Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Ouch. I encourage anyone who is interested in Margaret, has it on their watchlist, etc. to see it some day anyway despite Marco's low rating and statement that it has nothing to say. I think it's one of the great movies of the last decade. It does a great job at capturing that transitional period between adolescence and adulthood, specifically how this time sadly forces us to put our dream of a better world aside in favor of self preservation and having to accept how much the odds are stacked against us. That may not seem like a premise that could sustain such a long runtime, but I was never bored.

If you need any more encouragement, I rarely agree with Marco's ratings, but I've let it slide. This time, I can't!
No probs Torgo, vive la difference!!!!

Ouch. I encourage anyone who is interested in Margaret, has it on their watchlist, etc. to see it some day anyway despite Marco's low rating and statement that it has nothing to say. I think it's one of the great movies of the last decade. It does a great job at capturing that transitional period between adolescence and adulthood, specifically how this time sadly forces us to put our dream of a better world aside in favor of self preservation and having to accept how much the odds are stacked against us. That may not seem like a premise that could sustain such a long runtime, but I was never bored.

If you need any more encouragement, I rarely agree with Marco's ratings, but I've let it slide. This time, I can't!
Yeah it's a great film. That scene in the opera theatre - I still think about that.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Seconded. It's the director's worst but still a great film.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I saw Poor Things yesterday. I love the story and Tartarian designs, wardrobes and architecture but hated all the unnecessary s*x and swearing. 2 out of 10. Normally 1 out of 10 but since the sets and general idea are dope I added one star.

Not sure how we are categorizing sex scenes as unnecessary when the film is at least in part about sexual liberation and bucking societies repressive norms.

If anything, I feel this post just means more movies need more of these 'unnecessary' sex scenes, as it seems sticking ones finger in societies puritanical eye is still necessary.

Terrific movie. Love it.

Arthur the King

If the Academy gave an Oscar for Best Canine Performance, then the lovable mutt playing the title character in this movie might as well start practicing his acceptance speech.
I am, if anything, generally pretty cynical about movies with animals playing the title character, but this one really won me over (I knew absolutely nothing about the real-life story on which the movie is based).
So, forget that what's-his-name is the putative human star of the movie. He's not even worth mentioning. Simu Liu and Nathalie Emmanuel, on the other hand, at least do a top-notch job with their somewhat underwritten supporting roles. They've got plenty of charisma, and I guess in their own way they're both easy on the eye.
The movie also deserves credit for some above-average location work, as it seems most of the movie was actually shot where it's supposed to be taking place (Dominican Republic).
Hot dog, I’ve never heard of this movie. (Does anyone else make as many movies as Wahlberg?) Put it in my watchlist now.

How do you feel about the main character? I know that unlikable characters aren't necessarily flaws in and if itself, but I kept going back and forth as to whether the film was asking for us to sympathize with her or look down upon her.

How do you feel about the main character? I know that unlikable characters aren't necessarily flaws in and if itself, but I kept going back and forth as to whether the film was asking for us to sympathize with her or look down upon her.
Didn’t find her unlikeable.

Cutter's Way and The Seven-Ups are awesome, I'll give you that!
Vindicated at last!!!!! Not seen the Seven-Ups for ages, theres a good mash up of the main car chase and Primal Screams "Shoot Speed Kill Light" on Youtube, it's great.

I couldn't get that either, probably gubbed the film for me. Even after being told what the outcome of the litigation would be beforehand she still throws her toys out the pram. The character didn't seem to be going through an adolescence-adulthood transition at all, just seemed like a cosseted childish brat - all my take of course.

I ultimately found her sympathetic. She's not totally honest and makes some decisions that could label her as a "Karen" these days, but I think that in her battle, her heart is in the right place and isn't just making it about herself. Regardless of her intentions, though, the sympathy is in her probably not caring as much about the other person than herself if something like that ever happened again.

I ultimately found her sympathetic. She's not totally honest and makes some decisions that could label her as a "Karen" these days, but I think that in her battle, her heart is in the right place and isn't just making it about herself. Regardless of her intentions, though, the sympathy is in her probably not caring as much about the other person than herself if something like that ever happened again.
For me, I found her infatuation to take down the bus driver really selfish. While he obviously should've been paying attention, she was clearly distracting him and was also in part responsible for the woman's death. When she said her whole "I've acknowledged my mistake but he hasn't" spiel, I just wanted to tell her to shut up. That line of reasoning doesn't rise above the law. If it had been a different person trying to pursue legal action, the film would've gotten me to care more. I did like the rest of the film well enough, but whenever the film circled back to the bus scenes, it rubbed me the wrong way.

aPoor Things (2023)

Well this was quite the journey/idea, being a fan of "Dogtooth" and "Killing..." not so much "Lobster" or "The Favourite" I was intrigued.

It's very stylistic from start to finish about the story of a girl who exhibits really childish traits (lack of vocab, tantrums) that is being aided by a revolutionary surgeon and his sidekick. As she learns we see her adopt sexuality (just a little bit) and empathy. There are a good many laughs in this, provided most by Mark Ruffalo's character whos accent is just hilarious.
All in all, quirky watch but won't rush to see again. Unlike Lanthimos' previous films so admire the departure and variation.

For me, I found her infatuation to take down the bus driver really selfish. While he obviously should've been paying attention, she was clearly distracting him and was also in part responsible for the woman's death. When she said her whole "I've acknowledged my mistake but he hasn't" spiel, I just wanted to tell her to shut up. That line of reasoning doesn't rise above the law. If it had been a different person trying to pursue legal action, the film would've gotten me to care more. I did like the rest of the film well enough, but whenever the film circled back to the bus scenes, it rubbed me the wrong way.
Her wanting the driver to get fired is selfish and I wouldn't have been sad if she had been punished for lying, but I still sympathized with Lisa, as strange as that sounds. I guess her youth and naievity probably has something to do with it. She's privileged for sure, but as if she's been kept in a gilded cage, she doesn't know any other way.

Probably an obvious statement, but this would pair well with 25th Hour and not just because Anna Paquin plays a similar character. It's also a very New York, post-9/11 story.

Her wanting the driver to get fired is selfish and I wouldn't have been sad if she had been punished for lying, but I still sympathized with Lisa, as strange as that sounds. I guess her youth and naievity probably has something to do with it. She's privileged for sure, but as if she's been kept in a gilded cage, she doesn't know any other way.

Probably an obvious statement, but this would pair well with 25th Hour and not just because Anna Paquin plays a similar character. It's also a very New York, post-9/11 story.
I sympathized with her privileged nature harming her relationships to a certain degree. Her relationship with her mother and Matt Damon's character were handled pretty well, for instance (there are likely some other sub-plots I'm missing). With the bus driver scenes in the second half, in addition to the heated classroom argument, she was far too insufferable and over-the-top for me to care about her. To the point my disconnect over whether she was intended to be unlikable or not bothered me.