Inception (Christopher Nolan film schedule for early 2010)

Tools    

Ah, im not living in US so i have to wait more time... ;( Nolan is truly a great director.

Well, it has a handful of negative reviews, one being Armond White

Still can't wait, I'll be seeing it friday!

Well, it has a handful of negative reviews, one being Armond White

Still can't wait, I'll be seeing it friday!
Lucky You. I am going either on Saturday or next Tuesday with my two older sisters. The date is up in the air because my oldest sister may have to work this weekend.

Originally Posted by Cries&Whispers
The writer says that whenever a movie is this beloved this quickly, it isn't long before a few iconoclast critics who always go against the grain find something in it to give it a negative review.
Which is a tragedy.

I'm probably guilty of something negative in this respect.

That is that I would come home, rate the film 9/10 on IMDB and then see it sitting at 9.6 as it currently is (Rated the best movie of all time (.2 ahead of the shawshank redemption)).

If I thought to myself, actually, it wasn't as good as the matrix, it should be no higher than 8.5. In that respect movie get dogged because people are trying to relatively compare them to other films. Its all a bit of a mind messer in the end up, your trying to compare films which in many cases is like using a spoon to cut something.

-----

Nolan is certainly a talented MOFO

I found it wonderful.

Which is a tragedy.

I'm probably guilty of something negative in this respect.

That is that I would come home, rate the film 9/10 on IMDB and then see it sitting at 9.6 as it currently is (Rated the best movie of all time (.2 ahead of the shawshank redemption)).

If I thought to myself, actually, it wasn't as good as the matrix, it should be no higher than 8.5. In that respect movie get dogged because people are trying to relatively compare them to other films. Its all a bit of a mind messer in the end up, your trying to compare films which in many cases is like using a spoon to cut something.

-----

Nolan is certainly a talented MOFO
I certainly do not try to compare movies at all. Each movie is it's own entity and has it's own things to offer to the audience. This is why I feel rating by stars or whatever are silly. It is you either like the film or you don't like it and then give your reasoning for either.

Here you are, my quick paragraph review of Inception:

Inception is a visually stunning film that may very well be one of the best stories ever told in cinema. It explores such a difficult field and navigates it so well that to not praise Nolan for his genius and ability is simple ignorance. The star of Inception isn't an actor, or actress, or the special effects, but coincidentally, it is the idea; it is the unlimited depth found in that idea. The idea is Inception's white rabbit. All it asks of us is just how far down the rabbit hole are we willing to descend.

I read an article and it said that to appearance and to get all of what Inception is about viewers may need to make 2-3 trips to the theater to see it. I know I have trouble following these sort of stories so I will definitely fall into that catagory.

Nonsense. I have faith you'll get it in one. Though you'll certainly want to see it a few more times over. I may see it again tonight, if only to see the wonderful ending again.

You know what, I'm getting really sick of this Christopher Nolan guy and his lauded films. The man needs to take a page out of nearly every other successful director's book: have a flop once in a while! You don't ALWAYS need to make a film with great care, expertise and passion! I'm sorry, I don't mean to rant. I'm just so tired of this man's awesome films.

Seriously though, I am pretty speechless. I really loved this film. I might go see it again tomorrow. I definitely need another viewing, and fast!

I certainly do not try to compare movies at all. Each movie is it's own entity and has it's own things to offer to the audience. This is why I feel rating by stars or whatever are silly. It is you either like the film or you don't like it and then give your reasoning for either.
Yes, you've pointed out the obvious.

But my point is that even though I personally enjoyed "Event Horizon", I feel "Alien" is a better film. Compatible or not, it could be "The hangover" vs "Alien", completely non comparable films, but if the hangover was rated higher, id be inclined to think there was something wrong with that, even at a subconscious level (Superficial analyses that cant be helped), Alien is just a better picture.

The star system isn't silly, its just a method of breaking down statistical reviews into a more digestible variable's. If IMDB featured 100,000,000 films half of which were "Good", half of which were "Bad", why bother atoll.

Not to be off topic here, but I don't think you're really telling the truth.

Everybody compares things of a similar nature to each other. It's human nature. People do this because it's not as simple as "either you like it or you don't." There are different levels of "I like it" and even different levels of "I didn't like it." Rating systems like points or stars (or buckets of popcorn) are simply used as an easy way to communicate what level of like or dislike you're at for a particular movie. Just because you don't use this type of system doesn't mean you don't try to compare movies. Unless, of course, I'm missing something.

I mean, how does one compile and rank a list of 100 favorite movies (as you did) without comparing them against each other?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The star or any other rating system is only as good and serious as the person using it. If the person never rates any movies ever, and then all of a sudden tells me what he/she thinks of a movie, my first inclination would be to wonder where the opinion came from. If somebody has watched movies for say 30 years or 30 months or 30 days, wouldn't it be easier to compare and contrast movies of ALL kinds if they had a record of what they thought of a movie and spent serious time considering which ones may be overrated and which ones may be underrated for them? That's what the ratings are basically for. The rater needs to know which films he/she reacted to over-and-under-emotionally. At least, that's my lyin', objective-as-possible opinion. The flaw with my objective opinion is that I was "taught" it by somebody, and basically everybody is taught "their opinion" by somebody different. That doesn't mean that ratings don't serve a beneficial purpose to different people, as long as you take them seriously. If ratings are inherently silly, maybe we should just close down MoFo, but I don't think that will happen anytime soon. There are far too many people here who disagree with me.

Not to be off topic here, but I don't think you're really telling the truth.

