Sequels

Tools    

Avoiding actually working at work today, we were talking about film sequels. Good ones, bad ones, films that should/shouldn't have sequels.

A very interesting question came up.

What was the first film sequel?

Does anyone know? It all depends on what you term as a sequel i suppose. I wouldn't consider Die Another Day to be a sequel to The World Is Not Enough as while they have the same central characters almost everything else is different.

We've got a wager on as to how long ago the first sequel came out. My moneys on the late seventies.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You mean sequel with a number in the title? There have been sequels for almost as long as there have been movies, and that's not even taking into account serials. Going My Way (1944) and The Bells of St. Mary's (1945) were the first two sequels to both be nominated for Best Picture Oscars (the original won), but Hollywood has been making sequels forever.

I do believe The Godfather, Part II (1974) was the first to use a number to denote a sequel, followed shortly by The French Connection II (1975).
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Cheers Holden. I thought your encyclopaedic knowledge would come in handy!

Yeah, I meant sequel in the modern sense. Either with numbers in the title or a lame excuse to make money!

Well, most of them have been excuses, lame or not, to make more money. That's a pretty universal and overriding impulse in Hollywood. Always has been , always will be.

There have always been sequels, there have always been remakes. It's simply how the game is played.

In a similar vein, what do you reckon was the first prequel?

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
I liked the Return of Frank James, all of the Sergio Leone movies, Magnum Force of the Dirty Harry series, although the other three kind of did suck..
Rambo 2 was pretty cool, Empire Strikes Back and the Road Warrior were both better than the first of their series. Beverly Hills cop 2 was a good sequel although a ****ty movie for the most part.

www.moviejustice.com - join our site and write reviews if you want, hey submit em to me and I'll post em for all to see.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201