Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I've seen a lot recently, and I've not been inactive on purpose. I'm still having to use my phone and it's annoying - so I still love you all. Anyway here's what I've watched.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Knight of Cups

Black Mass

Vendetta (Big Show Film)

Sicario

Digging up The Marrow

Area 51

Everest

Sharknado 2

Skin Trade

Solace

The Martian

The Visit

Silver Linings Playbook

Bone Tomahawk

Le Amiche (English: The Girlfriends) 1955

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

The Social Network
David Fincher
I just love the approach of this film. It's just not the typical ''I'm-a-nice-guy-and-I-made-a-billion-dollars-by-being-nice-and-I-also-have-a-cat-named-Kitty'' storyline : it also shows the other side of the medal, the one that few people talk about. An entertaining and motivating movie. My hat's off to you, Fincher.

The Forest
(2016, USA)
Directed by Jason Zada
6/10

Not that scary and not a great story.. could have been a lot better

Thanks for reminding me – I remember seeing this around the same time as the trailer for The Witch. I must give it a go.

do you mean VVitch? its two V's.. not a W... lol... Im hopeing to see VVitch very soon.

The last film I saw was Autumn in New York. A lot better than I expected (Vera Farmiga helped me to stick around) and Richard Gere and Winona Ryder were a surprisingly good fit – it's that quality of eternal youth and humour, I suppose. I liked their performances, too.

do you mean VVitch? its two V's.. not a W... lol... Im hopeing to see VVitch very soon.
You are quite right – vvhat vvas I thinking! Yes, The VVitch. I'm pondering whether to avoid seeing the new trailer and just go for it when it comes out on Blu-ray. The title does intrigue me as I would like the VV stylisation to actually mean something as well as making it strange. I was thinking it might refer to a date.

One film I will also mention, which I saw over Christmas was Haunted (1995) with Aidan Quinn and Kate Beckinsale. It reminded me of some of the more recent ghost story films and certainly had its moments – I mean Aidan Quinn would look haunted tying his shoelaces so they picked the right actor for it. I think I also became quite emotionally invested in the story because it brought to mind a favourite Arthur Conan Doyle story of mine, The Land of Mist, which was inspired by spiritualism.

It is called The Witch on IMDB but the poster does say VVITCH. What does this mean?

It is called The Witch on IMDB but the poster does say VVITCH. What does this mean?
Just a stylish way of doing W I guess.. when I watch the film I will see and tell you.

Your guess is as good as mine. As I say I hope there's a reason for it as part of the story. It could be 5 5 as in Roman Numerals.

Room - 6/10
The Big Short - 8/10. Should have done my MBA before watching this one!
The Martian - 7/10.
Trumbo - 7/10
Shaun the Sheep Movie - 7.5/10.
Peanuts movie - 7/10.
The Good Dinosaur - 6.5/10.
Beasts of No Nation - 8.2/10. Simply blown away by the acting on this one by the kid and Idris.
The Revenant - 8/10.
Brooklyn - 7.5/10
Carol - 6/10.
Spotlight - 7.8/10.
Steve Jobs - 6.5/10.
Creed - 6.8/10.
45 Years - 5.5/10.
Youth - 5/10.
Hateful Eight - 8.5/10. Loved it. Tarantino got his touch back! Jackson nailed it!!
Straight Outta Compton - 7.3/10.

Most of the oscars done!!

Just did a little research, it seems to be a throwback to when printing presses had to write W's with two v's or two u's.

I think that's all. It's perfectly acceptable for someone to call it "The Witch," though, as "Vvitch" aint a flippin' word.

Just did a little research, it seems to be a throwback to when printing presses had to write W's with two v's or two u's.

I think that's all. It's perfectly acceptable for someone to call it "The Witch," though, as "Vvitch" aint a flippin' word.
I knew that the V and the W sound the same in Germanic words.. I figured it had to do with the time period of the film and the migration of those who lived in New England area are of old Germanic tribes....

I was unsure of this theory so that is why I did not mention it.

Edit: good example.. the word "vindauga" is of Old Norse origin... but Im sure you can figure the modern English word out.