What is the most original movie you have seen in the last year?

Tools    

Seraph of the Void
Well..don't look at me like I am a frickin idiot...

What is the most original movie you have seen in the last year?
"When I said my quarters were cold, I did not mean "Oh, I think it is a little chilly in here. Perhaps I'll throw a blanket on the bed." No! I said it was cold! As in, "Oh look - my left arm has snapped off like an icicle and shattered on the floor!"

In the last year? Memento, Amelie and Waking Life would all be neck and neck (and neck), I suppose.

Why? What's the most original movie that YOU have seen in the last year?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Seraph of the Void
hmmmm...

difficult to say

I would say it is a toss up between memento & Requiem for a dream.

But I am tired & may think of something later.

as for original...not many films are original anymore.

I do remember a unique but not original webshort named 'more' by mark osborne

it was kind of neat. and sad.

The Future Ed Wood
i thought that Battle Royale and Brazil were very original.

Visit the best film forum on the web http://www.empireonline.co.uk/

Definitely Memento. I thought Amelie was nice -- but original? I didn't find it that original. It felt like a very typical kind of movie, with a twist. When I think of original, I think of something far more removed from normalcy.

See. I'd reverse that. Memento was a gimmicky little noir. And please don't maim me. I don't deserve rape.

Meanwhile...
Love it or hate it, despite the songs, which weren't original; Moulin Rouge was definitely original, for better or worse [better in my opinion, of course].

Fighting out of the Lions Den
"Memento" is the only original film I`ve seen this year.

Oh, oh, oh:

Atanarjuat (The Fast Runner)

One may suggest that it was just Run Lola Run on ice. But that'd be just plain nutty.

Originally posted by Yoda

Hmm, didn't you see Frailty?
First I`ve heard of it...What`s it all about then?

Can`t believe I`ve seen or heard nothing about that at all over here...Bill Paxton is a BIG fave of mine too.

Hmmmmmmm ....I`m wondering now if this goes under an alias here.
I`ll have to do some Scullying, coz I really fancy it now.

Seraph of the Void
In response to replies I have read.

1st off- Thank you very much for responding to my query.

hmmm. Run Lola Run was a unique movie wasn't it. (and entertaining to boot)

And Moulin Rogue was entertaining and fun (and sad at times)

It was far from original...unique perhaps but not original (there is a subtle difference)

I did like it, as I liked Baz Lurhmann's other red curtain movies
Romeo and juliet & Strictly ballroom.

There are only so many types of stuctures / Story, anti-story, narrative, account, chronicle, fable ,epic, etc.

and only so many types of stories/ man-woman loves,hate,kills,stalks,rejects,eats a salad with, etc.

So original ideas are very hard to come by...

One must resort to schtick, style, or odd and seemingly random combinations of predefined structures. (maybe perspective is the word I was searching for...maybe not) (I just woke up ok )

I still do believe that an original idea can be done, but it is very difficult to find or is unacceptable for mass consumption.

more later....food, brush teeth, get dressed, shower....er not in that order though.

I have to agree with everyone except SB, Memento was highly original. Other than that? Hmm... Let's see... I watch Blair Witch every couple of months, that was original. Hmm... Minority Report was also very original, I know it was a film noir at its basic element, but the delivery was unique. I agree with Yoda that Frailty is an excellent film, Bill Paxtons best as far as I'm concerned. Donnie Darko, Vanilla Sky, and The Royal Tenenbaums would be the rest of my choices I guess, with Memento easily leading the pack.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I'll stand by what I've said. If you [AzhrarnX] want to nitpick and say that something like Moulin Rouge is unique but not original [there isn't really a subtle difference], then I think I'll keep on saying that Memento had some unique ways of telling a fairly standard noir-ish story.

I would have to say Mullholland Drive was the most recent of original movies viewed by Mwa!

Originally posted by Ladies Man
I would have to say Mullholland Drive was the most recent of original movies viewed by Mwa!
DOH!!! I can't believe I forgot that one! Now it's one of my top ten favorites of all time, and I f..f..f.f..oorgooootttt