MoFo Movie Roulette II (a movie watching participation event)

Tools    

@jiraffejustin
Here are my picks for you! You have a more "worldly" watch history than I do, and I'm not overly familiar with a lot of the films you've rated highly, so I apologize if these end up being way off base.

About Elly (2009)
Directed by: Asghar Farhadi
Notes: More of a drama than a typical thriller. I actually had this in mind before I saw it was on your watchlist.

Bedevilled (2010)
Directed by: Jang Cheol-soo
Notes: Picked this just in case you're in the mood for something more violent and slightly disturbing.

Waltz with Bashir (2008)
Directed by: Ari Folman
Notes: A visually striking, and quite powerful Israeli animated war documentary.

Let the night air cool you off
@jiraffejustin
Here are my picks for you! You have a more "worldly" watch history than I do, and I'm not overly familiar with a lot of the films you've rated highly, so I apologize if these end up being way off base.

About Elly (2009)
Directed by: Asghar Farhadi
Notes: More of a drama than a typical thriller. I actually had this in mind before I saw it was on your watchlist.

Bedevilled (2010)
Directed by: Jang Cheol-soo
Notes: Picked this just in case you're in the mood for something more violent and slightly disturbing.

Waltz with Bashir (2008)
Directed by: Ari Folman
Notes: A visually striking, and quite powerful Israeli animated war documentary.
None of these look off base for me. The hard part will be deciding which one to go with. All three are films I plan on getting to at some point. About Elly seems to be pretty popular with some folks around here, so I'll probably go with that one. Then again, it looks like Waltz with Bashir is on Criterion, and I am in the middle of a free trial. But, I don't think I've seen a good, disturbing horror film in a while.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
@edarsenal

My suggestions for you are:

Memories of Murder (2003)
Tokyo Story (1953)
Foreign Correspondent (1940)
Very difficult call, but in the end, I do believe I'm in the mood to delve further into a
Bong Joon Ho with Memories of Murder and THANK YOU!!

For you, since I wasn't able to see a list of unwatched films, I went with some that may work for you with a similar feel for your top rated films:

Rome, Open City (1945) I discovered this early this year and fell in love with it and I'm thinking it MAY be up your alley.
The Crime of Monsieur Lange (1936) this is a Renoir film that is a delightful mix of a thriller with a comedic undertone to it.
Lucky Number Slevin (2008) A truly FUN stylistic crime film with a great cast. When I saw you rated Nobody very highly, this popped into my head. Nowhere near the action, but some great dialogue and twists and turns.

Should you need me to search a little more, I'm happy to do it. Also, if one of these works I do have great links to them should you need them. ENJOY

Very difficult call, but in the end, I do believe I'm in the mood to delve further into a
Bong Joon Ho with Memories of Murder and THANK YOU!!

For you, since I wasn't able to see a list of unwatched films, I went with some that may work for you with a similar feel for your top rated films:

Rome, Open City (1945) I discovered this early this year and fell in love with it and I'm thinking it MAY be up your alley.
The Crime of Monsieur Lange (1936) this is a Renoir film that is a delightful mix of a thriller with a comedic undertone to it.
Lucky Number Slevin (2008) A truly FUN stylistic crime film with a great cast. When I saw you rated Nobody very highly, this popped into my head. Nowhere near the action, but some great dialogue and twists and turns.

Should you need me to search a little more, I'm happy to do it. Also, if one of these works I do have great links to them should you need them. ENJOY
I've seen Rome Open City and it was excellent. I think I have seen Lucky Number Slevin years ago when it first came out. I will go with The Crime of Monsieur Lange.

I've seen Rome Open City and it was excellent. I think I have seen Lucky Number Slevin years ago when it first came out. I will go with The Crime of Monsieur Lange.
Cool, again, if you'd like me to pull two more since you've seen those, I very happy to.

Cool, again, if you'd like me to pull two more since you've seen those, I very happy to.
I think I'm going to stick with Le crime de Monsieur Lange. Thanks for the suggestion.

