Film Trash Review (Review A Day, Video Review A Week)

→ in
Tools    

Somewhere out there I'm having a good time.
The Howling: Reborn - 7/10

I never watched the original Howling serious and from the look of the 1980's trailer I still don't but I can honestly say that this new film couldn't possibly do the series any harm. They do what they can with a horribly low DVD budget and do it well. Hardly ever does special effects get in the way of the story line. Now going into this film I was planning on the most predictable thing possible but seriously it does have a few great twists and turns but after those are over the film is pretty straight forward. There is some seriously good acting in here as well that shocked me and oh my god is that one girl from Ned's Declassified extremely freaking hott in this film. In closing if your looking to watch a werewolf film this Halloween season, The Howling: Reborn won't hurt your eyes or your brain. That is truly rare for a film about werewolf's.

Next Film: Tucker and Dale vs. Evil

Next Video Review: Reel Steel

Actually, if you're looking for a werewolf film this halloween, go the any one of the following: The Howling (original), An American Werewolf In London, Dog Soldiers, Ginger Snaps. I think that's pretty much all the decent werewolf films. I also like the Ginger Snap sequel and prequel, but that's just me.

I know people like The Wolf Man, Werewolf Of London and the like, but I don't really go for 'wolf man' films. Not really werewolves, IMO.

If you want something a little different, wolves but not werewolf films, there's Wolfen and The Company Of Wolves.

Ginger Snaps. I think that's pretty much all the decent werewolf films. I also like the Ginger Snap sequel and prequel, but that's just me.
I have Ginger Snaps on my list. Its been something that I have wanted to watch for a long time but never got around to it so I can't wait to see it later this october.

talking about werewolves why not underworld?

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil - 9/10

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil is exactly what Scary Movie should have been. It's smart witty and brilliantly funny going where no other horror slasher comedy has gone before. The teen characters are cliche but the way they die is not only funny but complete original. You need a seriously messed up comedic mind to create and write something this off the wall bat **** crazy. It's the most fun you will have with a horror film this year!!!

Next Film: Carrie

Carrie - 6/10

It might be that I grew up on horror films like Audition, Saw and Hostel or the fact that there are about a million and one parodies of this film but Carrie just seems weak. It's hardly entertaining and when it is, it's obvious and very over the top. Carrie tries in non traditional ways to comment on school bullying but it always feels out of place. Overall the film tries to be scarier then it is.

Next Film: The Housemaid

The Housemaid - 9/10

Shocking, Raw and Artful. The Housemaid is one of the best horror films I have seen this year and it's all because of it's subtle approach to murder and harm. The artistic approach is met with such realistic dramatic action that I feel this remake is far better then it's original.

Next Film: 11.11.11.

11.11.11. - 2/10

Yeah it was that bad. It was sad, pointless and a complete waste of time. Every character in this film says every thought that they are thinking and it doesn't help that they are trying to play the 6.6.6 car once again with 11.11.11. It's lame and sadly pathetic. I don't know what was worse Cars 2 or this!!!

Next Film: Beginners (2011)

Beginners (2011) - 6/10

It's an okay mellow drama but nothing special. I have yet to see a reason why this film is certified fresh on rottentomatoes. If your a fan of long drawn out artful gay romance films you will love this film but for the average fewer some of the experiment aspects are just a tad to much!

Next Film: American Graffiti (1973)

‎American Graffiti - 8/10

An accurate portrait of teen life in the 1960's. American Graffiti does what less and less teen comedies of today do; capture the audience that the film was designed for. This is more then just a teen comedy it's a brilliantly directed and written teen drama that has lasted the test of time.

Next Film:

‎Puncture - 8/10

This film takes a completely different approach to the basic law story. This exact risk is the film's strong-suit and weakness. It's new and refreshing and yet oddly misplaced. The experimental camera work that is placed to represent the struggles of the lawyers addiction to drugs just forces the audience out of the case at hand and makes you care less about the outcome.

The Future - 9/10

A witty and artfully exciting and refreshing comedy that breaks new ground and makes you laugh out loud. It's got the jokes of Step Brothers and the drama of 50/50 mixed into one great beautiful blend of amazing comedic genius!!!

The Last Mountain - 9/10

FINALLY!!!!! I have been waiting for a good meaningful documentary this year. So far this is the only one and on top of that it's a great one! Bobby Kennedy Jr. and the workers of the coal mining community bring about great commentary to a even greater issue. It's worth the watch to discover something of meaning in a documentary film. It hasn't been a worse year for documentary but this is a refreshing escape from the madness.

Page One: Inside The New York Times - 5/10

What a pointless discovery! The entire documentary is taking about the death of the news paper, something that we knew was going on ten years ago. If you released this film in the 80's it would have been great, then again people would have thought you were crazy. It's stupid mindless junk that belongs in a free DVD sleeve on the back of a New York Time's Paper. Oh I forgot they are paperless now so even that idea is out the window. So let me ask you this. What was the point in creating the documentary? There isn't one. Sorry for spoiling it but there is no reason to watch something that's just going to waste your time and not educate even the dumbest brain cell in your body.

Knuckles - 6/10

The Sundance select film "Knuckles" is a great raw piece of irish history. I never was able to clearly understand the concept of the film and it just seems like random back street fighting of two families that don't know why they are fighting. When watching this screener I went out the the kitchen while I was out there I asked my mom "What's happening" she responded "Hurry up they are getting ready to fight" and my response was "Isn't that what they are always doing" thats but the sum of the film.

Like Crazy - 5/10

There isn't a good soundtrack and the camera work is so handheld that you just about want to slam your head threw a wall. Just the thought of this slow paced crappy version of The Notebook winning Sundance makes me want to quite making films and just throw myself off a cliff. The story skips around way to much making the story fly by and at the same time the camera style makes the film so slow it's nearly impossible to enjoy. Even twilight fans would be bored.

Tabloid - 8/10

Another contender for documentary of the year. Tabloid is such and interesting and fun story to follow that it's so refreshing to see. In a world of inspiring deep stories, its great to se something not so serious. However it's light hearted approach is destroyed when the filmmaker tries to make a point about paparazzi being out of control. The conflict that is introduced is never resolved and that's the only true downside to this otherwise flawless documentary.

A Very Harold and Kumar Christmas - 8/10

It's no different then the first two installments but just as we did with transformers, silly movies are so much better when you know what your walking into. It never takes itself seriously and is a stoner comedy that will have anyone laughing which makes it that mus more enjoyable. If your looking for a story don't even think about watching this film. If your looking for a good time however this is the choice for you!!!