Best Comic Book Movie?

Tools    

spiderman!! he rocks!!!! and the movie is awsome, and surpirisingly so is the second, and hopefully the third
Just a dog? Porthos dreams of being a bear, and you want to shatter those dreams by saying he's just a dog? What a horrible candle-snuffing word. That's like saying, "He can't climb that mountain, he's just a man", or "That's not a diamond, it's just a rock." Just.

I think Batman Begins did a good job at taking a serious approach to a comic book movie with out pretension or forcing a romantic subplot, which is my only serious complaint about Spiderman,

For popcorn comic book movies I would have to say HellBoy, it doesn’t receive nearly enough credit. I don’t know what Sony was thinking when they passed on the sequel.

In my opinion A History of Violence doesn’t belong in this discussion. Not because it doesn’t merit discussion but simply because it doesn’t belong. It was based on a single graphic novel not a long standing comic book series.

I am Jack's sense of overused quote
Originally Posted by jav1856
In my opinion A History of Violence doesn’t belong in this discussion. Not because it doesn’t merit discussion but simply because it doesn’t belong. It was based on a single graphic novel not a long standing comic book series.
So V for Vendetta shouldn't count? That was only one graphic novel. What about Sin City? That's more than one graphic novel, but still not based on a series.

I think you are confusing comic book with superhero. Which is very understandable.

I am not confusing comic book movie with superhero movies.

I believe that V for Vendetta was a series of ten books, based on characters that originally appeared in another comic book series called Warriors, the original ten issues were later condensed into a graphic novel. http://comics.org/series.lasso?SeriesID=3627

Yes Sin City is based on a series of graphic novels, 7 or 8 of them in fact. I think a series of graphic novels counts as a comic series. It’s safe to assume that the content in a single graphic novel is similar to the content of at least 5 traditional comic books. So 5 comic books per graphic novel, 7 or 8 graphic novels equals a series of at least 35-40 traditional comic books, a decent series run.

I think that the definition of a comic book movie is that the film is based on a series of comic books, weather or not they feature superheroes, or graphic novels, that give a decent amount of base material to work with, not just the simple fact that a movie was based on a single graphic novel.

A large portion of the challenges that come into play when making a comic book movie comes from deciding what to include from a wealth of base material. What origin story is going to be followed(if applicable), where to base a film in the series, what characters are going to be included, what villain is going to provide the foil, how are you going to portray the characters, are any new characters going to be added and then how are you going to make changes so that the film would appeal to a broad audience without alienating the comics core fan base.

So how does this pertain to A History of Violence? In my opinion a one off graphic novel featuring previously unseen characters could be classified as a modern day novella with illustrations. Well based on my limited knowledge of comic books it seems like A History of Violence was based on a one off graphic novel, who’s characters had never appeared in any other comic series, but I could be wrong. But if that is the case the producers and director of A History of Violence didn’t face the same challenges as the makers of X-Men, Spiderman, Batman, etc, instead they faced challenges similar to those of anyone else making a movie based on a stand alone short story or novella.

That’s why I think A History of Violence doesn’t fit in the comic book movie discussion, but that’s just my opinion. I am not trying to bash anyone who doesn’t agree I am just pointing out my personal opinion. While I may not agree with those who think A History of Violence is a comic book movie, I respect their right to have their opinion.

Batman Begins has been a big up for every movie based on a comicbook. Ok the other batmans were nice, but more 'ive watched it twice or so and now its nice'. Batman Begins was amazing

I also like Immortel (ad vitam), its more scifi-like.. cant even explain in english what i like about it. It's genious.

And do check my "art": Deviant

Spider-Man 2
I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up DOES rejoice, but still, the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone. I guess i just miss my friend- (THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION)

Probably X-MEN they are all cool with their superpowers and stuff Spiderman is good for its movements I like the way he swings and Superman haven't watched it yet but I think he's a pussy Batman seems(Burton's and Nolan's)

I am Jack's sense of overused quote
Originally Posted by jav1856
I think that the definition of a comic book movie is that the film is based on a series of comic books, weather or not they feature superheroes, or graphic novels, that give a decent amount of base material to work with, not just the simple fact that a movie was based on a single graphic novel.

A large portion of the challenges that come into play when making a comic book movie comes from deciding what to include from a wealth of base material. What origin story is going to be followed(if applicable), where to base a film in the series, what characters are going to be included, what villain is going to provide the foil, how are you going to portray the characters, are any new characters going to be added and then how are you going to make changes so that the film would appeal to a broad audience without alienating the comics core fan base.

So how does this pertain to A History of Violence? In my opinion a one off graphic novel featuring previously unseen characters could be classified as a modern day novella with illustrations. Well based on my limited knowledge of comic books it seems like A History of Violence was based on a one off graphic novel, who’s characters had never appeared in any other comic series, but I could be wrong. But if that is the case the producers and director of A History of Violence didn’t face the same challenges as the makers of X-Men, Spiderman, Batman, etc, instead they faced challenges similar to those of anyone else making a movie based on a stand alone short story or novella.

V for Vendetta may have been 10 books originally, but that is such a limited run it could be said to be one graphic novel. After all, it was condensed to one. With such a limited story, I believe McTeigue "faced challenges similar to those of anyone else making a movie based on a stand alone short story or novella." However, Vendetta is definetly a comic movie. Then why not A History of Violence? For the record, I am not entirely convinced it is a comic movie. I just disagree with your justification.

Spider Man

Spider Man 2

Rock-n-Roll hoochie koo
Favorite Comic Book Movie...?
Not too many ppl knew this, but Resident Evil was a comic book. So Resident Evil is my favorite comic Book movie.
Resident Evil=#1 yay!! lol!

V for Vendetta The Batman by Tim burton NO DOUBT!!

spiderman

x-men. thats all i have to say

I'd say Sin City is the most FAITHFUL adaptation of a series of comic books. The revolutionary thing about Frank Miller being his use of contrast, and black and white and negative space. The movie transferred the style perfectly really.

I also liked Dick Tracy with Warren Beatty a lot too.

Hmm fav would be mortal kombat, that counts rite?

Is That Your Best?
The Original Spiderman

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n157/MSakuro/me2.jpg

spiderman
1st Blade