Can someone suggest a Great Love and Romance movie for today?

Tools    

Whisper of the Heart and Princess Mononoke (partially, it's more of an action epic though) are very good animated romance movies but the best one is (if you have no problem with animated homosexual romance movies with use of horror elements) the PMMM duology.

Animated movies are also very welcome I actually thought about the Beauty and the Beast (1991) from the list of Arcanis above. I usually watch tv shows, as Elementary, Rizzoli and Isles, about fictional existance of teams, and about intellectual searches for truth or solution. Watching standalone movies is a completely different thing. Yes, I will really appreciate suggestions for animated movies as well, thanks

Whisper of the Heart and Princess Mononoke (partially, it's more of an action epic though) are very good animated romance movies but the best one is (if you have no problem with animated homosexual romance movies with use of horror elements) the PMMM duology.
I will grant you on Whisper of the Heart for sure. I also suggest From Up on Poppy Hill, The girl who leapt through time, Tangled, The Place Promised In Our Early Days, Wonderful days, Ocean Waves, Metropolis and Children Who Chase Lost Voices. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
You don't need to mention it, McConnaughay
I am first reading parts of the plot before deciding to watch a movie.
And why would anyone disagree?
I presonally think of bad end movies as of unfinished paintings: the solution is what makes them complete and beautiful. So I see The Great Gatsby book/movie as simply unfinished. Thanks for the suggestions
Huh, that's an interesting way of looking at things, and I can't really understand it. Some of the best movies are the ones that bring out pieces of reality, in-reality, life isn't always a happy-ending, in-fact, an ending that isn't tragic is particularly rare. A film forcing itself to have a happy-ending for the sake of it is blasphemous, for example, if Scarface would have ended in any other way than the way that it ended, the entire point would be lost. Donnie Darko has an ending that almost "made" the movie. It isn't too much of a happy one either. Good or Bad. It's just another type of feeling. It means nothing to a movie's completion. At least not to me.

Huh, that's an interesting way of looking at things, and I can't really understand it. Some of the best movies are the ones that bring out pieces of reality, in-reality, life isn't always a happy-ending, in-fact, an ending that isn't tragic is particularly rare. A film forcing itself to have a happy-ending for the sake of it is blasphemous, for example, if Scarface would have ended in any other way than the way that it ended, the entire point would be lost. Donnie Darko has an ending that almost "made" the movie. It isn't too much of a happy one either. Good or Bad. It's just another type of feeling. It means nothing to a movie's completion. At least not to me.
I mean in arts in general, not only movies. So, I can start my answer with portrait paintings. You might have noticed that some street artists, offering to paint your portrait from a photo, or from looking at you, end up by achieving resemblance in a couple of details only, and the result is too technical, and ugly. Now compare this with a painting of Leonardo Da Vinci - where the pictured ones have souls. I mean that a great painting will find the beautiful. A great book or movie will not force an happy-ending, it will just show a direction. I am sorry that I am going beyond movies here, but my favorite books are Love in the Time of Cholera (Marquez), and Hannibal (Thomas Harris). I am personally a biologist (by education background, and beliefs), I believe that life is not impossible, it has to simply get correctly placed. None of the books which I mentioned delivers "The World", both books however are in my opinion love stories which never stop searching for a solution, for a world, decade, after decade, and both books tell me, that impossible is not an option.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Silver Linings Playbook.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I mean in arts in general, not only movies. So, I can start my answer with portrait paintings. You might have noticed that some street artists, offering to paint your portrait from a photo, or from looking at you, end up by achieving resemblance in a couple of details only, and the result is too technical, and ugly. Now compare this with a painting of Leonardo Da Vinci - where the pictured ones have souls. I mean that a great painting will find the beautiful. A great book or movie will not force an happy-ending, it will just show a direction. I am sorry that I am going beyond movies here, but my favorite books are Love in the Time of Cholera (Marquez), and Hannibal (Thomas Harris). I am personally a biologist (by education background, and beliefs), I believe that life is not impossible, it has to simply get correctly placed. None of the books which I mentioned delivers "The World", both books however are in my opinion love stories which never stop searching for a solution, for a world, decade, after decade, and both books tell me, that impossible is not an option.
I don't really see what that has to do with the discussion on-hand which is your statement that "bad end movies as of unfinished paintings." That statement can be taken a number of ways, like for example, that you are saying that movies with a "bad" end as it, mediocre or poorly done, are incomplete. I can understand that statement, however, in-context, you asked for a movie with a happy-ending and that's what I initial response was pertaining to. Thus, cognitive reasoning would dictate that you were implying that a movie with an "unhappy" ending is something that you consider as complete.

With that, my argument is that life isn't always an optimist's playground, and therefore, that isn't how it should exclusively be played in cinema. You didn't seem to correct my reply, giving reason to believe that I assumed correctly. And in that, we bring ourselves back to the crux of this post, and that's that I don't really see what life's possibilities or anything that you mentioned has to do with whether or not movies with a "bad" endings are complete. Feel free to elaborate or connect the two.

