The Top of the Bleeping Obstacle: MoFo Top 100 War Movies Prelims!

→ in
Tools    

Here's an underrated recommendation that doesn't get mentioned often; 1969 (1988). The cast includes Robert Downey Jr, Kiefer Sutherland, Bruce Dern and Winona Ryder. Also, The Miracle of Morgan's Creek (1944) is an entertaining war comedy that I would recommend. And The Littlest Rebel (1935) is an enjoyable Shirley Temple family war film that is worth checking out.

Here's an underrated recommendation that doesn't get mentioned often; 1969 (1988). The cast includes Robert Downey Jr, Kiefer Sutherland, Bruce Dern and Winona Ryder.

That's one good cast.

I've seen 210 war films, according to my imbd ratings. 166 of them I rated a 7 or higher. Eleven of them I have rated a 10/10. Ten of them I rated a 5/10 and three of them I rated a 4/10.

Question: do different cuts of the same movie get counted together, I hope? I noticed for example that Samuel Fuller's The Big Red One is listed as both the 1980 original release and the 2005 The Big Red One: The Reconstruction. I think if you get votes for both (not on the same ballot, obviously) they should be added together. Not sure why the database the ballot draws from makes that distinction between versions for The Big Red One but not for Apocalypse Now and Apocalypse Now: Redux or between Blade Runner, Blade Runner: The Director's Cut, and Blade Runner: The Final Cut?

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Question: do different cuts of the same movie get counted together, I hope? I noticed for example that Samuel Fuller's The Big Red One is listed as both the 1980 original release and the 2005 The Big Red One: The Reconstruction. I think if you get votes for both (not on the same ballot, obviously) they should be added together. Not sure why the database the ballot draws from makes that distinction between versions for The Big Red One but not for Apocalypse Now and Apocalypse Now: Redux or between Blade Runner, Blade Runner: The Director's Cut, and Blade Runner: The Final Cut?

You can vote based one any one cut you want, and they all get counted for the same entry.

If they're separate in the system they'll be tabulated separately. The code treats every distinct entry as a distinct film.

I could make a point to combine them before the countdown starts but I would need to know ahead of time and we'd need to know which would be the "real" one.

If they're separate in the system they'll be tabulated separately. The code treats every distinct entry as a distinct film.

I could make a point to combine them before the countdown starts but I would need to know ahead of time and we'd need to know which would be the "real" one.
I think "the real one" would be subjective based on which user thinks which editing n best represents the director's attempted direction or some other criteria. It might be best just to combine them.

By "real" I just meant the one that's going to represent both in the list. I put it in quotes to try to indicate that obviously there's not necessarily a "real" one.

As for combining: as the host, that's up to you. The system has no way of knowing what to combine (to the code they're all just unique ID numbers), so if you want to combine them I'll just need a short of list of what's being combined and in what direction after the voting's over, at which point I'll have to combine them manually in the database.

By "real" I just meant the one that's going to represent both in the list. I put it in quotes to try to indicate that obviously there's not necessarily a "real" one.

As for combining: as the host, that's up to you. The system has no way of knowing what to combine (to the code they're all just unique ID numbers), so if you want to combine them I'll just need a short of list of what's being combined and in what direction after the voting's over, at which point I'll have to combine them manually in the database.

If the database has two different versions, like The Big Red One does, then with the rule that people are not allowed to vote for two versions of the same film, then half the job of combining the two or more editions is already done. All that's left is a little Ctrl + F, combine the points of the editions and presto bingo, problem solved.

RECOMMENDATION: The Thin Red Line is on Ok.ru. I've got an hour left to go, and I'm seriously considering watching it again tomorrow. I feel like I missed some things about it; that's usually the feeling I get when people say a specific movie needs to be seen more than once to fully grasp. It might be a bit slow for me right now, but I'll likely improve my rating tomorrow if I catch some new details.

RECOMMENDATION: The Thin Red Line is on Ok.ru. I've got an hour left to go, and I'm seriously considering watching it again tomorrow. I feel like I missed some things about it; that's usually the feeling I get when people say a specific movie needs to be seen more than once to fully grasp. It might be a bit slow for me right now, but I'll likely improve my rating tomorrow if I catch some new details.
Love The Thin Red Line. I have the Criterion blu ray. It's a masterpiece and one of the greatest films of all time.

Love The Thin Red Line. I have the Criterion blu ray. It's a masterpiece and one of the greatest films of all time.

I have one question. Does the character development improve on the second viewing?

I have one question. Does the character development improve on the second viewing?
For me, it stays the same, but I loved the film from the first viewing.

If the database has two different versions, like The Big Red One does, then with the rule that people are not allowed to vote for two versions of the same film, then half the job of combining the two or more editions is already done. All that's left is a little Ctrl + F, combine the points of the editions and presto bingo, problem solved.
Unfortunately databases don't work exactly like text files (that's also why they're better, of course! ), and the system has more moving parts than the old spreadsheet did, which for all its faults was easier to make these sorts of ad hoc changes to.

But yes, as mentioned, I can make the changes. Just assuming/hoping it's only a handful of them so it doesn't add to the rest of the setup work too much.