Antonio Vivaldi biopic - John Ottoman directing

Tools    

If you are a lover of classical music and absolutely can't wait for the next biopic of a classic composer, you're in luck! The new Vivaldi biopic will be directed by John Ottoman - who knows, this could be the next Amadeus

Editor, composer, director and producer John Ottman is teaming with film and music industry executive David Franco to develop a dramatic biopic based on the life of world-renowned Italian composer Antonio Vivaldi.

The project, written by Kevin Lund and TJ Scott, has had been long-gestating, beginning 20 years ago when Ron Howard was set to direct. After many unsuccessful attempts, including with members of the famous Italian filmmaking De Laurentiis family in 2008, the project needed a new vision.

In 2018, Franco, the music producer on previous versions, brought the script to Ottman, who he saw as the man “destined to bring Vivaldi to life.” “There’s simply no talent more suited to craft this remarkable story,” he says.

Ottman immediately got to work re-shaping the story with the writers, before the Covid-19 pandemic stalled the project once again. Now, it’s finally back on track. “After all these years, we’ve never been more confident. John breathed new life into it,” says scribe Scott. “His ideas and direction for it are truly inspiring.”

The jury’s still out on if Ottoman will score the film. “I was supposed to also score ‘Bohemian Rhapsody,’ but I felt it would date the film. Instead, I used different elements from Queen’s music, and it’s now timeless. That would be my approach for Vivaldi,” he says. “And I’d sure love to see Brian May perform the ‘Four Seasons’ for the end titles.”

Much of Vivaldi’s work was mysteriously lost for over 200 years, only to be rediscovered during World War I. Today, Vivaldi’s “The Four Seasons” is one of the most recognizable, recorded and performed classical composition in the world.

Vivaldi joined the priesthood to be commissioned to write music, much to chagrin of his jealous rival and church hierarchy. His first assignment was that of music director of an all-female orphanage orchestra where he developed a secret affair with a teacher. The film will tell his story of forbidden love, deceit and the transformative power of music.

Can hardly wait to see who is under consideration to play Vivaldi. (I’m joking.) Does he have to be Venice-born?

Can hardly wait to see who is under consideration to play Vivaldi.
I will breathe a sigh of relief if it isn't Timothée Chalamet

Oh, God, yes. So sick of that annoying little twerp. Of course they’ve got him playing Dylan. It’s the haircut, ya know.

Haha, I was about to make the same joke.

If he has to be American, I could see Paul Dano or David Dastalmachian playing him. Both have a vague resemblance.

Haha, I was about to make the same joke.

If he has to be American, I could see Paul Dano or David Dastalmachian playing him. Both have a vague resemblance.
Who’s this David fellow? Never heard of him. I don’t think Vivaldi should be played by an American.

Who’s this David fellow? Never heard of him. I don’t think Vivaldi should be played by an American.
He's a character actor who's been in lots of stuff in the last couple decades...Dune, The Last Voyage of the Demeter, Blade Runner 2049, Weird: the Al Yankovic Story, Prisoners etc. His most recent movie in which he plays the lead is Late Night with the Devil.

I haven't seen a recent Italian movie in many a season, unfortunately, so I can't suggest any Italian actors.

He's a character actor who's been in lots of stuff in the last couple decades...Dune, The Last Voyage of the Demeter, Blade Runner 2049, Weird: the Al Yankovic Story, Prisoners etc. His most recent movie in which he plays the lead is Late Night with the Devil.
He also played Bill Borden in Oppenheimer

I haven't seen a recent Italian movie in many a season, unfortunately, so I can't suggest any Italian actors.
Gabriel Garko could be a good choice!

Can’t think of any myself.