Tyler's Revised Top 100

→ in
Tools    

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Love the middle 3 of that set, not seen the opener or closer. When I finally get round to my new list we're going to have a lot in common I think

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
75. The Thin Red Line (1998)

The Tree Of Life and Days Of Heaven are both interesting, wonderful films in their own right, but they have nothing on The Thin Red Line, Malick's majestic, poetic masterpiece. The three hour running time just flies by when watching it, and it's incredibly complex plot structure and character development invite multiple rewatches to begin to understand the beauty the film possesses. And Hans Zimmer's compositions are, like always, awe-inspiring.

74. Paths Of Glory (1957)

Another Kubrick masterpiece, a masterfully crafted war film that follows an internal war within the ranks of the French army, just waiting to break out. Kirk Douglas plays his role with understated power, as Kubrick offers a humanistic, involving view on conflict and battle.

73. Hulk (2003)

This selection may seem strange to some of you, but I've made it clear countless times on this forum about how much I love and admire Ang Lee's Hulk. Many expected (and wanted) a "HULK SMASH!" movie, but instead got something totally different. And I love it because of that. Don't go in expecting superhero action, expect a character study of a misunderstood antihero, with a first rate performance from Eric Bana and trippy visuals from Lee.

72. Citizen Kane (1941)

The best film of all time at 72. That says nothing about the film's quality, which is top notch, it says more about how I feel about the 71 other films on my list. As for Citizen Kane, what can I say about it that isn't a total cliche? It's one of the films that made me want to become a filmmaker and Orson Welles' performance as Kane is unforgettable. The script and the supporting cast are the other elements that help make this the incredibly engaging experience Citizen Kane is.

71. Taxi Driver (1976)

Travis Bickle's hellish, intense journey through the dark and seedy underbelly of New York City is unforgettable. I could talk about the script or music for ages, but it's down to Marty's fantastic helming of the material and De Niro's scorching performance as Bickle that really make the movie what it is.

There's some films I find overrated in the past couple sets but +rep for Paths of Glory and Lost Highway. They might be weaker films of Lynch and Kubrick but both are still solid.

Some great films so far. Taxi Driver, Paths of Glory and Citizen Kane are all brilliant films, then I think Hulk is decent (needs a re watch) and I have The Thin Red Line recorded and ready to watch.

Not a huge fan of The Thin Red Line and I don't remember Hulk very well, but Taxi Driver and Citizen Kane are both amazing. And if there's one movie that plays like Lynch's 'best-of' reel, it's gotta be Inland Empire.

70. Pump Up The Volume (1990)

One of my all time favourite movies on the high school existence. The material on display is incredibly powerful and well-executed, with a perfect soundtrack and a fantastic performance from Christian Slater in the lead as Hard Harry. I like to think there's a bit of Hard Harry in all of us, and this movie encourages to let him out and "talk hard".

69. Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)

One of those films that always puts me in a good mood whenever I watch it. It's my sick day movie and I always get caught up in the fun and innocent nature, despite the darker themes of child neglect and psychological problems. I love Ferris, smugness and all, but I've always connected more with Cameron. I wonder what that says about me.

68. Superman II (1980)

While it doesn't completely capture the love and enthusiasm of the original, it's still a very entertaining superhero flick with much better villains than the first and still showcasing one of the greatest superheroes of all time.

67. The Fly (1986)

Jeff Goldblum's magnificent lead performance really lifts this film for me. Cronenberg's direction and handling of the material is solid, but it's Goldblum's engaging, intriguing performance that gets it a spot on the list. One of the better 'body horror' films I've seen.

66. Predator (1987)

Arnie is one of the defining figures of my childhood and this is classic Arnie: cheesy, testosterone fuelled fun. There isn't much substance to it, but there's a hell of a lot of style, fist-pumping action and Arnie one-liners, which are the highlight of any movie.

The Fly, Citizen Kane, Predator, Taxi Driver, Paths of Glory. Some great movies there.

Thin Red Line is also considered a great movie but I don't like Malick's movies. While the 2003 Hulk movie tried to be a more serious superhero film but I think it was still a failure (left a bad taste in my mouth). In terms of serious superhero movies I think that Akira is the best one.

