Movie Tab II

Tools    

A Chinese Ghost Story 2 sounds like something I'd enjoy. I have much affection for 80s/early 90s Film Workshop fantasy/Wuxias. Have you ever seen Zu: Warriors from the Magic Mountain? Story of Riki is fun, though I don't know if I'm really in the mood for more in that vein and it would undoubtedly gross my wife out so I probably won't be in a hurry to see Erotic Ghost Story. I think you've already seen my favorite HK exploitation-thriller, Naked Killer.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Yeah, I've already seen Naked Killer. It's very good, but there's a bunch of CAT III films I like even more! I haven't seen Zu: Warriors from the Magic Mountain. Actually, The Cat is nothing like Story of Ricky in terms of violence. It plays almost like a naive fairy tale. There's a terminator-like alien guy who shoots people in one scene and that's about it when it comes to violence. There's also a weird blob tentacle monster and a magic girl from other space with her cat. There's an epic fight scene between the cat and a dog and the ending scene is magical, but the overall quality of the movie is much lower than Story of Ricky (you of course have to consider that both of these are trash cinema).

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Mrs. Santa Claus (Terry Hughes, 1996)

The Lovers (Roland Joffé, 2015)

Raffles (Sam Wood, 1939)
-
The Phantom of the Opera (Rupert Julian, 1925)

Against his warning, opera singer Mary Philbin decides to unmask the Phantom (Lon Chaney) at his organ.
Kameradschaft (G. W. Pabst, 1931)
-
Car’s Life 4 (Michael Schelp, 2015)

Geronimo: An American Legend (Walter Hill, 1993)
-
The Westerner (William Wyler, 1940)

Judge Roy Bean (Walter Brennan) wants to hang (his second favorite thing) saddle bum Gary Cooper until the latter lies and mentions he’s a friend of actress Lily Langtree (Bean’s favorite thing) and tells him he has a lock of her hair.
Danny Collins (Dan Fogelman, 2015)

The Green Promise (William D. Russell, 1949)

Seven Thieves (Henry Hathaway, 1960)
+
The Big Country (William Wyler, 1958)
+

Transplanted East coast ship captain Gregory Peck, whose non-violence is mistaken for cowardice in the rugged West, bargains with schoolteacher Jean Simmons to buy her ranch which supplies water and grazing to both sides in a range war.
Margaret Cho: psyCHO (John Asher, 2015)
-
A Feather in Her Hat (Alfred Santell, 1935)

G.B.F. (Darren Stein, 2014)

The Dawn Patrol (Edmund Goulding, 1938)

Squadron commander Basil Rathbone bawls out WWI aces David Niven and Errol Flynn for flying a forbidden mission.
Little Richard (Robert Townsend, 2000)

Restoration (Michael Hoffman, 1995)

Frankenhood (Blaxwell Smart, 2009)
+
Mysterious Skin (Gregg Araki, 2004)

At an empty drive-in theatre, it starts to snow when his friend Michelle Trachtenberg says she hears the voice of God through the speaker and Joseph Gordon-Levitt agrees. It’s probably the most-idyllic scene in a harrowing film.

As with so many other films, I really should watch The Phantom of the Opera again. I remember completely loving that.

Yeah, I've already seen Naked Killer. It's very good, but there's a bunch of CAT III films I like even more! I haven't seen Zu: Warriors from the Magic Mountain. Actually, The Cat is nothing like Story of Ricky in terms of violence. It plays almost like a naive fairy tale. There's a terminator-like alien guy who shoots people in one scene and that's about it when it comes to violence. There's also a weird blob tentacle monster and a magic girl from other space with her cat. There's an epic fight scene between the cat and a dog and the ending scene is magical, but the overall quality of the movie is much lower than Story of Ricky (you of course have to consider that both of these are trash cinema).
The Cat sounds interesting. You should definitely check out Zu Warriors (not so much the 2001 remake, even though it's by the same director).