If everyone likes the same things, the world will stop existing
World's existence (from biological point of view, and from my own as well) is based on the existence of niches of interests, and preferences.
I do not intend to see statements or understandings as right, or wrong, neither as corrected. I was simply explaining that I personally prefer it when a movie or book is centered around the author's idea: "I have seen beyond the description, i have discovered what the solution is, or at least what the question is" - this is what I call a happy-ending movie We might well both be speaking about similar things: I do not like forced and unreal happy-endings either. I just like questions and solutions, in everything, including movies. Thanks for the discussion, highly appreciated I work in a never-open-your-mouth business environment, and even when you call my statements incorrect, I still prefer this to silence

Some romance movies I would recommend is Brief Encounter, Casablanca, and Gone with the Wind. I hope this little list helps you out.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
If everyone likes the same things, the world will stop existing
World's existence (from biological point of view, and from my own as well) is based on the existence of niches of interests, and preferences.
I do not intend to see statements or understandings as right, or wrong, neither as corrected. I was simply explaining that I personally prefer it when a movie or book is centered around the author's idea: "I have seen beyond the description, i have discovered what the solution is, or at least what the question is" - this is what I call a happy-ending movie We might well both be speaking about similar things: I do not like forced and unreal happy-endings either. I just like questions and solutions, in everything, including movies. Thanks for the discussion, highly appreciated I work in a never-open-your-mouth business environment, and even when you call my statements incorrect, I still prefer this to silence
Let it be clear that I never referred to your opinion as incorrect, rather, I explained my own, and tried to understand yours. I believe that there are too many people that have discussions and feel the only way to converse is by bad-mouthing another individual's opinion because they aren't able to back themselves up and it frustrates them. Rather, I am trying to understand your opinion and why you feel the way that you do. There does seem to be a misunderstanding, however, and that misunderstanding roots to your modified use of the word "happy ending," which is what was confusing me. A happy-ending generally pertains to something in-which the conclusion is optimistic for the protagonist. Whereas, what you cite as being a happy-ending to you is that the protagonist discovers something what he has been looking for since the beginning of the movie which I believe isn't as much a happy-ending to a movie as it is closure.

For example, Oldboy would meet your criteria for a "happy-ending" in that the main-character uncovers why he was imprisoned all of those years, and therefore discovers what he has been looking for the entire movie. However, if you've seen the movie, you'd know that it's far from happy, and is actually quite tragic and devastating. We may very well be speaking of the same thing, but by the actual definition of a happy-ending, and your statement that movies without a happy-ending aren't complete, we'd be disagreeing.

Well, debating about love stories seems to keep people's thoughts around love stories
This is a forbidden social area. Since few people allow themselves to love, I think this is why they won't allow it to others either. I think that waking up the idea of thinking about love stories, creating even a debate about love stories would make the world wider, more accepting to love stories

Let it be clear that I never referred to your opinion as incorrect, rather, I explained my own, and tried to understand yours. I believe that there are too many people that have discussions and feel the only way to converse is by bad-mouthing another individual's opinion because they aren't able to back themselves up and it frustrates them. Rather, I am trying to understand your opinion and why you feel the way that you do. There does seem to be a misunderstanding, however, and that misunderstanding roots to your modified use of the word "happy ending," which is what was confusing me. A happy-ending generally pertains to something in-which the conclusion is optimistic for the protagonist. Whereas, what you cite as being a happy-ending to you is that the protagonist discovers something what he has been looking for since the beginning of the movie which I believe isn't as much a happy-ending to a movie as it is closure.

For example, Oldboy would meet your criteria for a "happy-ending" in that the main-character uncovers why he was imprisoned all of those years, and therefore discovers what he has been looking for the entire movie. However, if you've seen the movie, you'd know that it's far from happy, and is actually quite tragic and devastating. We may very well be speaking of the same thing, but by the actual definition of a happy-ending, and your statement that movies without a happy-ending aren't complete, we'd be disagreeing.
Fairly speaking, I haven't seen the movie Oldboy - I can realistically comment on it only after having seen it. Principally, for me finding an answer means "I have discovered where the obstacle is, and now I can use this discovery and go forward". Finding what you need so that you can keep going, is what I call both a completed movie and a happy-ending. Like my idea of opening this discussion in the first place: I had the feeling that people too often (if not always) react negatively to love (I do not mean anyone here, I am on this forum since yesterday ), this is why I decided that I will be having discussions about love stories, so that I can create a not-negative environment. And I do intend to watch the suggested movies.
I have been very surprised here, in a Good way: everyone has love story movies to suggest

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Well, debating about love stories seems to keep people's thoughts around love stories
This is a forbidden social area. Since few people allow themselves to love, I think this is why they won't allow it to others either. I think that waking up the idea of thinking about love stories, creating even a debate about love stories would make the world wider, more accepting to love stories
The last thing I need today is a preaching about love stories.

Watch the movie, download it, or what ever.

There are very few things which I hate more than preaching - and as I say above I only believe in a world in which people stay different. I am just creating a safe environment for myself plus one, that's all

I do agree actually that La Strada can make you feel good. This is a great genre which I had forgotten: people feel mostly refreshed after watching anything scary, as they start liking more what they have. Thanks.