Connor Macgregor Reviews Thread

→ in
Tools    

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Zombieland

When you mix Zombie & Comedy , it rarely ever works. That is until Shaun Of The Dead came along in 2004 and blew everyones minds and made a fresh original approach to the zombie genre. That being said , in 2009 America decided to do its own little film called Zombieland. Here is my review.

Searching for family. In the early twenty-first century, zombies have taken over America. A shy and inexperienced college student in Texas has survived by following his 30 rules: such as "look in the back seat," "shoot twice," "avoid public restrooms." He decides to travel to Ohio to see if his parents are alive. He gets a ride with a boisterous zombie-hating good-old boy headed for Florida, and soon they confront a young woman whose sister has been bitten by a zombie and wants to be put out of her misery. The sisters were headed to an LA amusement park they've heard is zombie free. Can the kid from Ohio get to his family? And what about rule thirty one?

Zombieland is a smart and original take on the zombie genre just like Shaun Of The Dead. Jesse Eisenberg is the lead and does a good job in keeping the humour up and he does work comedically. A lot of people compare him to Michael Cera and i can see why people would as they are both similar. Woody Harrelson is great and his character is really funny , especially with his obsession with some food i have forgotton the name of. And Finally there are the two uprising stars that are Emma Stone & Abigail Breslin who really shine in the film especially Stone. Emma Stone was on the verge of stardom and now its 2010 and she is pretty much in there.

Overall , Zombieland works just as well as Shaun Of The Dead. Its quirky , funny , good characters , good story and flows really well together. Its a good watch.

Rating - 81% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Runaway Bride

Garry Marshall directed Pretty Woman and Valentines Day , two funny romantic comedies , but in 1999 he directed Runaway Bride which reunited Julia Roberts & Richard Gere since Pretty Woman. Here is my review.

Ike Graham, New York columnist, writes his text always at the last minute. This time, a drunken man in his favourite bar tells Ike about Maggie Carpenter, a woman who always flees from her grooms in the last possible moment. Ike, who does not have the best opinion about females anyway, writes an offensive column without researching the subject thoroughly. The next day, Ike gets fired by his publisher (and former wife), because he went too far and faked the facts, which real journalists don't do. Ike's only way back into the business now is to do a fact-based report on Maggie and her upcoming fourth wedding attempt, which Ike predicts to fail again. So, as he circles her like a vulture his prey-to-be, Maggie's opinion of Ike sinks below zero. Not only is Ike waiting for her to fail again but the whole town is poking fun at Maggie about her mistakes. But that is a point which Ike doesn't like.

I havent got much to say other than this. Its an enjoyable fun film no doubt about that. But its just not as memorable and exciting as Gary Marshall's other films. Julia Roberts & Richard Gere are just as expected. Their chemistry works well off each other and there are no faults. That being said , the supporting cast is dissapointing. I felt that there should have been a bit more of a star supporting cast. No one major but at least people i can recognise. The only two i know are Joan Cusack and Christopher Meloni. Other than that , i know no one.

The story & direction are as they are. No extraordinary shots , but does keep the film from being dull and boring. Overall , Runaway Bride is enjoyable but not Marshall's best.

Overall - 71% - B+

You lost me at Richard Gere and Julia Roberts. Not a fan of chick flicks.

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory

Its one of the most beloved films in the world and takes our imagination beyond any film out there. Its gifted with wonderful moments , characters and acting. This is Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory.

The world is astounded when Willy Wonka, for years a recluse in his factory, announces that five lucky people will be given a tour of the factory, shown all the secrets of his amazing candy, and one will win a lifetime supply of Wonka chocolate. Nobody wants the prize more than young Charlie, but as his family is so poor that buying even one bar of chocolate is a treat, buying enough bars to find one of the five golden tickets is unlikely in the extreme. But in movieland, magic can happen. Charlie, along with four somewhat odious other children, get the chance of a lifetime and a tour of the factory. Along the way, mild disasters befall each of the odious children, but can Charlie beat the odds and grab the brass ring?