Delta Force 2: The Colombian Connection (Aaron Norris, 1990)

Night Tide (Curtis Harrington, 1961)

Braddock: Missing in Action III (Aaron Norris, 1988)

I Married a Witch (Rene Clair, 1942)

Resurrected witch Veronica Lake humorously tries to make miserable the life of politician Fredric March whose ancestor had her burned at the stake. Eventually they fall in love although he’s already engaged.
Trail to San Antone (John English, 1947)

Go West, Young Lady (Frank R. Strayer, 1941)

Take Out (Sean Baker & Tsou Shih-Ching, 2004)

The Long Riders (Walter Hill, 1980)

The James/Younger Gang is bushwhacked when they try to rob the bank in Northfield, Minnesota.
Armed and Dangerous (Mark L. Lester, 1986)

First Love (Joan Darling, 1977)
-
After the Storm (Guy Ferland, 2001)

Unknown (Jaume Collet-Serra, 2011)
-

Liam Neeson gets in an accident and goes into a coma for four days, but when he comes out of it, his wife doesn’t recognize him, there’s another man with his identity, and people are trying to kill him.
Ritual aka Modus Anomali (Joko Anwar, 2012)

Night Vision (Michael Krueger, 1987)
-
Grown-Ups (Dennis Dugan, 2010)

High Plains Drifter (Clint Eastwood, 1973)
+

The Stranger (Clint Eastwood) comes into the town of Lago and takes over, going so far as to painting the town red and renaming it Hell, but he does have an ulterior motive.
A Woman Under the Influence (John Cassavetes, 1974)

Air Force (Howard Hawks, 1943)

The Other End of the Line (James Dodson, 2008)

Baby Blue Marine (John Hancock, 1976)

During WWII, Marine recruit washout Jan-Michael Vincent, dressed in a baby blue uniform of shame, meets and is mugged by war hero Richard Gere, who switches uniforms with him in an attempt to not go on another tour of duty. The washout ends up in a small Colorado town and romances waitress Glynnis O’Connor.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Alice in Wonderland
+ REWATCH
The Day the Earth Stood Still

Rashomon

Witness
-
Reservation Road

Young Frankenstein
REWATCH
Sleepy Hollow

Batman & Robin
+
Shrek 2
REWATCH
Pather Panchali

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014, James Gunn)
- Aside from MCU's Captain America films, this is by far the best Marvel movie. The cast is superb, bringing out every type of emotion to the audience. Phenomenal action, amazing impeccable approach to humor and a soundtrack that is nothing less than perfection.

It has an emotional core and you actually get to care about each and every single character. The cast is superb, and knowing that they will all return for a sequel made me enjoy them even more. Especially Benicio as The Collector...glad he'll return too. Director James Gunn has created a cinematic space opera masterpiece that should NOT go overlooked.

I especially love the after credits in this. Purely made for fans and pretty cool!

You're Next (2013, Adam Wingard)
- It started out slow, but what do you expect for a film when it has to introduce the characters. Eventually it picks up the pace in the nick of time, bringing wit and sheer terror to a fun movie I really enjoyed. It wasn't that original, but it had it's perks and made it's mark in the horror genre. Was it worth all the hype since the Toronto International Film Festival in 2011...no not at all. But it is enjoyable.

The Conjuring (James Wan, 2013)
- It is a well executed, creepy ass, edge of your seat horror movie. Director James Wan of Saw, Dead Silence and Insidious fame continues to deliver the goods as usual. The casting is perfect especially and I am glad they chose Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson to play The Warrens. Well done and a must see! ... Just a quick interesting factin case you didn't know, The Warrens were the people who originally researched 'The Amityville Horror' case back in the 70's which the book of the same name is based on. The movie and it's sequels that came afterwards are basically rubbish.

World War Z (Marc Forster, 2013)
- It was a fun, hypnotic wild ride. Unlike other zombie films, this packs more action and suspense and makes it more of an exciting film, than just the usual eat and die fare.

The Man of Steel (2013, Zack Snyder)
- . It was the best, most emotional, awe inspiring, eye catching and fantastic Superman movie ever. I haven't seen a great superhero film of this caliber since Superman: The Movie. Although two different films, they both have great performances. Henry Cavill fit the bill as the world's savior in this epic piece of film history. The Man of Steel kicks ass beyond recognition. I know a lot of you don't like Snyder nor this film, but you really have to give credence where it's due.

Iron Man 3 (Shane Black, 2013)
- Robert Downey Jr performed amazingly as usual with his classic wit bringing the character to life to full form. I especially loved Ben Kingsley though, he was hysterical. Filled with humor, action and eye popping special effects IM3 is a must see and a great way to have kicked off MCU Phase 2.

Evil Dead (Fede Alvarez, 2013)
- Sick and awesome!! It surpassed my expectations, and was one of the best re-imaginings to a classic. Looking forward to every Deadite's fantasy come true...Ash vs The Evil Dead.

Mama (2013, Andres Muschietti)
- Pretty interesting story though it dragged on a little too much. If you want to really enjoy it, watch the last 15 minutes of it. lol

Stand Up Guys (2012, Fisher Stevens)
- Al Pacino and Christopher Walken have pretty good chemistry on screen. Not much to say really. Other than just a good gag here and there, the movie falls flat.