I never really considered Akira to be a superhero film. But I do consider it to be one of the greatest science fiction films ever made. I'll let you know now that it didn't make this list, but it was extremely close.

65. Rocky IV (1985)

Oh, God, the cheese. It's everywhere. You can't hide from it, it keeps coming back. This movie may be one big montage, but ******* it if it doesn't get me pumped every single time I watch it. This is probably the movie I've seen the most times, I watched it 4 times in one day last year. Rocky may be more of an oiled up giant than usual, but he's still my favourite underdog, taking on Russian monster Dolph Lundgren.

I love this movie so much that I own a Ludmilla Drago (Brigitte Nielsen) figurine.

64. Anchorman: The Legend Of Ron Burgundy (2004)

"What in the hell is diversity?"
"Well, I could be wrong, but I believe diversity is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era."

I don't think there's a comedy out there that I quote more than Anchorman. It has some of the funniest dialogue I have ever heard and no matter what mood I am in, it always makes me happy. Will Ferrell has never made a comedy funnier than this (Step Brothers is brilliant, though).

63. JFK (1991)

The three hours fly by every time I watch this powerful film. Oliver Stone may be a bit of a nut, but each of his films has a gripping quality to them, especially JFK. He assembles a brilliant ensemble cast and delivers an urgent, unforgettable and relevant historical document in the form of a near perfect film.

62. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

It might be about as graphic as an episode of Power Rangers, but that doesn't matter. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre has an undeniably chilling atmosphere to it and the less we see is actually better, adding to the film's building tension. Leatherface is one of cinema's ultimate villains, and I've never watched any of the films that give him a backstory, which allows me to keep enjoying his mysterious and intriguing behaviour.

61. Point Break (1991)

Balls to the wall action. Tesosterone fuelled insanity. Batsh!t crazy fun. All three terms could be used to describe Point Break. It's everything you want from a '90's action movie. Everything and more. Watch it. Watch it now.

Rocky IV, Anchorman and Point Break are awesome and would all appear on my own list. Not seen either of the other two though I do want to get round to JFK one day.

JFK and Point Break are brilliant and both on my 100 as well. No time for Rocky IV or TCM and never have, nor wanted to, see Anchorman.

60. Jurassic Park (1993)

Yes, it's tremendous how well the special effects hold up after 20 years and how the dinosaurs still look and sound genuinely terrifying, but that wouldn't have mattered without Spielberg's amazing job at directing. He succeeds greatly in wracking up the tension and mounts perfectly staged action set-pieces, creating an unforgettable thrill-ride in cinema's ultimate amusement park.

59. Batman (1989)

One of the first superhero films that dared to embrace darker themes. At times, it's pretty cheesy and over the top, but it's a comic book movie and it was made in the '80's, what else would you expect? I really love that there's a strong feeling of love for it's title character throughout. Tim Burton and co. perfectly deliver a film that believes in it's lead character and what he stands for, while having fun. A lot of fun.

58. Mulholland Drive (2001)

Something I've always felt that Lynch was a master at is building tension. Even if nothing happens, Lynch has the ability, using atmosphere, mood and music, to make it feel like horror is just around the corner. Mulholland Drive is constantly in battle with another film for the title for Lynch's masterpiece. Dreamy, surreal and unbelievably engaging, the joy of this mindfvck is to try and figure what the hell is going on, while knowing that you probably never will. Top performances from the cast, especially Justin Theroux, also add so very much to the equation. An equation without a solution.

57. Commando (1985)

Commando doesn't have the groundbreaking technology of Jurassic Park. It doesn't have the dark, twisted world of Batman. And it doesn't have the power of Mulholland Drive (or two hot chicks making out, either). What it does have, though, that makes it higher than those three films and 40 other films on this list, is Arnie going from this...

To this...

You think you can find a more ludicrous, insane, balls to the wall action extravaganza?

No chance.

56. Die Hard (1988)

The ultimate action movie. While I have many I prefer to it, there really is no action movie that beats Die Hard in terms of influence. And it's also pretty hard to beat in terms of entertainment as well.

