Latitudes

Tools    

She only did 7 theatrical films. The only 2 I've heard of was Marriage on the Rocks and the one with Elvis, Speedway 1968.

I added Fear in the Night (1947) to my watch list, sounds interesting, thanks for mentioning it

Rules, hope you don't mind me using your thread to post this thought, but I re-watched Star Trek the Motion Picture (1979) again during the big snow storm. As the credits came up at the start I suddenly realized that over half the main cast was dead!

Leonard Nimoy
DeForest Kelly
James Doohan
Majel Barret
Peris Khambatta
Grace Lee Whitney
Mark Lenard (known for his role as Sarek, Spock's father, but here he played the Klingon Captain).

Of the original TV crew, only William, George, Walter and Nichelle remain.

A bit sad and a little scary.

"This is how I define unwarranted."

For Rules: Have you seen the documentary Jodorowsky's Dune (2013)?
Watched it today and thought of you - not just because it was about "Dune," but because there were some interesting tid-bits about Orson in it.

Hey Captain, yes! I have seen it and it was darn interesting. I remember Orson Welles was mentioned to be a possible cast member, perhaps the Baron Haronnen? Did you like the documentary? I did and I thought a lot of the art work by the guy who did the creature design for Alien, H.R. Giger. It looked like this Dune could have been pretty cool.

I reviewed it:
http://www.movieforums.com/community...29#post1253029

Thanks! Yes, I enjoyed it. It was kind of amazing the level of artists J. was able to recruit.

I kind of have a feeling that Orson would deny the story that J. told about him (although we'll never know) - that Orson initially refused the role, but then was convinced to agree to it when J. told him he'd hire the chef of the restaurant they were in, so Orson could eat everyday on the set just like they were eating in the restaurant that evening!

Now I'll go read your review!

...I kind of have a feeling that Orson would deny the story that J. told about him (although we'll never know) - that Orson initially refused the role, but then was convinced to agree to it when J. told him he'd hire the chef of the restaurant they were in, so Orson could eat everyday on the set just like they were eating in the restaurant that evening!

Now I'll go read your review!
Ha! I had forgotten about that story It sounds like a tall tale, but the director told it very well. I'm glad you mentioned that.

The Pick-up Artist (1987)
Director/Writer:James Toback
Stars: Molly Ringwald, Robert Downey Jr., Dennis Hopper
Genre: Comedy Romance
Rating: PG-13
First Watch

'A pick up artist meets his match when he falls for a woman in debt to the mafia.'

Ugh! I don't even want to review this. What a bad idea for a film!

We have an intelligent 19 year old girl (Molly Ringwald), who's a museum tour guide. She bumps into a 22 year old pick up artist on the streets of New York, played by (Robert Downey Jr). She's not impressed with his pick up lines, but hops into his 1969 Camaro and has sex with him anyway. That folks is risky sex! I doubt that it happens all that much and it's not that type of movie anyway!

Besides, who wants to see Molly Ringwald who was 19 in real life and had just played a teenage school girl the year before, play car hop-bop.

But if that's not bad enough, we get scary, mobster types threatening to kill everyone and they mean it too. When they are on the screen, the movie is like Wiseguys meets Pretty in Pink.

This needed to be a serious thriller drama if you want gun toting Harvey Keitel to be in it. He's good but in the wrong film. The Pickup Artist is not a romance comedy by any means and doesn't deliver.

Robert Downey Jr is lively in this and quiet animated in his performance. But Molly Ringwald is boring, her character makes no sense. She's out of her element her and another actresses should have been cast. Oddly enough you have Dennis Hopper, Harvey Keitel and Danny Aiello in this to boot. What a waste of talent, thanks to one stupid script.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	PickupArtist.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	24073  

I like Robert Downey Jr., but The Pick-up Artist sounds like a movie I can skip.
Because..........................................................
Molly Ringwald's in it, right?

Crud, I need to proof read before I post! I blame it on bad vision and my cold! Sorry for the stupid typos, I just fixed them.

I've been watching all of Molly's 80s big hit movies. I think I'm done now watching her films. I really liked the ones everyone knows about but the rest are average to sub par.

I did really like it, Radio Days too. I haven't seen many Woody Allen films but I'll get there.
I am a Woody Freak. I've got more than 40 of his movies. If you have not seen Hannah and Her Sisters give it a go. Im a big fan of Purple Rose also. In Hannah Michael Caine fit well into Woody's script.

Wow 40 of Woody's movies, that impressive. So what are your favorites?

Hannah and Her Sisters, I've heard good things about that so I will try to give that one a watch.

Ivanhoe (1952)
Director: Richard Thorpe
Stars: Robert Taylor, Elizabeth Taylor, Joan Fontaine
Genre: Adventure Drama Romance History

A knight seeks to free the captive King Richard and put him back on the throne.

I liked this, if I hadn't feel asleep during the middle I might have liked it better. It's not the movies fault, I was tired. This was an easy watch and a young Elizabeth Taylor is easy on the eyes. But this was early in her career so the focus is not totally on her. The lead is Robert Taylor who's an actor that has little on screen charisma. He's not bad, but just not a stand out actor.

This also has a young Joan Fontaine who looks a lot like her older sister Olivia De Havilland.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ivanhoe-1952.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	24187   Click image for larger version

Name:	001a2535_medium.jpeg
Views:	410
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	24188  

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Ivanhoe (1952)

I liked this, if I hadn't feel asleep during the middle I might have liked it better. It's not the movies fault, I was tired.

I've fallen asleep during movies when I'm tired, but I usually just watch the rest of the movie the next day.