Movies like Garden State, Adventureland

Tools    

can anyone reccomend some films that are in the alley of those 2? they are just really enjoyable flicks

• Kicking and Screaming
    1995, Noah Baumbach
  • Say Anything...
    1989, Cameron Crowe
  • Harold & Maude
    1971, Hal Ashby
  • The Graduate
    1967, Mike Nichols
  • I Huckabees
    2004, David O. Russell
  • Breaking Away
    1979, Peter Yates

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

And I'd add Whit Stillman's work, which I like very much (though Disco is certainly the least of the three)...

• Metropolitan
    1990, Whit Stillman
  • Barcelona
    1994, Whit Stillman
  • The Last Days of Disco
    1998, Whit Stillman

And some others to add to the mix...

• Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist
    2008, Peter Sollett
  • High Fidelity
    2000, Stephen Frears
  • The Sure Thing
    1985, Rob Reiner
  • Benny & Joon
    1993, Jeremiah Chechik
  • Arizona Dream
    1993, Emir Kusturica
  • Junebug
    2005, Phil Morrison

I don't know if Nick & Nora..., Say Anything and Benny & Joon are like the films you mention (as they're suggestions from HP, I assume they are) but they're well worth seeing anyway. Wonderful films.

I re-watched another good precursor to the Adventureland brand of summer job coming-of-age flick...

The Flamingo Kid
1984, Garry Marshall

Stars Matt Dillon with Richard Crenna, Hector Elizondo and a super-sexy Janet Jones, before she became Mrs. The Great One Gretzky. The supporting cast includes Jessica Walter, Fisher Stevens, Bronson Pinchot and John Turturro. A twenty-year-old pre-fame Marisa Tomei has a small background part. Definitely worth a look, I watch it every summer.

And as for a recent good'un in the existential mopey Garden State variety, check out...

Greenberg
2010, Noah Baumbach

It comes to R1 DVD a week from Tuesday if you missed it in the theaters. Apparently only me and about a thousand other stalwarts paid money for the privilege a few months ago, but it's very much worth seeing. Especially if you dug Garden State.

Greenberg
2010, Noah Baumbach
You know, having been interested in this since I first saw the trailer, actually seeing the film in its entirety was a true disappointment. It was slow, and uninteresting, and it felt at times as though it were trying to mirror Garden State, which is a far superior film.

Focus Features usually put out good work, but this was forgettable.