🌟 Star Trek, TOS 🌟

Tools    

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Trivia: The music played during the dance scene in Wolf in the Fold is the same music played during the dance of the green Orion slave girl (Vina) in The Cage.

"Nice place you have here, Mr. Pike."

Trivia: The music played during the dance scene in Wolf in the Fold is the same music played during the dance of the green Orion slave girl (Vina) in The Cage.

Course we were on about The Time Machine earlier and that's almost certainly the origin of the name Vina (Weena).

This is a related piece of trivia I noticed a couple weeks ago while viewing "Conscience of the King..." (Not a favorite episode of mine, but this is interesting):

When Kirk is planet-side he attends a cocktail party for the acting troupe that will soon be guests aboard his ship - there's music playing at the party... Note: this is not soundtrack background music for a scene, but is supposed to be music being played at the party. The music is a jazz version of the show's main theme song!

This is a related piece of trivia I noticed a couple weeks ago while viewing "Conscience of the King..." (Not a favorite episode of mine, but this is interesting):

When Kirk is planet-side he attends a cocktail party for the acting troupe that will soon be guests aboard his ship - there's music playing at the party... Note: this is not soundtrack background music for a scene, but is supposed to be music being played at the party. The music is a jazz version of the show's main theme song!
Not a favorite of mine either, but yeah, I do remember how they used the Star Trek theme.

This reminds me of something else. Gene Roddenberry screwed composer Alexander Courage out of 50% of the royalties for Courage's Star Trek theme by adding lyrics to the piece. The lyrics were mediocre, but it rewarded Roddenberry half the payments for Courage's theme. Gene Roddenberry was a shrewed businessman, but he was not a very nice person. Courage was pissed and swore he would never write for Star Trek again.

Not a favorite of mine either, but yeah, I do remember how they used the Star Trek theme.

This reminds me of something else. Gene Roddenberry screwed composer Alexander Courage out of 50% of the royalties for Courage's Star Trek theme by adding lyrics to the piece. The lyrics were mediocre, but it rewarded Roddenberry half the payments for Courage's theme. Gene Roddenberry was a shrewed businessman, but he was not a very nice person. Courage was pissed and swore he would never write for Star Trek again.
Here's a question to you or anyone else - in the couple episodes where Uhura sings, does she sing lyrics to the tune of the show's main theme (but at a slower tempo)?

I'm asking because I can't tell if the tune is the same or not (and if these are the lyrics you're referring to).

I know Uhura sings in Charlie X (before Charlie stops her voice) and again in Conscience of the King as she serenades Riley over the intercom while he's stuck down in Engineering.

Are there any other episodes where she sings? (And yes, we're all familiar with the "feather dance" in ST-V!)

She sings in the one with Nomad, 'The Changeling' I think the song is 'Where My Heart Is'.
OK - so that's 3 episodes she sings in (so far).
Are any of these to the tune of the show's main theme?
(My gut feeling - maybe based on some memory - says yes, but I could be wrong.)

OK - so that's 3 episodes she sings in (so far).
Are any of these to the tune of the show's main theme?
(My gut feeling - maybe based on some memory - says yes, but I could be wrong.)
Geez, I don't have an ear for melodies so I couldn't say. I bet you could find clips of all 3 songs from Uhura on YouTube and post them here. Maybe then someone with a discerning noggin can tell?

Geez, I don't have an ear for melodies so I couldn't say. I bet you could find clips of all 3 songs from Uhura on YouTube and post them here. Maybe then someone with a discerning noggin can tell?
Yeah, I'm trying that... but not coming up with anything comprehensive.
It appears that "Where My Heart Is" is actually titled "Beyond Antares" - and that's the song she serenades Riley with in Conscience of the King.

So we may be back to 2 episodes where she sings, since I don't think she sang in the Changeling (unless it was a different song.)

The song she sings in Charlie X is one she's apparently making up as she goes along as it's a song making fun of Spock as he accompanies her on the Vulcan lyre.

I guess my question now is: was Beyond Antares the same tune as the show's theme song - my ears now are telling me no (I kept pausing the video and humming the theme song), it's not the same composition, not even if slowed way down.
But... I could still be wrong!

I never thought of that. Interesting.
Actually the Doctor Who story Timelash, which involved H. G. Wells and was partly based on The Time Machine has a character called Vena, one character different .

How awful, especially as his music was such a vital component for the series.

I guess my question now is: was Beyond Antares the same tune as the show's theme song - my ears now are telling me no (I kept pausing the video and humming the theme song), it's not the same composition, not even if slowed way down.
But... I could still be wrong!
No. These are the lyrics to the theme music:

(Lyrics by Gene Roddenberry*)

Beyond
The rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me.

source: https://www.lyricsondemand.com/tvthe...reklyrics.html

In her autobiography Beyond Uhura, Nichelle Nichols states that she did not sing the desert song in Star Trek V. A member of a band called Hiroshima sang it. The song was called The Moon’s A Window To Heaven. I don't believe a reason was given as to why she couldn't sing it. Nichelle Nichols was a professional singer and had once sang with Duke Ellington before she appeared on Star Trek.

Hah! I always assumed Nichelle sang the vocals in ST-V since, as you said, she was a professional singer. It wasn't like it was a major ballad or anything either - just a few short lyrics.

It sure sounds like it could have been her voice!

How awful, especially as his music was such a vital component for the series.
Gene made enemies with the suits at NBC too. They screwed him by airing the third season of Star Trek Fridays at 10pm. This killed Star Trek as most teens are on dates at this time and the younger kids are asleep. The ratings fell and the Enterprise sank like the Titanic.