2011 Independent Spirit Award Nominations

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Here is a link to all the nominations for the Independent Spirit Awards.

The five films nominated Best Feature are:

127 Hours
Black Swan
Greenberg
The Kids Are All Right
Winter's Bone

So far, I've seen the final three on that list, and I give The Kids Are All Right and Winter's Bone both
and Greenberg

I know Holden usually makes up some nice threads full of details, but I only have a few minutes and wanted to post this now.

Nah this is more than fine, Marky. Very much looking forward to Black Swan and I suppose Winter's Bone deserves a look, even though the trailer didn't exactly get my juices flowing. Is it a thriiler or what?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Yes, Winter's Bone is a very unique thriller with almost no budget and a no-star cast, but it does have the most nominations and that makes sense to me because it's one of the more intense films I've seen recently. It did get a Cinematography nom and it deserved it big-time.

As it's getting towards award season I'll probably be tempted to see some of these, but tbh, none of them look particularly interesting to me. I've had the opportunity to see a couple of these, but didn't bother.

Just saw Greenberg the other day and I would agree with the 2.5 rating. I'd describe it as moments of brilliance with very little in between. Going to the video store right now and I might pick up some of the others.

I just watched Winter's Bone. I don't understand all of the praise. The cinematography was nice, and John Hawkes was solid, but I really feel like I just witnessed Jennifer Lawrence walk from barn to barn the whole time with the occasional redneck argument or skirmish. There wasn't anything intense about it. Maybe the good ole boy redneck mafia just doesn't do it for me.