What can i say about this film ? Too much. Gene Wilder is magnificent and really believe that this man is wonderfully weird and yet you trust and somewhat love him when he is on screen. An amazing performance that really was oscar worthy. The supporting cast are also very memorable. There is Augustus , the fat one who doesnt stop eating , Violet who is more chewing gum than chocolate , Veruca who is snobby , british and above all brilliant (BTW not everyone in Britain as snobby rich git) , Mike who is obsessed with TV and last but not least Charlie , who is honest and kind and is the most deserving out of the others. Another favourites are the parents. All different but all funny. My favourite is tricky , but all of them are great in their own way. Of course Grampa Joe is brilliant and a memorable character. Of course i must mention The Oompa Lumpas , an amazing supporting characters who make the musical numbers amazing to watch.

Overall , Willy Wonka is a classic and one of the most memorable kids films since The Wizard Of Oz. Its A Must See.

Rating - 98% - A

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Pan's Labyrinth

It really is in all honesty a foreign modern masterpiece. Not many fantasy films are as this emotional , this entertaining and this mystical as this. Del Toro is a directorial genius and its this film that has put him on the map , if not already. This is Pan's Labyrinth.

In 1944 fascist Spain, a girl, fascinated with fairy-tales, is sent along with her pregnant mother to live with her new stepfather, a ruthless captain of the Spanish army. During the night, she meets a fairy who takes her to an old faun in the center of the labyrinth. He tells her she's a princess, but must prove her royalty by surviving three gruesome tasks. If she fails, she will never prove herself to be the the true princess and will never see her real father, the king, again.

Personally this film is a definate masterpiece by any means. The Acting is great and really lures you in to the belief that the events that you are watching in the film are really unpleasant and grumesone. Ivanna Baquero is very charming as Ofelia and its her story and her character alone that make the film worth while.

I will also say the narrative pacing is brilliant and gives you time to breath whenever something scary or something thrilling occurs in the film. The Cinematography is beautiful and any frame of that film you could take out and frame it in an art museum or in your own home and sit there , look at it and magnify it and then proclaim its a piece of art. Watching it was a nice and peaceful experience unlike most films i have watched. And this being foreign made it more of a masterpiece because foreign films as a whole you could either like or dislike. Never the less its great relaxing.

What else can i say ? its a masterpiece , See it if you havent now because if your havent , your missing out and it is your own fault. Pan's Labyrinth is a foreign masterpiece.

Rating - 99% - A

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Beauty & The Beast

One of Disney's most acclaimed films and the only film to be nominated for an oscar under Disney since Up. Well it is still the only hand drawn film to be nominated and its a beautiful story. Beauty & The Beast.

Belle is a girl who is dissatisfied with life in a small provincial French town, constantly trying to fend off the misplaced "affections" of conceited Gaston. The Beast is a prince who was placed under a spell because he could not love. A wrong turn taken by Maurice, Belle's father, causes the two to meet.

The Film is very enjoyable. Some of the songs really work with the story being told. However a big miss in the music area was "The Gaston Song". Boy was i bored throughout that song and it didn't make the villian that evil. Never the less "Tale As Old As Time" & "Be Our Guest" are classic disney songs and will be as timeless as the film.

However , i do think the film is slightly overrated. At times it feels slow and boring at times , but the character of The Beast is intriguing and kind of a character that evolves throughout the story until the film reaches his end.

Overall , solid disney film but not one of its best , but seeing it in Blu Ray was quality and made the animation look beautiful.

Rating - 81% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Up

One of Pixar's Most Personal films. While i dont think its the best , it is certainly the most touching of them all.

A young Carl Fredrickson meets a young adventure spirited girl named Ellie. They both dream of going to a Lost Land in South America. 70 years later, Ellie has died. Carl remembers the promise he made to her. Then, when he inadvertently hits a construction worker, he is forced to go to a retirement home. But before they can take him, he and his house fly away. However he has a stowaway aboard. An 8 year old boy named Russell, whose trying to get an assisting the elderly badge. Together, they embark in an adventure, where they encounter talking dogs, an evil villain and a rare bird named Kevin.

