Plot Twists

Tools    

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Whats your favorite plot twist(s) in a movie? For me I can't decide between two movies, The 13th Floor and Total Recall. Although there are plenty of movies with excellent plot twists(The Sixth Sense, Wild Things... etc) I'm going to have to say those two.

Total Recall just kept you guessing the whole time. Even in the end it leaves unsure whether it was all a dream, whether it was real, or whether or not it was all just an implanted memory. Plus the people you thought were going to be good turned out to be bad...

The 13th Floor had less few plot twists, but it was just so intricate that it fascinated me. I don't really want to say anything more about it for the people who haven't seen it, but if anyone wants to know who hasn't seen it I'll post a spoiler...

Female assassin extraordinaire.
I don't remember Total Recall as much for its plot twists other than the Sharon Stone one.

13th Floor had nicely done twists but at the same time they were highly predictable-- AND i came in during the last half of the movie.
_______
life without movies is like air without oxygen. there's no point.

They were predictable, but you still had to think them through. They made you wonder whether or not what was going on made sense, or if it was just jiberish. Which is what I liked.

Which Sharon Stone one? Basic Instinct?

Female assassin extraordinaire.
i mean the only plot twist i remember about total recall IS the sharon stone one.

The 13th Floor is another one of those movies I tried to watch and just couldn't get through it.

The problem with plot twists is that they are either too easy to spot (like in Kiss the Girls when Cary Elwes ends up being the kidnapper guy. That was obvious from a mile away if only for the fact that Cary Elwes wouldn't be cast in a role as small as that one was up until being revealed as the kidnapper/killer guy) or someone ruins 'em for me before I see the movie (And the someone can include the advertisements for the movie itself. I had the Sixth Sense twist figured out from the commercials and the widely publicized fact that there was a twist in the film. The Negotiator's small twist was given away completely in the trailer for the film).

I wish I could think of the movie, but I do recall seeing a film fairly recently where I was surprised by the plot twist at the end. I can't recall which film it was, though. It was something I saw this year, though (I think). I'll keep thinking about it, and I'll get back to you.

And Total Recall had more than the Sharon Stone twist. Actually, I suppose the Sharon Stone twist was part of the larger twist of "Is he a double agent or what?" twist, which wasn't so much a twist to me. (But it's been a while since I saw that movie in toto, so maybe I'm forgetting some nuances of it).

In Total Recall there was the Sharon Stone twist. The cab driver Benny turned out to be a mutant who also turned out to be a bad guy. And there were small little things that made you think differently about what was going on throughout the movie.

Argh Ryan - now Kiss the Girls is spoiled for me

No big deal - I guess that's the risk I run in starting such a website.

Re: plot twists - I had the Sixth Sense spoiled for me, so I don't know what would have happened there. I saw parts of Wild Things - plot twists were cool, but there was maybe one or two more than there should have been. Got confusing.

Best surprise ending of all time for me? "Fallen" - it didn't make total sense (it was sneaky!), but it was still quite good.

In Wild Things, during the credits the play scenes that explain how everything happened in the movie. I think it had excellent plot twists, considering I did not expect the ending at all. Plus any time Denise Richards is there, I'm there.

Wild Things is one of the best.

I also liked Arlington Road, The Game, No Way Out, The Spanish Prisoner, and House of Games.

I think Fight Club had a great little twist at the end. Fincher has way about him. A dark side that captures the worst in man. Seven had an ironic twist... Total Recall was good, and Run Lola Run.

I was actually about to ask you if you had seen Run Lola Run, given your name and all. I love that movie. It was perfectly made.

I'll have to check out Run Lola Run. I haven't seen that one.

Run Lola Run is a German indie by Tom Tywker, a girlfriend has 20 minutes to raise 100,000 marks or her boyfriend will be killed. The story is told 3 times- and is about the cause and effect of the choices we make... it's got a great soundtrack and eventhough it's in German it's very easy to watch because it's all action.... definately check it out on DVD if you have the chance...

Also I just met Brad Anderson (Next Stop Wonderland w/Hope Davis) and saw his new movie "Happy Accidents" with Annabela Sciorria (SP?) and Vincent D'Nofrio (SP?) it's being released in March and has a great twist to it. Brad's also just finished shooting a horror movie called "Session 9".

Actually, the thing about Run Lola Run is that it was shot on both film and video. So it looks better on DVD because video doesn't transfer very well to film.

I saw this on Dvd and loved it. : )

I uh.. had to clear the history on my browser and lost this website, but I bookmarked it this time. Hey, did you know there are other sites out there named Movie Forums.com? I went to like 3 of them before I found this one again.

Oh speaking of seeing movies recomended on here. I saw that one the filmguy was talking about. Now I forget the name of it, but I liked it. What happened to that filmguy? Is he still around?

Lol, its not that hard to remmember movieforums.com! Hey what are the other sites titled movieforums? Is it just that the name of their forum is "Movie Forums" I think that's pretty generic so probably nothing can be done about it. Hehehee, we're on at the same time i see. (the little "who's on the board right now" thingy)

-Brian