Johnny Depp VS Kevin Bacon

Tools    

My vote is Johnny Depp for sure!

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'm going with Depp here. I really like Bacon's Mystic River performance, but I think overall Depp has more range and more potential to provide an impact to any given film.

Definitely Kevin Bacon for me. I think Johnny Depp, while talented, isn't as rangy as people think. Look at most of the roles he has done throughout the 15 years. About 80% of them have been oddball characters. Kevin Bacon's resume is as diverse as it gets. Loveable hillbilly, generic detective, paedophile, arrogant scientist, nervous expecting father, military man, etc. Depp can't compete with that range.

EDIT -

I'd also like to point out that it's not even just about range it's about who's the most effective at what they do. Depp can be an effetive weirdo but give him a role where he has to tone it down a bit, he is very bland. Kevin Bacon has the ability to take ANY role and make it interesting, no matter how everyman the character is.

I've only seen Kevin Bacon in Footloose :/

Johnny Depp is my choice. His roles in Sweeney Todd, Alice In Wonderland, Pirates of the Caribbean are just some of the recent works that he was brilliant in. His earlier works also had those diverse films where he was brilliant in Ed Wood, Benny & Joon, What's Eating Gilbert Grape and Edward scissors.

Who's the more diverse actor? Who has had the better movies? Who is flat out the better actor?
Depp on all accounts.

I think Johnny Depp, while talented, isn't as rangy as people think. Look at most of the roles he has done throughout the 15 years. About 80% of them have been oddball characters.
I think this is a little like saying: Homosexuals haven't embraced as much of the color spectrum as people think. About 80% of their symbolism are rainbows. In other words, aren't oddball characters the limits of "range" as such. How else does one express range than play oddball characters?

But in the end, I think I agree with you.

I think this is a little like saying: Homosexuals haven't embraced as much of the color spectrum as people think. About 80% of their symbolism are rainbows. In other words, aren't oddball characters the limits of "range" as such. How else does one express range than play oddball characters?

But in the end, I think I agree with you.
I think that an actor's range can be expressed in more ways than just playing these eccentric characters and I wouldn't say that such characters themeselves suggests the versatility of the actor as you would have to look at their entire body of work to come to a conclusion. Some actors simply thrive on playing silly comedic characters simply because that's where their 'strengths' lie (Will Ferrell, Vince Vaughn, most of the 'frat pack') others can't do nothing BUT play dramatic protagonist in intense dramas (Michelle Williams, Gabriel Bryne). An actor like Kevin Bacon who has a strong mix of jumping from comedy roles to oddballs to intense sad characters defines range for me.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
I think Depp has more range but Bacon is more "likeable". A long time ago, I was in NYC and ducked into a daytime double feature to escape the oppressive heat. Unfortunately for me, Flashdance and Footloose were playing. In Footloose, though, during an expository monologue by Bacon, a small boy in the theater said, "I like him Mommy". Everyone laughed, but we kind of understood that yeah, he is likeable.

Anarchist within reason
Tough one to call this one. Kevin Bacon has his performances in Footloose and The Woodsman (his best in my opinion) Johnny Depp has Edward Scissorhands and the first Pirates of The Carribbean movie (well aware there are others but these stand out to me plus di Caprio completely outshines him in Gilbert Grape, in my opinion)

I'm gonna go with Kevin Bacon, purely because Tim Burton irritates me beyond belief...
If at his council I should turn aside, Into that ominous tract which all agree, Hides the Dark Tower. Yet aquiescingly I did turn as he pointed, neither pride nor hope at the end descried, so much as gladness that some end might be.

Robert Browning 'Childe Roland to The Dark Tower Came'

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Johnny Depp.

This man is a chameleon, and some of his most outstanding performances were roles that DIDN'T involve Tim Burton or Disney pirates. It seems like some people forget that:

- "Benny and Joon"
- "What's Eating Gilbert Grape"
- "Donnie Brasco"
- "Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas"
- "Blow"
- "Public Enemies"

I think Depp has more range but Bacon is more "likeable". A long time ago, I was in NYC and ducked into a daytime double feature to escape the oppressive heat. Unfortunately for me, Flashdance and Footloose were playing. In Footloose, though, during an expository monologue by Bacon, a small boy in the theater said, "I like him Mommy". Everyone laughed, but we kind of understood that yeah, he is likeable.

Really? I would say it's the other way around. I think a lot of people like Johnathan Depp all because he APPEARS to have more range than he really has by playing these wack jobs whereas the versatility of the roles of Kevin's Bacon's filmography pretty much speaks for it's. I don't think that there is a rangier actor than Kevin Bacon. And what's more, he is effective in ALL roles. Depp is only good at the wacko jacko's.

I would say that Johnny Depp has more money. I just read that that hipster made $75 million for his part in On Stranger Tides. Let me repeat that: SEVENTY-FIVE MILLION DOLLARS. Jesus Christ.

**** being a diverse actor and picking your roles carefully. I'd be riding that wave straight into hell if I got paid 75 mil to star as a gay pirate in increasingly poor films.

75 mil. That's just plain ridiculous.

edit - Wait, what's this thread about? Just saw Johnny Depp and thought: 75 MILLION