M. Night Shyamalan

Tools    

As you all know, I'm thoroughly impressed with this man...and apparently some major players in Hollywood are as well, judging by the news today. This one's a must-read...I'm both shocked and oddly pleased...

Talk about dedication to his vision!

Enemies are so stimulating.
you know what...im so glad that he didnt do those movies.

i really love his work so far and i think those would have been totally the wrong direction.

but im no expert so maybe im completely wrong.

Don't sell yourself short; there aren't any real "experts," officially, on such matters.

I think I'm glad he turned them down...sorta. Technically he could've done Signs (and any other films he's kickin' around) later on. I don't know if his style is particularly well-suited to a film like Indiana Jones 4 or not, but I think, given his work on Stuart Little, he'd probably have done great things with the Harry Potter flicks. He may get a chance, yet, though, as there may be seven films, and I don't think Alfonso Cuarón will be helming all of them from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban on up.

How much did he work on Stuart Little? I haven't seen it yet, but I thoroughly enjoyed its sequel, which was written by one of my favorite screenwriters, Bruce Joel Rubin.

Oh Lord.

If there is a God of Things As They Should Be, s/he will please, please, PLEASE keep this particular creative filmmaker's resume from being tainted by the the mass-culture schlop that is Harry Freakin' Potter.

No offense Commish. Different strokes.

I find that the emotional aspects to his feels are way too forced. They feel forced, pushed, they feel deliberate. Now, all directors deliberately make something feel a certain way, maniuplating an audience and what not, but with Shyamalan, for me at least, it doesn't seem honest, it feels contrived and deliberate. Great directors are able to make you feel something for characters very subtley, so you just feel a certain way. With Shyamalan I constantly feel him pushing emotion down my throat...

That is all.

The backlash against Night has gotten pretty out of control. After The Sixth Sense, he was doused with about as much praise (both critically and popularly) as is possible for a director, and since then it seems that people just can't wait to be the first to shout "HIS WORST ONE YET HE'S GONE CRAZY TOO MUCH TWIST GONE TO HIS HEAD HE PRETENTIOUS." The Sixth Sense was by far his most accessible movie and they get progressively personal stylistically. Some directors have success (reception-wise) when they follow their own path, and M. is certainly not one of them. While I, a big supporter of his, can't defend much about The Happening, I do think people need to calm down and look for the good in his movies, of which there is much! There's no one else like him, and he doesn't let the massive negative feedback sway him from pursuing his own vision (in a progressively sharper manner) with each film! This is a rare quality in directors, who often seem to become more and more mainstream as their careers move along. This should be supported! Not denounced as obnoxious arrogance! In the end, whatever you think of the quality of his work, we should all recognize how valuable it is when artists refuse to back down from the goals they have set for themselves, even in the face of the overwhelming hatred that has amassed before his feet over the years.

My personal favorite of his is Lady in the Water (AAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!! BLASPHEMY!!!!). He makes no attempt to force in a twist (which is the most commonly reiterated complaint about him), and instead gives us a brand new kind of fairy tale (which lord knows we need in this era of incessant fable reimagnings, remakes, reduxes, and reyucks), a wonderful musing on the power and importance of spontaneous/collective storytelling (akin to Tarsem's "The Fall"), and not to mention one of the most effecting scores I've heard in a movie! Kudos to James Newton Howard! Incidentally, I highly recommend seeking out some of what Howard has said in interviews about working with Shyamalan. It definitely validated my love and respect for the man's work. Well, that's all for now. I said one more, then bed.

I love this man's work maybe more than I should. I haven't been disappointed by him yet.