What are your favorite 80s movies?

Tools    

Can I just say its annoying when people put out literally every decent film from the 80's rather than just their own top 10 or so.

that is all
I hope we do get a new Top 100 up and running because that would force me to think about these sort of questions. I'm sure I could get 100 films but it would take a lot of remembering.

1. Language: English. Movies that are English with some foreign in it is acceptable also.
Why only English?

I hope we do get a new Top 100 up and running because that would force me to think about these sort of questions. I'm sure I could get 100 films but it would take a lot of remembering.
You only need 25 for the Countdowns.

The Elephant Man
The Shining
Kagemusha
Out of the Blue
Thief
The King of Comedy
The Thing
Poltergeist
Missing
Videodrome
Love Streams
Paris, Texas
This Is Spinal Tap
A Nightmare On Elm Street
Amadeus
Temple of Doom
Back To The Future
The Breakfast Club
The Fly
Blue Velvet
Full Metal Jacket
Raising Arizona
Wings of Desire
Where is My Friends Home?
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
The Lost Boys
Midnight Run
Die Hard
Spoorloos
The 'Burbs

He didn't ask for a top 10, he asked for great 80s movies that he may not have seen yet. Top 10s would be a bit limiting.
I would find it very hard to make a top 10 80s movies, since I have alot of favorites in the 80's.

Why only English?

You only need 25 for the Countdowns.

The Elephant Man
The Shining
Kagemusha
Out of the Blue
Thief
The King of Comedy
The Thing
Poltergeist
Missing
Videodrome
Love Streams
Paris, Texas
This Is Spinal Tap
A Nightmare On Elm Street
Amadeus
Temple of Doom
Back To The Future
The Breakfast Club
The Fly
Blue Velvet
Full Metal Jacket
Raising Arizona
Wings of Desire
Where is My Friends Home?
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
The Lost Boys
Midnight Run
Die Hard
Spoorloos
The 'Burbs
Because I've seen foreign language enough in English movies and just perfer to stick with the English movies then just watching a full a movie in foreign.

Oh, this could be a very, very long list..

All of them, good or bad. The 80's represented some misunderstood cinematic notions (and some rightfully dismissed). I still feel like the 1980's aesthetic hasn't completely been explored (whatever that means), and believe that is why many artists still use the "look" in today's productions. Today is all very dull, de-saturated, and if glitzy, almost boring and shizophrenic...aside from a castrated uniformity and homogenization. The 80's was brimming with color and design, tricks of the light..all sorts of things. Bold, adventurous, FUN!

Yeah, the list would be too long.
Alot of cool things happened in the movies back in those days, the movies basically got away with everything. now we get reboots of some movies we never asked for. sometimes when we get a movie that's trying to show us some stuff can happened in real life if it includes some racism and other stuff some ppl get easily offended, they b***h about it and somehow it goes viral on the web.

But here's what gets confusing, some people say the movies that are gruesome and violent are no good but yet they watch tv shows like Dexter, The Walking Dead and so on O_O. That's a big wtf right there.

Because I've seen foreign language enough in English movies and just perfer to stick with the English movies then just watching a full a movie in foreign.
I'm not sure what this means, no offence. You've watched foreign language enough in English Movies?

Alot of cool things happened in the movies back in those days, the movies basically got away with everything. now we get reboots of some movies we never asked for. sometimes when we get a movie that's trying to show us some stuff can happened in real life if it includes some racism and other stuff some ppl get easily offended, they b***h about it and somehow it goes viral on the web.

But here's what gets confusing, some people say the movies that are gruesome and violent are no good but yet they watch tv shows like Dexter, The Walking Dead and so on O_O. That's a big wtf right there.
I've given up trying to understand all the PC stuff. I get some of it, but the super touchy stuff is just childish and weak. This world was forged with roughness and frankness, and when the work was put away for a few minutes people ribbed each other, blew off some steam. Now, if you rib anyone you get crucified by smart phone video, or social media campaigns and like you say, go viral. That's why I try and keep my mouth shut out there, you never know who's gonna start a go fund me for another social justice website focused on "people who make fun of reboots and remakes". Sad, sad turn of events. Pussy power, though because reasons!

Back to the Future
The Breakfast Club
Die Hard
The Elephant Man
The End of the World
Evil Dead Trap
First Blood
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Indiana Jones and the Lost Ark
Interrogation
The Keep
The King of Comedy
Made In Britain
The Nightmare on Elm Street
My Bloody Valentine
Possession
Risky Business
Robocop
The Seventh Continent
The Shining
The Terminator
The Thin Blue Line
Vagabond
The Verdict
Videodrome

Well racism is offensive.
Yes it's offensive but in some movies that people really like they find it ok but I guess it's not ok when it's a movie they don't like O_O.

Just like in the movie Green Inferno, it's ok if a few Americans get slaughtered but yet not ok if it was a few foreigners getting slaughtered, they be on that movie like crazy. Not saying that's what should of happened but if the people that made the movie wanted to make it all foreigners they should be allowed to.

if the people that made the movie wanted to make it all foreigners they should be allowed to.
And they were. The movie was made and released. People who have ample reason to be offended have the right to voice their offence. It's not as if the movie was stopped from being made so this just sounds like "minorities shouldn't be allowed to air their problems" to me.

It's also absurd to claim that is unique to now. What about the people who tried to get pretty much every horror movie banned in the 70's and 80's some successfully? Or the controversy surrounding The Last Temptation Of Christ?

I've given up trying to understand all the PC stuff. I get some of it, but the super touchy stuff is just childish and weak. This world was forged with roughness and frankness, and when the work was put away for a few minutes people ribbed each other, blew off some steam. Now, if you rib anyone you get crucified by smart phone video, or social media campaigns and like you say, go viral. That's why I try and keep my mouth shut out there, you never know who's gonna start a go fund me for another social justice website focused on "people who make fun of reboots and remakes". Sad, sad turn of events. Pussy power, though because reasons!
Another thing I hate is when some people surgarcoat others for liking this nasty and disturbing movie. Like when I read comments on movie sites about that movie I Spit on Your Grave the original and remake. some people would say to those that liked it "since anyone that likes this movie is a straight out pervert or something ridiculous to make them look bad." O_O ummm, so I guess anyone that likes clockwork orange is a pervert too right since it's a disturbing and nasty movie also lol, some ppl just make no sense.

I liked I Spit on Your Grave Original and Remake because you got to see what a female can do when she takes revenge. Show the disturbing **** first to make you anxious to see how this woman screws these guys up and cheer her on.

And they were. The movie was made and released. People who have ample reason to be offended have the right to voice their offence. It's not as if the movie was stopped from being made so this just sounds like "minorities shouldn't be allowed to air their problems" to me.
Yes true I see what your saying. If the movie was already made I guess they have a right to get offended and air out their problems but not to the point where it needs to be banned and never released on video and stuff because there's ppl that actually liked the movie and wouldn't be fair for those ppl if they wanted to collect it on DVD.

Welcome to the human race...
You've also got to watch out for false equivalencies, though. If I were to say that Aliens was as bad as Battlefield Earth just because they are both movies about humans fighting aliens, then you would think that I didn't understand either movie because I only focused on the most superficial similarities despite their fundamental differences.

But there's always people who wake up every day just to debate and attempt to make issues up.

Back to the 80's, though.

Altered States. William Hurt on acting steroids. Brilliant film. Great visuals. Still disturb me to this day.

There are always people who think it's easier to dismiss people's concerns out of hand than to actively consider their legitimacy.

This particular issue is bigger than you, Joel. If anything, it was at least as much to do with MovieFan1988's tendency towards false equivalency in their posts.