Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Tools    

Do I have to watch all of Discovery to fully enjoy this? I watched the first season and I'm not that eager to continue.
No. God no. Spock appears for an episode or two in Discovery and a storyline is developed that follows over, but nothing worth having to endure multiple episodes of Woke Trek.

Sure it was a spin-off. And a very direct spin-off at that. Any time characters that originated in one series take up residence as the same characters in another series, then it's a spin-off.

When Joanie and Chachi got their own show, it was a spin-off from Happy Days (same with Laverne & Shirley). The Jeffersons & Maude were both spin-offs from All In the Family, and Good Times was a direct spin-off from Maude (making it a spin-off from All in the Family once removed).

Obrien, Keiko and Worf all took up residence on DS9 as regular characters, and there were lots of references to their Enterprise & its crew members - that made the show a direct spin-off from Next Gen.

If there was no transference of characters, then we might say it was just a concurrent series that took place in the same time frame of the standard ST continuity (which, I guess we could say about Voyager since it didn't carry on further adventures of characters from either Next Gen. or DS9).

Agree? Disagree?
You're right by that criteria of course. To me it doesn't feel like a spin off. By that I mean I never considered it as such. Buy yes it did have those characters from Next Gen. Well Keiko didn't go the distance but I liked how her and Miles bickered. Sorta like a Honeymooners in space, 'To the worm hole, Keiko!!!'

You're right by that criteria of course. To me it doesn't feel like a spin off. By that I mean I never considered it as such. Buy yes it did have those characters from Next Gen. Well Keiko didn't go the distance but I liked how her and Miles bickered. Sorta like a Honeymooners in space, 'To the worm hole, Keiko!!!'
The funny thing is, I think this had something to do with my not following DS9.

It's kind of along the lines of the whole multiverse thing - where the unique characters you were once invested in (because they were one-of-a-kind) now have infinite alternate versions (so why bother caring about the original version when, if anything happens to them it doesn't matter because you can just invest yourself in caring about any number of endless alternate versions).

It's not the same principle of course, but it encompasses the idea of "too much of a good thing". It's a principle of overwhelm: put on a bunch of Star Trek shows at the same time, and I'll pretty much stop caring about all of them.

DS9 came out while TNG was still running. Suddenly I didn't care about TNG as much anymore and had no excitement for DS9 the way I once did for TNG (because when it first appeared was the new, one-and-only, Trek series on the air).

Basically, whenever there's a spin-off WHILE the original source program is still running - I tend to stop caring about both.

A good example of this for me was Walking Dead. I liked the series, and when the spin-off came out I gave it a chance, but the whole idea behind the show (that it was unique) seemed to no longer matter, now it was a choice between 2 shows with the same scenario - which made them both seem weaker to me.
(Plus there's the idea of overload - now there's 2 shows and an accompanying talk show, maybe next season there'll be 3 and so on and so on - am I supposed to commit my life to watching potentially 4 or 5 different Walking Dead shows?)
Thus I dropped the spin-off and soon stopped following the original after the spin-off came out.

I think I followed Voyager because A.) it's run began AFTER TNG completed, and B.) it wasn't a direct spin-off.

Does this make sense to anyone else but me? (I know Corax might relate, wherever he is, because he had a thread that touched upon a lot of these issues.)

The funny thing is, I think this had something to do with my not following DS9.

It's kind of along the lines of the whole multiverse thing - where the unique characters you were once invested in (because they were one-of-a-kind) now have infinite alternate versions (so why bother caring about the original version when, if anything happens to them it doesn't matter because you can just invest yourself in caring about any number of endless alternate versions).

It's not the same principle of course, but it encompasses the idea of "too much of a good thing". It's a principle of overwhelm: put on a bunch of Star Trek shows at the same time, and I'll pretty much stop caring about all of them.

DS9 came out while TNG was still running. Suddenly I didn't care about TNG as much anymore and had no excitement for DS9 the way I once did for TNG (because when it first appeared was the new, one-and-only, Trek series on the air).

Basically, whenever there's a spin-off WHILE the original source program is still running - I tend to stop caring about both.

A good example of this for me was Walking Dead. I liked the series, and when the spin-off came out I gave it a chance, but the whole idea behind the show (that it was unique) seemed to no longer matter, now it was a choice between 2 shows with the same scenario - which made them both seem weaker to me.
(Plus there's the idea of overload - now there's 2 shows and an accompanying talk show, maybe next season there'll be 3 and so on and so on - am I supposed to commit my life to watching potentially 4 or 5 different Walking Dead shows?)
Thus I dropped the spin-off and soon stopped following the original after the spin-off came out.

I think I followed Voyager because A.) it's run began AFTER TNG completed, and B.) it wasn't a direct spin-off.

Does this make sense to anyone else but me? (I know Corax might relate, wherever he is, because he had a thread that touched upon a lot of these issues.)
My answer won't be up to Corax's more in depth type analysis, but I do get what you're saying. In fact you said something similar about not watching movies once you had them on DVD, for some reason that stuck with me. Overabundance makes a thing seem less special....not logical but it's often true. Didn't Spock something like that

My answer won't be up to Corax's more in depth type analysis, but I do get what you're saying. In fact you said something similar about not watching movies once you had them on DVD, for some reason that stuck with me. Overabundance makes a thing seem less special....not logical but it's often true. Didn't Spock something like that
Yes! With owning DVD's it's the concept of "now that I own it I can watch it any time - so why waste the present moment on something I've seen already when I can spend it on something I haven't seen."

The problem is the "present moment" is always the present moment - so under this way of thinking I hardly ever watch anything I have on DVD.

I think all of this comes back to Spock - something about having not always being as fulfilling as wanting (or some such).

P.S. From everything I've heard (and what little I've seen = first season of Discovery), I'm wishing they had skipped Discovery and went straight to Strange New Worlds.

Question for those who've seen SNW - do they have the bastardized, purple-skinned, giant-nosed, elongated-headed Klingons from Discovery?

Season 2 episode 3 was complete money, and changed my opinion on a character I wasn't fond of in the series. Good writing rocks

Ouch. Ok so the series isn't without some bad episodes. S02E07 was trying to tie-in to the new animated series that's out now, aggravating bad. The show quickly redeemed itself the next episode, and then episode 9.....a musical themed episode. I refuse to watch it. Let's hope episode 10 can erase the wrongness of that.

The good news is the show redeemed itself, the bad news is...I can't tell you the bad news as it'd be a spoiler, so I'll just describe it as "augh". Augh!

I completed season 1, just started season 2 and I'm really enjoying it so far, obviously. It's smart, fun, has interesting characters, etc., etc., and best of all, it's light on nostalgia bait and fan service. Sure, there are callbacks and I would expect there to be, but they're done in a way that doesn't pander.

If anything, I'd prefer more episodes that do not have violence or combat. While I've liked all the "action episodes" so far, that's not what Star Trek is all about. Oh, and La'an should appear in every single frame, but I digress.