Top 10 lists from 2001 to 1965

Tools    

I'm sorry that I didn't have it in me to take a bad computer game plot that went on for about an hour too long with terrible acting and put it in place of a movie that

A. Had a phenomenal script, great music, aweasome acting and was truly atypical of the movie norm (Hedwig)

B. A movie that, even though it didn't always work perfectly, tried the craziest sh-t, just to see what might happen, and sometimes pulled off some really cool sh-t. Not to mention was funny as hell. (Pootie Tang)

c. A movie that, although the academy considered to be last year's, was amazing, funny, dark, stylistic, creepy and emotional at the same time (SOTV)

D. Two other movies that weren't that good, but still entertaining.

Sorry, Sadesdrk. Next time let me know ahead of time what I should put where.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by SultanBigPants
Sorry, Sadesdrk. Next time let me know ahead of time what I should put where.
Don't take offense. You said it would have made your top 10...I was just letting you know where I thought you could have left something omitted to make room. That's all. I wasn't meaning to stomp on your choices. Planet of the Apes and Jay and Silent Bob were entertaining as hell...but not nearly as original as Memento. POTA was a re-make, and Jay and Silent Bob...was basically a re-hash for Smith fans.
We're all entitled to our opinions, I was just airing out my opinions of your opinions. Cool?

Sarcastic, much, Sultan? Chill out, man...she's just disagreeing with you. Better get used to it -- it happens a hell of a lot around here. Believe me, I'd know. Steve and Holden can testify as to that. Anyway, I thought POTA was beyond crap, with only the makeup and a few clever lines to save it from becoming borderline worthless.

I knew the reaction that that would get before it even happened. All I have to say is "I'm calmer than you are."

Actually, I have more to say. I have absolutely no hard feelings toward anyone on a forum for saying anything. I am nowhere close to knowing any of you at all and cannot judge you or take offense to anything you ever say. I just happened to react in that way to that particular statement. Means nothing. Sometimes, though it is fun to get a little defensive, it makes things more interesting around here.

I supported my choices in response to Sadesdrk's challenge of my choices, the manner in which I presented this defense was a tool to make my response more emphatic and I believe that it did just that. What fun would a forum be if we didn't go nuts, huh?

Wouldn't be as much fun...but I don't go nuts on purpose. Otherwise it ain't really going nuts. Oh, and I have no idea what movie that quote early in your post is from, but I'm cool as a...uh...as a...cucumber, is it? Yeah, I'll go with cucumber.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by SultanBigPants

I supported my choices in response to Sadesdrk's challenge of my choices, the manner in which I presented this defense was a tool to make my response more emphatic and I believe that it did just that. What fun would a forum be if we didn't go nuts, huh?
Amen. You can call me Sades. I'm not in love with my user name.

Now With Moveable Parts
I just read Ebert's Top 10 List, thought I'd post it for you guys:

1. Monster's Ball

2. Black Hawk Down

3. In the Bedroom

4. Ghost World

5. Mulholland Drive

6. Waking Life

7. Innocence

8. Wit

9. A Beautiful Mind

10. Gosford Park

* Here's what sucks about the list. The first two don't even open nationally until January...and where the hell is LOTR?

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
It's probably number 11.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Now With Moveable Parts
Here's an admission, I haven't seen any of the films on his top 10. Not even one.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I wanna see Ghost World, but gotta wait til that one comes out.

BTW - Steve, when does Lost & Delirious come out on DVD??? Figured you would know since you speak so highly of it.

Originally posted by sadesdrk
Here's an admission, I haven't seen any of the films on his top 10. Not even one.
Half of them are either in limited release, or just came out very recently...so that's not much to be ashamed of. Ebert wasn't nuts about LOTR: FOTR...he said it was a good movie and all, but when he got into the details, it sounded as if he didn't like it at all. IMO, it only got 3 stars because he'd be highly criticized for less...he didn't talk about it as if it were a 3-star film (he only goes up to 4, remember...not 5).

Now With Moveable Parts
He just says he likes certian movies to sound all special. I bet he compiled that list with the Academy Awards in mind... look how artsy-fartsy some of those films are...

1. mememto
2. moulon rouge
3. jay and silent bob strike back
4. amelie
5. LOTR: the fellowship of the ring
6. ocean's 11
7. Vanilla Sky
8. novacaine
9. spy game
10. sexy beast
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

I can tell all of you right now that Lord of the Rings isn't going to be on my top ten list.

I don't know, spud. I've sorta cooled off toward that movie lately, I want to watch it again though. I thought it was supposed to be released early last month, but I haven't seen it anywhere.

ahh yes Jackie Brown one of my favorites from that year as well Steve. Very misunderstood and very underappreciated one of the reasons people didn't like it is because audience want to be fed the same food all the time Quintin doesn't want to make the same type of movies all the time and the structure of this film is great and different.

try to make a couple more lists .

Originally posted by Steve
  • Hana-Bi (Fireworks)
I love this movie Beat is one of the few directors that I can count on these days to make something absolutely beautiful but harsh at the same time.

hey Steve have you seen beat's Sonatine I liked it a bit more than this one but both are amazing.

Steve: I do want to see "Monster's Ball," but I'm not going to resort to stealing it off of Morpheus..at least not yet. I wanted to see "The Royal Tenenbaums" today, too, but it's not playing anywhere out here. WTF? Seems like nothing except the biggest movies plays out here.

Mopped the floor? Pshaw. I pity you for not appreciating LOTR for what it truly is: an awe-inspiring, emotional, and amazing movie. One of the first TRUE examples of how CGI can be used to enhance a film, without relying on it.

Steve: I'll put together a list or two, but I can't go back more than a couple years...in all honesty, I didn't watch many movies before, say, 97 or 98. Dunno why...just never got into it. I will tell you this, though: "The Talented Mr. Ripley" is definitely gonna be on the 1997 list. What a weird movie; I loved it.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Steve
  • Requiem for a Dream
  • Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
  • Dancer in the Dark
  • O Brother Where Art Thou?
  • Almost Famous
  • You Can Count on Me
  • The Cell
  • Wonder Boys
  • Unbreakable
  • Traffic
  • High Fidelity
  • Shadow of the Vampire
  • Bamboozled

So there you go. I probably posted an old list, but that was ordered. I hate ordering lists, it always feels incomplete. Anyway, gimme ya thoughts, and I'll post a couple more lists later.
I think that's a fine list...except for Bamboozled and Shadow of the Vampire...those are under the top twenty for me. Love your choice of High Fidelity.

My 2001 List
[list=1][*]Amelie[*]Moulin Rouge[*]Mulholland Drive[*]Gosford Park[*]A.I: Artificial Intelligence[*]Black Hawk Down[*]The Lord of the Rings : The Fellowship of the Ring[*]Ocean's 11[*]Vanilla Sky[/list=1]