TokeZa's Top 100 Movies through Space and Time

→ in
Tools    

really going to try and give 2001 another chance soon. i struggled badly with that one on my first few efforts. although wanting to give Stanley the benefit of the doubt after how much i loved watching Full Metal Jacket, a Clockwork Orange, & the Shining
2001 is a very slow film that requires patience from the viewer. It's my favorite Kubrick because it was his film that was such a powerful emotional experience that I couldn't sleep the day I watched it for the first time.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Killer list so far. The top 20 must be awesome (I already know that The Mirror will be there but I don't have a clue about the other 19).
You should be able to guess a few more from his current top 10...

That was something you ate. Great film anyway.
That's a good one. There are 7 movies and TV series that I watched which were powerful enough to not make me sleep on the same day as I watched'en. They are:

Princess Mononoke (did it twice, second and third watches)
2001: A Space Odyssey (1st watch)
Stalker (1st watch)
Ikiru (1st watch)
Tokyo Story (2nd watch)
Puella Magi Madoka Magica (1st watch)
Haibane Renmei (this was the last one, happened in July 2013, on my second watch)

I assumed he did not have defined one (as to make us await for it). Killer top 10, though a bit too heavy on art films.
I'm assuming it'll be revised, but it seems like the top 10 remain top 20 material

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
That's a good one. There are 7 movies and TV series that I watched which were powerful enough to not make me sleep on the same day as I watched'en. They are:
That's a lot. Are you sure it isn't insomnia?
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

20. Pickpocket (1959) by Robert Bresson

19. Cries and Whispers (1972) by Ingmar Bergman

18. Bicycle Thieves (1948) by Vittorio De Sica

17. Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (1974) by Rainer Werner Fassbinder

16. Eraserhead (1977) by David Lynch

Is your top 100 just Transformers: Age of Extinction as well?
It will be once it's released in June 27.

On a more serious note, I have given up trying to have a ranked list of favourites. I'm just trying to enjoy as many movies as I can, be it a Chinese film or a film by Paul WS Andersen.

It will be once it's released in June 27.

On a more serious note, I have given up trying to have a ranked list of favourites. I'm just trying to enjoy as many movies as I can, be it a Chinese film or a film by Paul WS Andersen.
I understand, beyond 10 it always seems so arbitrary for me, so I've never done anything like a top 100 or 50 (and I made a big fuss at Guap attempting to rank his top 200).

15. Visitor of a Museum (1989) by Konstantin Lopushansky

14. Santa sangre (1989) by Alejandro Jodorowsky

13. Charulata (1964) by Satyajit Ray

12. Aguirre: The Wrath of God (1972) by Werner Herzog

11. Tokyo Story (1953) by Yasujiro Ozu

10. Caché (2005) by Michael Haneke

9. The Man With A Movie Camera (1929) by Dziga Vertov

8. The World of Apu (1959) by Satyajit Ray

7. Ordet (1955) by Carl Theodor Dreyer

6. A Man Escaped (1956) by Robert Bresson

5. Close-Up (1990) by Abbas Kiarostami

4. Persona (1966) by Ingmar Bergman

3. Werckmeister Harmonies (2000) by Béla Tarr

2. The Mirror (1975) by Andrei Tarkovsky

1. The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928) by Carl Theodor Dreyer

Would it kill you to put a non-foreign film in the top 10? Sheesh.

But really, this list is (as the kids would say) sick, dude.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Some very brief comments:

- I'm surprised that Visitors of a Museum is so high on the list but great film nonetheless.

- Same goes for Santa Sangre

- Very nice to see Apur Sansar as your top choice for Ray. I too would pick that for my top 100.

- The Passion of Joan of Arc is a perfect film.