I have a new favorite horror film!

Tools    

I don't actually wear pants.
I watched the original Texas Chain Saw Massacre the other day, and man, is it freakier than anything! My life it spooked me the whole time. Well, once they get to the barmpots' house. There's minimal gore, there's minimal swearing, and there's no sexual content. It's just a tension-filled thrill. I loved it. I've seen the film twice, and it's awesome. The original Texas Chain Saw Massacre is now my favorite horror film (in case you couldn't decipher that).

Your thoughts on this movie or my thoughts or both?

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I watched the original Texas Chain Saw Massacre the other day, and man, is it freakier than anything! My life it spooked me the whole time. Well, once they get to the barmpots' house. There's minimal gore, there's minimal swearing, and there's no sexual content. It's just a tension-filled thrill. I loved it. I've seen the film twice, and it's awesome. The original Texas Chain Saw Massacre is now my favorite horror film (in case you couldn't decipher that).

My late brother ran out of the cinema halfway through and threw up. I think it was the scene with the chick on the meat hook still alive. He then told me almost in tears it ws a true story. Years later a boyfriend took me to see it then dropped me off at night where I was living which was a creepy old horse stud out in the middle of nowhere. Everyone who lived there had gone out for dinner. Later boyfriend turned up because no one was answering the phone (I was living in a self contained shack and the house was locked). He turned up fearing the worst and almost gave me a heart attack when he walked in.

I haven't seen it in a while but it stands up, doesn't it? I remember it was one of the films Ridley Scott screened when he was preparing for Alien, with the moment with the door-slam standing out for him.

I haven't seen it in a while but it stands up, doesn't it? I remember it was one of the films Ridley Scott screened when he was preparing for Alien, with the moment with the door-slam standing out for him.
I dont remember the doorslam but a stand out for me was the hysterical laughter at the end.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
It's very well made atmosphere wise, but I was really disappointed with the ending. I was thinking, "that's it"???

It's very well made atmosphere wise, but I was really disappointed with the ending. I was thinking, "that's it"???
I thought the ending was extremely stressful. How would you have liked it to end?

I'm going to have to agree that the first 3/4's of TCM is the most tense horror I've seen, pound for pound. I don't really scare at movies, it takes an oddly timed jump scare to get me spooked, so TCM keeps the spooky on the entire time. Great movie. All atmosphere.

I'm going to have to agree that the first 3/4's of TCM is the most tense horror I've seen, pound for pound. I don't really scare at movies, it takes an oddly timed jump scare to get me spooked, so TCM keeps the spooky on the entire time. Great movie. All atmosphere.
Yeh and add to that the total frustration of kids being such morons.

I dont remember the doorslam but a stand out for me was the hysterical laughter at the end.
The one that comes to mind is when Leatherface slams the steel door shut after hitting one of the kids in the head with a hammer. The kid is in the little entryway, and Leatherface runs in and bashes him in the head, then slams the steel door shut, cementing the kid's fate.

The one that comes to mind is when Leatherface slams the steel door shut after hitting one of the kids in the head with a hammer. The kid is in the little entryway, and Leatherface runs in and bashes him in the head, then slams the steel door shut, cementing the kid's fate.
I need to watch this again. Scares me just posting in this thread LOL.

I liked the ending. It proves the villain is just a screwed-up nutter. I like the refreshing take on the villain not being supernatural.

I need to watch this again. Scares me just posting in this thread LOL.
It spooked me reading the trivia on IMDb . That's the only door slam I remember, anyway. I may have to watch it again to make sure I don't forget. If you have Amazon Prime, you can watch it for free. That's how I did it.

Oh, it does. It was made for about $85,000, if I remember correctly, which is pocket change for a movie studio, and though the budget does occasionally show, it doesn't detract from anything.

Okay, I should double check before I dig a hole for myself - is that door-slam when Leatherface kills his first victim with the hammer, and then he slams the steel door shut?

Leatherface slams the metal door shut after he kills Kirk, the first victim of the movie.

He then told me almost in tears it ws a true story.
I've heard that's bubckous. No, I don't know how to spell, so I'm guessing. The biggest indicator is that it's "set" on August 18, 1973, when filming wrapped up four days earlier. I understand they invented the whole "It's real!" thing to make it scarier.

What about the last quarter?

I've heard that's bubckous. No, I don't know how to spell, so I'm guessing. The biggest indicator is that it's "set" on August 18, 1973, when filming wrapped up four days earlier. I understand they invented the whole "It's real!" thing to make it scarier.
Yes. But it's based loosely on a serial killer named Ed Gein, who wore dead people's skin. No chainsaw, though. No family of cannibals.

Yes. But it's based loosely on a serial killer named Ed Gein, who wore dead people's skin. No chainsaw, though. No family of cannibals.
I've heard that, too. I read the chainsaw bit was just something that came to Hooper in a crowded hardware (or department) store. The big about Ed Gein inspired Leatherface, somewhat, but it's almost entirely fictional. I actually knew someone who told me Texas Chain Saw Massacre is based on his family. Evidently not.

Bogus? Yeah my bro always fell for that marketing. Same for Wolf Creek.