VHS (2012, Adam Wingard, Joe Swanberg)
- A creepy ass trip. Wickedly chilling and loads of fun. Though really not for squeamish. And much better than VHS 2 and 3.

Rock of Ages (2012, Adam Shankman)
- Extremely entertaining. A perfect blend of humor, great music and a perfect cast. Huge props go out to Tom Cruise for his role. Loved this movie!!

[b]VHS (2012, Adam Wingard, Joe Swanberg)
- A creepy ass trip. Wickedly chilling and loads of fun. Though really not for squeamish. And much better than VHS 2 and 3.
2 was a good follow-up and in my opinion a bit better than the first one...

But 3 was an absolute insult and one of the worst movies I have ever seen. So I agree there.

But 3 was an absolute insult and one of the worst movies I have ever seen. So I agree there.
cannot be more agree! V/H/S 2 is awesome and the first one was very good as well but the third one is complete crap

I just didn't think 2 and 3 fared as well in my opinion. They both could have been better to me.

Movie that I've seen from September to October:

Masterpiece:
The Shining
+
We Are Marshall

Locke

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

The Hunt

The Departed
-
Infernal Affairs
-

Very Good:
Friday Night Lights
+
John Wick
+
End Of Watch

Star Wars: A New Hope

Insidious

Panic Room
-
Maurice Richard
-
The Secret In Their Eyes
-

Good:
Collateral
+
The F Word
+
Star Wars: The Return Of The Jedi

Lord Of War

Silent Hill

Jumper

Leaving Las Vegas
-

Decent:
Facing The Giants
+
Tusk
+
The Lazarus Effect

Some good films there and ratings, Derek!

The Hunt? You've watched the danish one with Mads Mikkelsen? If so,
Hell yeah! It's the one with Mads and it was totally awesome

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
You forgot to add 'as recommended by MovieGal'. Or didn't she?

The Landlady (Robert Malenfant, 1998)

Wanda (Barbara Loden, 1970)

The Boy Who Liked Deer (Barbara Loden, 1975)

Girlfriends (Claudia Weill, 1978)

Two NYC best friends and roommates, aspiring writer Anita Skinner and photographer Melanie Mayron, become estranged when the former moves out and gets married. The photographer does graduate from shooting babies and bar mitzvahs to getting her own exhibit.
True Love (Nancy Savocca, 1989)

Border Radio (Allison Anders, Dean Lent & Kurt Voss, 1987)

After the Wizard (Hugh Gross, 2011)

Junun (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2015)

At an enormous Indian fort, a group of international musicians perform and record an album.
A Christmas Memory (Glenn Jordan, 1997)
-
Corruption (Robert Hartford-Davis, 1968)

Something to Shout About (Gregory Ratoff, 1943)

The Brain That Wouldn't Die (Joseph Green, 1962)

When his fiancée is decapitated In a car accident, a mad scientist… well, you get the idea.
Chappie (Neill Blomkamp, 2015)

Open House (Andrew Paquin, 2010)

The New Adventures of Pippi Longstocking (Ken Annakin, 1988)
-
Turtles Can Fly (Bahman Ghobadi, 2005)

On the eve of the American invasion of Iraq at a Kurdish refugee camp, armless Hiresh Feysal Rahman recovers an undetonated mine while his sister Avaz Latif looks on. She catches the attention of the camp’s young go-getter Soran Ebrahim who falls in love with her.
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close (Stephen Daldry, 2011)

D.L. Hughley: Clear (Jay Chapman, 2014)

X the Unknown (Leslie Norman, 1956)

The Streetfighter (Shigehiro Ozawa, 1974)

Badass Sonny Chiba works out with weights and then destroys all the dumbsh!ts who have the temerity to take him on.

I'm about halfway through Junun myself, Mark. Was watching last night but my internet/computer was being a bit jumpy. I thought it was pretty cool though, nice laid back spirit and great music, pretty much what I expected.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
The Howling - Joe Dante was (and still is) a pretty twisted director, and this one, about a TV reporter being stalked by werewolves, is one of his best. Scary. sexy, and blackly funny, it's almost the best werewolf movie ever made...

...if not for:

An American Werewolf in London - Sorry Joe, but John Landis' screamingly funny horror comedy just stands (furry) head and shoulders above all comers. It's scary, hilarious, and has an epic soundtrack, the first to use ironic music choices to add impact to scenes.

The Howling -

An American Werewolf in London -

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/