Everybody compares things of a similar nature to each other. It's human nature. People do this because it's not as simple as "either you like it or you don't." There are different levels of "I like it" and even different levels of "I didn't like it." Rating systems like points or stars (or buckets of popcorn) are simply used as an easy way to communicate what level of like or dislike you're at for a particular movie. Just because you don't use this type of system doesn't mean you don't try to compare movies. Unless, of course, I'm missing something.

I mean, how does one compile and rank a list of 100 favorite movies (as you did) without comparing them against each other?
I basically chose the movies in the way I liked them. Nothing more or nothing less. It is simple a list of movies I like. It was very hard for me to put them in any sort of order after the first 5 or 10 of them because they are simply all good movies that I would like to watch over and over again. I basically put the star ratings on them because everyone else seems to use it. Also as you can see in my ratings they are all exactly the same other than the top 10.

Yes, you've pointed out the obvious.

But my point is that even though I personally enjoyed "Event Horizon", I feel "Alien" is a better film. Compatible or not, it could be "The hangover" vs "Alien", completely non comparable films, but if the hangover was rated higher, id be inclined to think there was something wrong with that, even at a subconscious level (Superficial analyses that cant be helped), Alien is just a better picture.

The star system isn't silly, its just a method of breaking down statistical reviews into a more digestible variable's. If IMDB featured 100,000,000 films half of which were "Good", half of which were "Bad", why bother atoll.
To use your example of Aliens versus The Hangover and they are not compatible at all. I agree with that. But because let's say 60% of people rate Alien 4 out of 5 stars and only 40% rate The Hangover the same it doesn't really mean a thing. The people who still liked The Hangover will think that it is a better film than Aliens.

Also let's take for example a movie that I enjoy Twilight and the majority of the people here hate it. If we went by the popcorn ratings would that rating actually represent the way I feel about that movie. No

I basically chose the movies in the way I liked them. Nothing more or nothing less. It is simple a list of movies I like. It was very hard for me to put them in any sort of order after the first 5 or 10 of them because they are simply all good movies that I would like to watch over and over again.
I get that it's a list of movies that you like. That's beyond obvious. But in your previous statement, you said that when it comes down to it, "either you like it or you don't." I'm saying yes that's true, but there are different levels of like and dislike and I think that's true for everybody. Unless you're going to tell me that you simply "like" Juno in the same way that you "like"... oh... any other movie you've ever had a favorable impression of. Clearly, you don't.

Also let's take for example a movie that I enjoy Twilight and the majority of the people here hate it. If we went by the popcorn ratings would that rating actually represent the way I feel about that movie. No
This statement confuses me.

Rating systems aren't meant to represent what you feel about a movie, unless you're the one who rated it in the first place. They simply represent at a very basic level what the reviewer feels about it or, if it's a rating like the one on IMDb.com, is an average of what the contributing reviewers felt about it.

Oh and to get on subject, I thought Inception was very well done. I'd give it a rating of
+ based on my first impression of it.

I get that it's a list of movies that you like. That's beyond obvious. But in your previous statement, you said that when it comes down to it, "either you like it or you don't." I'm saying yes that's true, but there are different levels of like and dislike and I think that's true for everybody. Unless you're going to tell me that you simply "like" Juno in the same way that you "like"... oh... any other movie you've ever had a favorable impression of. Clearly, you don't.

This statement confuses me.

Rating systems aren't meant to represent what you feel about a movie, unless you're the one who rated it in the first place. They simply represent what the reviewer feels about it or, if it's a rating like the one on IMDb.com, is an average of what the contributing reviewers felt about it.

Oh and to get on subject, I thought Inception was very well done. I'd give it a rating of
+ based on my first impression of it.
Clearly I enjoy Juno as I listed it as my #1 movie. The only reason that it is there is I find it more enjoyable to watch on most days, but there are certainly days that I would much rather watch the movie Thirteen which is lower on my list. It is just determined by the mood I am in. I also enjoy Ellen Page because I think she is awesome and that is a contributor to why Juno would be listed as #1.

I understand what you are saying about the rating being an average. It also comes down to the sample of reviewers that are rating the film. If you would go to a primarily teen related site the Eclipse rating would be much higher than another places rating.

Clearly I enjoy Juno as I listed it as my #1 movie. The only reason that it is there is I find it more enjoyable to watch on most days, but there are certainly days that I would much rather watch the movie Thirteen which is lower on my list. It is just determined by the mood I am in. I also enjoy Ellen Page because I think she is awesome and that is a contributor to why Juno would be listed as #1.
Obviously. If all anybody ever did was watch their favorite movie over and over to the exclusion of other movies, there'd be nothing to discuss and no reason for this forum to exist.

Quills is my number one favorite movie. It also stars my favorite actor and my favorite actress. I find the movie funny, heartbreaking, and sexy, but I honestly couldn't tell you the date I last watched it. It's been at least a few months. Why? Because sometimes I'm just not in the mood for it. Because sometimes I'd rather watch something I haven't seen before or maybe I've got the urge to revisit another movie - one that I wouldn't rank as high as I do Quills. But Quills is still my favorite because it appeals to me in more ways than any other movie I've seen just as I suspect Juno appeals to you in more ways than any other movie you've seen, which is why you rank it as your favorite.

I understand what you are saying about the rating being an average. It also comes down to the sample of reviewers that are rating the film. If you would go to a primarily teen related site the Eclipse rating would be much higher than another places rating.
Which is exactly why I called it "an average of what the contributing reviewers thought of it."

P.S.

Saying you like Ellen Page "because [you] think she is awesome" doesn't explain anything.