink Horse (1947)

Director: Robert Montgomery
Production: Universal International Pictures
Cast: Robert Montgomery, Thomas Gomez, Wanda Hendrix
100 Points, 7 Lists

'WW2 veteran Lucky Gagin arrives in a New Mexico border-town intent on revenging against mobster Frank Hugo but FBI agent Bill Retz, who also wants Hugo, tries to keep Gagin out of trouble.'

Mac and Me is also my favorite noir. I had it at #1 through #25 on my list.

#46 The Set-Up (1949)

82 Points, 8 Lists
#45 Ride The Pink Horse (1947)

100 Points, 7 Lists
Whoa, seriously though, is this jump for real?