Is comedy considered a "lower" form of entertainment?

Tools    

Not including Williams' stand up career (which was brilliant), both him and Sandler actually are considerably better as dramatic actors. Most of the comedy films they were involved in have rightfully been considered crap.

Not a popular opinion, but Carrey is different in that I think he has mostly been a better comedic actor. Most of those comedies he's in also aren't very good, but he's good in them. At least the early ones. I personally have mostly found his dramatic work to be at best adequate. I don't know if I've ever actually been knocked out by any of his acting in those movies. He still mugs. It's just a quieter, less effective, kind of mugging
That's fair, and I think I overall agree with most of this, but I was trying to go beyond specific actors in that most people tend to just dismiss the comedic performances in favor of the more serious/dramatic.

The truth is in here
Not including Williams' stand up career (which was brilliant), both him and Sandler actually are considerably better as dramatic actors. Most of the comedy films they were involved in have rightfully been considered crap.
I think Robin's comedic career is better than you give it credit for. Mrs. Doubtfire, Good Morning Vietnam (Even though it's a drama at the same time), The Birdcage, Aladdin, Jumanji and the TV series Mork & Mindy are widely embraced as classics, and you also have little gems like World's Greatest Dad, Death To Smoochy and Man Of The Year to name a few. Not to say it's been perfect, but I can think of actors I love yet have barely been in anything worthwhile for ages. I'd say Will Ferrell is in a much worse spot, as even when he's good the film he's in is often mediocre, which has been the case for over a decade.

I think Robin's comedic career is better than you give it credit for. Mrs. Doubtfire, Good Morning Vietnam (Even though it's a drama at the same time), The Birdcage, Aladdin, Jumanji and the TV series Mork & Mindy are widely embraced as classics, and you also have little gems like World's Greatest Dad, Death To Smoochy and Man Of The Year to name a few. Not to say it's been perfect, but I can think of actors I love yet have barely been in anything worthwhile for ages. I'd say Will Ferrell is in a much worse spot, as even when he's good the film he's in is often mediocre, which has been the case for over a decade.

While I've never seen Death to Smoochy, and I'll give you Vietnam, I dislike all of those other ones.

Sure, they are classics to some, but the reason they aren't as highly regarded as some of his more serious work,.is because as film they don't offer much