Here’s looking at you, kid.
@Citizen Rules

I’m going to attempt to suggest three films for you, if any of these films you have seen, if you have a profile I could look at or your taste in films would be awesome, but it seems you’ve seen a lot of good films. This is my attempt:

1. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Director: Richard Brooks

2. The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover
Director: Peter Greenaway

3. Glengarry Glen Ross
Director: James Foley

@Citizen Rules

I’m going to attempt to suggest three films for you, if any of these films you have seen, if you have a profile I could look at or your taste in films would be awesome, but it seems you’ve seen a lot of good films. This is my attempt:

1. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

3. Glengarry Glen Ross
Cool, looks like some interesting choices there. I have seen Cat on a Hot Tin Roof ages ago, I verily remember it.

@Citizen Rules

1. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

3. Glengarry Glen Ross
The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover...my wife would be mad at me that I picked an X rate violent film

Glengarry Glen Ross
....sounds like a good movie, but right now I'm not happy with real estate agents!

So I'll go with Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, I thought I might have seen it 20 years ago, but now I'm not totally sure.

Here’s looking at you, kid.
The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover...my wife would be mad at me that I picked an X rate violent film

Glengarry Glen Ross
....sounds like a good movie, but right now I'm not happy with real estate agents!

So I'll go with Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, I thought I might have seen it 20 years ago, but now I'm not totally sure.
Ok, that works, I was looking for a replacement for that film, if you saw it already lmk, found a few films to be replacements!*

Awesome choice btw!

And is The cook….. really rated x? Egad, doesn’t seem that bad 😅

I haven't seen Throne of Blood for some twenty-five or more years and I can scarcely remember anything beyond the very long traverse through the fog at the very beginning. I should really unmark it on my List to encourage a revisit.

So I watched Le crime de Monsieur Lange (1936), as suggested by @edarsenal. Directed by Jean Renoir, the film is a mix of comedy and crime drama showing in flashbacks how and why a murder happened. This didn't really do a lot for me to be honest. I liked the cinematography best of all. The story was alright, but I didn't find it overly interesting. The comedic elements were very funny to me and the crime/thriller elements were that thrilling or exciting. The acting was decent, but I wasn't really impressed with anyone. The film is only an hour and 20 minutes, but it felt longer. I'm not sure why but I can't really connect with Renoir's films. I've seen 3 now and have been underwhelmed by them. Grand Illusion is the best of the 3 I have seen (7/10), but I didn't love it. Rules of the Game was a 6/10 for me. Le crime de Monsieur Lange would be somewhere between the two for me. I still intend to eventually see more of Renoir's films to see if I will come across one I really like. This one is a

Cook is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Good job escaping it, CR!
Ha, I've seen some very mixed reviews for it. Something tells me if one liked Whithnail & I they'd like The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover. Of course I couldn't stand Whithnail & I.

Jean Renoir...I've seen 3 now and have been underwhelmed by them. Grand Illusion is the best of the 3 I have seen (7/10), but I didn't love it. Rules of the Game was a 6/10 for me. Le crime de Monsieur Lange would be somewhere between the two for me.
La Grande Illusion had it's moment but didn't do much for me and The Rules of the Game had me confused as to who was saying what, with so much dialogue from so many different characters. If I was a native French speaker I might have liked it better as I would've understood the subcontext and humor.

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (Richard Brooks, 1958)

Liz Taylor, wow! She was stunning in this!...Her acting way dynamically stunning as Maggie 'the cat', a married woman who's husband had no romantic or sexual interest in. She's quite flustered!

Liz Taylor has been referred to as the most beautiful actress of all time...and I believe it! But a whole lot of that beauty is coming from inside. I know that because while I found her captivating, when I looked for a lead image for this write up I couldn't find any screenshot that captured that luminous quality she projected in the film, so I know her beauty isn't just skin deep.

Burl Ives blew me away with his portrayal of Big Daddy a tyrant of a man who possesses so much and has so little. He so deserved a best supporting actor Oscar. Actually the entire cast was well chosen for their parts, I liked them all. Paul Newman really hit the mark as a raging alcoholic with a secret that was tearing him apart. It's too bad that the secret had to be changed for the movie censors of the 1950s.

I loved the sharp flowing dialogue that only Tennessee Williams could have penned. Indeed this was based on the hugely successful stage play.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	cat-on-a-hot-tin-roof-5-990x400.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	80365