Just curious, how is the 80s Batman cheesy?
Did you mean it seems cheesy now or that it was cheesy for its time.

Cos I don't think the first Batman film was cheesy in anyway. For its time it was clever & fresh.

What I meant it seems sort of cheesy and over the top when compared to Nolan's much more serious Batman trilogy in this day and age. But you have to admit that Nicholson's Joker was wildly cheesy? It's supposed to be, because it's a comic book movie, but c'mon! He's incredibly over the top to the point where at times I forget I'm watching a Batman movie, and just a Jack Nicholson being gleefully evil movie.

And Batman seems serious as well when you compare it to the 60s Shark-Repellant wielding Batman..

Going by a random chaos theory, just imagine if Burton's Batman films didn't exist, would Nolan's films be the same? He could have taken up another vision.
I think the idea of Batman that Nolan has brought about is the idea of Dardevil or Punisher. I just hope the youth don't get mislead into believing that's what Batman is.

Anyway, I like the fact you love Batman. I have a friend who says Burton's Batman sucks & I wish I could kick his teeth in. But he's a good friend.

Another couple of absolute favourites in Die Hard and Jurassic Park. At this rate there will be no point in me doing a new top 100, I'll just point to your list for all my picks!

55. Die Hard With A Vengeance (1995)

What raises this above the original, for me, is the chemistry shared between Bruce Willis' cocky, smart aleck cop McClane and Samuel L. Jackson's streetwise pawn shop owner Zeus. John McTiernan returns to the series and doesn't really offer anything new to the formula. But what he, Willis and Jackson do add to the proceedings is a lot of entertainment value. It also has the distinction of being one of the few movies I watch on a regular basis with my mum. It's a shame about the fifth one; the one the family doesn't like to talk about.

54. Chinatown (1974)

One of the best films of the noir genre. A magnificent screenplay and classy, superb direction from Polanski are huge benefits, but it's Jack Nicholson's performance as Gittes and the unbelievably brilliant cinematography and lighting. Nicholson's career-best showing mixes well with the bright colour palette on display.

53. Reservoir Dogs (1992)

This was in my top 20 when I first really started getting into the art of cinema. It obviously doesn't retain it's position there now, but the effect of Quentin Tarantino's fantastic debut is still, and always will be, there. Great performances all around, especially from a scene-stealing Michael Madsen, but it's Tarantino's amazing, dialogue driven script that makes the whole thing worthwhile.

So, are you gonna bark all day, little doggie, or are you gonna bite?

52. The Last Boy Scout (1991)

[Joe and Jimmy are trying to tell the bodyguards in a car about a bomb]
Joe Hallenbeck: Now what are you doing?
Jimmy Dix: I'm drawing them a picture.
Joe Hallenbeck: What is that?
Jimmy Dix: It's a bomb.
Joe Hallenbeck: It doesn't look like a bomb, it looks like an apple with lines comin' out of it. They're gonna say "Don't open the briefcase, it's full of fresh fruit!"
Jimmy Dix: You wanna draw the damn thing?
[Jimmy shows Joe the drawing of a bomb with "BOM" written below]
Jimmy Dix: Happy?
Joe Hallenbeck: Are you kidding me?
Jimmy Dix: [shows the drawing to the bodyguards] Always criticizing my *****. I can't do nothin' right.
[the bodyguards shoot at them]
Jimmy Dix: Oh, *****!
Joe Hallenbeck: I forgot to tell you. "Bom" means "**** you" in Polish.
Jimmy Dix: Hey, that's not funny, man. I almost bought it there!
Joe Hallenbeck: Tragic loss to the art world, let me tell ya.

51. Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back (2001)

I'm not the biggest fan of Kevin Smith, but this is easily one of the funniest films I've ever seen. I've never been the biggest of the Jay And Silent Bob characters either, but they're at their funniest here, with a great cast of wildly hilarious supporting characters. If this was to be the final film in the View Askewniverse (until Clerks II came along), it's a perfect, foul mouthed and gutbustingly hilarious sendoff.