Pauly Shore: Huh?

Tools    

So, I recently took it upon myself to take in the Pauly Shore canon, because I am fascinated by this truly dark era of hollywood cinema. Seriously, what was going on? I can understand some little brat getting some crap tv series or something, or maybe even one or two movies before they were actually seen by audiences or editors, but how is it possible he was able to be in even as many movies as he was? Truly mind-boggling.

Something else really funny about his career, is that I've never seen such a concentration of committee-made movies...each one has credits like "Story by blank, blank, and blank, Screenplay by blank & blank and blank & blank and blank, directed by blank and blank" and each of those blanks is a different person from the other blanks!

Who is this guy? Why did he do this? Who allowed this to happen? Why did I subject myself to all of these movies (which, incidentally I would rank as follows:
1. Bio-Dome
2.Encino Man
3. Jury Duty
4. Son-in-Law
5. In The Army Now)

Maybe we should be grateful to Pauly Shore, because a few of Rose McGowan's earlier roles are indeed in Pauly Shore films (namely, Encino Man and Bio-Dome). Also, something pretty incredible about them is how unintentionally disturbing and nihilistic these movies are. Most are about a total unlovable slacker who lies, cheats, and gets exactly what we wants and exactly what we deserves. The careless environmental destruction in Bio-Dome is pretty horrifying, and In The Army Now just may be one of the most sickenly militaristic, flag-waving, pro-violence movies I've ever seen.

Even "Pauly Shore is Dead," something I was actually pretty interested in, considering how relieving it was that he knew he was a walking, acting, breathing JOKE, was an immense disappointment, due to the fact that HE SUCKS!! Even when making fun of himself, it's not funny, because he can't make fun out of anything, because he's so so so so not funny!

Tragically, a few other Pauly Shore collaborators who actually have some chops are Joey Lauren Adams, Stephen Baldwin, Sean Astin, Kylie Minogue, Andy Dick, and Stanley Tucci. May it never happen again.

So, anyone care to discuss (that is, if anyone has cared to read this far) the eternal enigma that is Pauly Shore's career, his mannerisms, the self-proclaimed "weaselness," or the fact that Brenden Frasier apparently felt (or was, contractually) indebted to him, enough so that he made cameo appearances as the caveman (Link) in a few of Pauly Shore's later efforts....

Also I heard that he's really annoying in real life....who woulda thunkit?

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
So, I recently took it upon myself to take in the Pauly Shore canon, because I am truly fascinated by this truly dark era of hollywood cinema.
We make our own hell, chemosabi.

Who is this guy? Why did he do this? Who allowed this to happen? Why did I subject myself to all of these movies (which, incidentally I would rank as follows:
1. Bio-Dome
2.Encino Man
3. Jury Duty
4. Son-in-Law
5. In The Army Now)
Ok, why did you watch that many Pauly Shore films? Seriously. I gave up on French new wave cinema after fewer films than that, and it's an entire genre. You need to ask yourself: whyfore the punishment? And then forgive. Forgive.

I cannot explain my actions. I do not understand my actions. All I know is my actions are my actions, and they couldn't have existed in any other way. I have no control over the actions of the past, only what I do with the knowledge gained from said actions, be that knowledge I'm happy to have, or knowledge I'd like to never have known was possible.

That being said, come on guys!! let's guilt it up about pauly!

Another fun fact: there is constant talk about sex and drugs in pauly shore films, but due to the lack of the r rating in all of them, there are always codewords given to various activities and substances that are carried throughout the canon. ie "sticky purple spooge" is marijuana, "nugs" is women, etc

you're welcome

Bio-dome is a guilty pleasure of mine....

stupid stoner comedy

As for his career...idk I think you can put him into one of the "Unsolved Mysteries of the Universe"

Female assassin extraordinaire.
ok man, look. you need to calm down on the pauly cuz yes, i admit, the films were not quality, and were juvenile, BUT ... BUT!!!

do you go back and watch 80s high school flicks? do you marvel that you enjoyed them at some point? do you look at the stupid teeny bopper movies they make now and roll your eyes at the obvious translation from the 80s, to the millenium, of dumbass movies that youngers are dead set on going to and are thrilled by at the time?

the 90s were no different. the 60s and 70s had modern cinema developing, pushing the edge. crap flicks and rage flicks and dark flicks and some quality in there but the crap always generates and new talent always come along and people start trying stuff and then BAM. they hit a formula. the formula joins the hollywood canon. then it gets remade for about 5-10 years in multiple variations until the target audience grows up and moves on.

case in point, pauly shore. he was post winona ryder rat pack, past that point of "we're so clever with our teen flicks" breakfast club. the attitude and the false ennui were fading.

the 90s were about fun, positivity, super baggy pants and MC Hammer (the reinvention of 80's Mr. T). the kids in the hall were running wild, in living color was out of it's mind, and people just wanted to be silly and earnest and everyone was willing to be naive and innocent and sweet and goofy and pauly shore fed that "oh my god he's a total dweeb but he's goofy and sometimes hits the funny mark and it's kinda cute and it feeds that strange spot in me that used to have carebears and watch GEM on saturday morning cartoons" ...

i distinctly remember watching "in the army now" and being charmed. it's like watching the class clown who's also super charming and flirty and highly sexed prank it up in class, only he got several movies out of it. people bought tix cuz the girls were willing to watch raucous man-behavior and the dudes going with them couldn't pass it up.

i remember liking son-in-law, too. admittedly i was a teenager, but there you go, it proves my argument. would we watch this crap now? no. but i get that fuzzy remembrance and don't hate on pauly cuz we let him do his thang, so i'm not going to fault him for being what he is or doing what he did best, even if, compared to today's industry, it's low par.

our standards are just higher, now that film's evolving, media's evolving. plus back then, like now, it's just too easy to make a formula super market pie that serves it's purpose but tastes kinda pathetic instead of making a freaking amazing home made pie from scratch.

that's random, but i just bought a beautiful supermarket pie that they crank out by the dozen and i'm bitter. it tastes like crap.

Originally Posted by thmilin
i just bought a beautiful supermarket pie that they crank out by the dozen and i'm bitter. it tastes like crap.
sorry about the pie, man. that sucks