Watching Up was a really special feeling. I get that with most of Pixar's films but Wall E , Up & Toy Story 3 are the type of films that let all your emotions out in characters that you fall in love with. Carl Fredrickson was a loving man who believed he had found his one true love and his one true calling. But when an unfortunate event , his dreams and love for life dissapeared and he became a bitter old man with nothing to live for. That is until he meets a little boy named Russell who at first is annoying but eventually , he finds it in his heart to love the boy and see a new lease of life. There is also Kevin , the mysterious bird like creature who follows Carl & Russell on their adventure. Then there is Dug The Dog who talks. He is a funny character with a charming but not so smart personality. The Villian is also interesting as Carl adored him as a young child and when he meets him for the first time , he realises that he is not the person he thought he was.

Up is a very personal film about life and adventure and that the most memorable adventures are the ones that we least remember. Carl Fredrickson is a very memorable character , in fact most of the characters are very memorable and again , that is what Pixar does so well. Memorable characters that will be with us forever. Up is a modern classic alongside Wall E , Toy Story Trilogy and many others. See this film if you havent already.

Rating - 95% - A

nice reviews mate, do u just post on this thread don't think ive seen u post on any other lol .

yes i only post here. I use to post these reviews on other sites , but its just this one now.
I thin Ludite ment do you join in other threads, it would be good to get to know you other than just read your reviews

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Herbie : Fully Loaded

Never saw a Herbie film and aint a big fan of Lindsay Lohan , but never the less i saw this film today and here are my thoughts.

Maggie Peyton is the new owner of Number 53--the free wheelin' Volkswagen bug with a mind of its own; she puts the car through its paces on the road to becoming a NASCAR competitor. As a third generation member of a NASCAR family, racing is in Maggie Peyton's blood, but she is forbidden from pursuing her dream by her overprotective father, Ray Peyton, Sr. When Ray Sr. offers Maggie a car as a college graduation present, he takes her to a junkyard to choose one from an assortment of very used cars. Maggie has her eye on an old Nissan, but a certain rusty, banged up '63 VW Bug seems to be clamoring for her attention. To her surprise, Maggie leaves the lot with Herbie. As she prepares to leave town for a position with ESPN News, Maggie discovers that Herbie has a mind of his own--and an alternate route for her future.

There isn't much to say about this film. Other than that its just not fantastic or that all good. its just an average tv film. Herbie is potrayed as a goofy personality and Lindsay Lohan doesn't show like she cares that all much until the end. This was before Lohan plummented to drink and drugs (Shame because i liked her) and for the whole film , she was the best thing. Michael Keaton's character is an ass and Justin LOng is just average. He is an average actor doing average work. I aint remotely interested in him as an actor. Matt Dillion made a cartoonish villian without any villianish characters.

Overall , nothing really missing and nothing worth seeing. Just an average film that just proves Herbie is a thing of the past.

Rating - 48% - C+

You sir, are a brave man to watch the film. But question, would it make a "good" - "bad movie"? My friends are always on the lookout for films we can rag on on Fridays. Would this fit the mold, (or any mold?), or is it just too average to even remotely be laughed at from that sense?
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

Connor Macgregor Reviews...A Cinderella Story

I've never really liked Cinderella , but modernising it would be quite a tricky or easy task depending what time period it would be in. Hillary Duff is also someone i dont have an angry spot for. So i thought why not take a look at this. The Story is fairly simple. Routinely exploited by her wicked stepmother, the downtrodden Sam Montgomery is excited about the prospect of meeting her Internet beau at the school's Halloween dance.

Now i like Hillary Duff , she didn't fall into the bad crowd like Lohan did , but its a shame that she has been out of the spotlight for so long because she actually isn't that bad of an actress. Never the less , this film is interesting but nothing that people have seen already in a teen romance. Chad Michael Murray is ok , but like all American Teen Actors , he fails to express any emotion on his face. The rest of the cast are fairly good. Jennifer Coolidge actually surprised as being quite evil to Hillary Duff's character. Same with the step sisters and the popular girl in school.

Overall , okish film with okish performances , decent directing and writing. Nothing extraordianry but see it if you like.

Rating - 61% - B