The MoFo Top 100 of the Fifties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I love The Seventh Seal for being one of Bergman's most-audacious, blending iconic imagery of death with some wicked black comedy. For those who don't get this era Bergman (especially this and Wild Strawberries), I'll post again Da Duva and hope somebody responds this time.

I also didn't have Murder on my list, but it's excellent.
Dial M For Murder (Alfred Hitchcock, 1954)

Originally filmed and projected in theatres in 3-D, this Hitchcock classic, on DVD, still looks like it's almost presented in that format. Hitch expands on the one-set concept he used in Rope and perfected in Rear Window to ratchet up the tension in this thriller based on Frederick Knott's popular play. Part of Dimitri Tiomkin's musical score evokes what Bernard Herrmann used in 1958's Vertigo, and the plot device of taking advantage of an old college chum was used in that later film too. Ray Milland plays an retired tennis pro (remind anyone of Strangers on a Train?) who decides he'd rather inherit his wife's money than play the cuckold for her. The wife is the gorgeous Grace Kelly (Rear Window, To Catch a Thief) and her lover is mystery novelist Robert Cummings (Saboteur). The other two major characters are the "chum" (Anthony Dawson) who's "hired" to do the murder, and the dogged police detective (a witty John Williams) who tries to unravel the aftermath. Dial M For Murder is solid entertainment which intensifies as it progresses and is highly recommended to any who haven't seen it.
But hey, I did have another Hitch which didn't make it but was my #18.
The Trouble with Harry (Alfred Hitchcock, 1955)
+
Hitch gleefully spins a tale about a dead body that almost everybody believes was personally killed by them and gets buried and unburied over and over. Yes, the film is a black comedy, but it does have plenty of trademark Hitchcock suspense as well as some of the funniest dialogue you'll ever hear. It takes place in New England during the fall, and Brenda and I both agree that it's probably the film which most resembles what our honeymoon looked like with all those striking autumnal colors. I don't want to get into too many details, but Harry causes trouble for an elderly hunter (Edmund Gwenn), a spinster (Mildred Natwick) who likes him, a painter (John Forsythe) with a devilish tongue, and a pretty young mother (Shirley MacLaine). This is not only the first Hitchcock film with a Bernard Herrmann score, but it's also MacLaine's film debut and an early flick for the boy (Jerry Mathers, the Beave from "Leave it to Beaver") who plays her son and steals all his scenes. It may take just a little bit to really get going, but this film is generally underrated in the Hitchcock oeurve.
My List
1. Alice in Wonderland (#27)
2. The Quiet Man (#51)
4. Room at the Top (#73)
8. The Caine Mutiny (#80)
14. People Will Talk (#88)
17. A Streetcar Named Desire (#19)
18. The Trouble with Harry (Did Not Place)
19. Night and Fog (#54)
21. Oklahoma! (#97)
23. Guys and Dolls (Did Not Place)
24. The Big Country (#66)

I had The Trouble With Harry on my original planned list at 25 but knocked it off for something slightly more obscure (but equally great). So I'll call it #26, I think it's a great film that doesn't get talked about anywhere near as much as it deserves, especially when you consider how much people still seem to love all the other "lesser Hitchcock films", if you want to call them that.

Got to be honest i didn't like The Trouble With Harry much and would say it is my least favourite of the 16 Hitch films i've seen. I wouldn't say it was bad, most of the humour didn't work for me though. I'd be up for trying it again at some point because the premise that you've descrbed here:

Hitch gleefully spins a tale about a dead body that almost everybody believes was personally killed by them and gets buried and unburied over and over.
Makes it sound hilarious and something i'd love, so maybe i wasn't in the right mood or it's just not my type of humour.

Know of movies 14 but never seen 13. But Neither made my lists cut.

My Predictions
12 Some Like It Hot.
11 All About Eve.

Neither Of Those are on my list It just seems likely and it feels too soon for any Hitchcock films and way too soon for Samurai or Kwai do go off the list.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
have not watched either, but have been meaning to watch Dial M

List:
#1 F'git about it
#2 On the Waterfront (15)
#3 Definitely
#4 Definitely
#5 Dammit, really? Not gonna show? What a gyp
#6 Harvey (31)
#7 Stalag 17 (48)
#8 Well, crap
#9 Definitely
#10 Definitely
#11 Definitely
#12 Night of the Hunter (25)
#13 Streetcar Named Desire (19)
#14 Peter Pan (59)
#15 Alice in Wonderland (27)
#16 another that shoulda, but ain't gonna
#17 I kinda figured, but, hey, whaddya gona do
#18 Witness for the Prosecution (24)
#19 Another that would have popped up right away or not at all
#20 Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda
#21 In A Lonely Place (33)
#22 Didn't expect it would show up any ole way
#23 An old favorite that got left in the dirt - boo hoo
#24 The Killing (52)
#25 STILL CONTINUE to have fingers crossed for 1 pointer category
Watched: 45/88

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Dial M for Murder is a great Hitchcok film!

The Seventh Seal is one of my Bergman favourites and my #1 film!!! I'm very surprised it's so low. I thought it to be at least in the top 10.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
But hey, I did have another Hitch which didn't make it but was my #18.
The Trouble with Harry is not my kind of humour, but it's a very enjoyable movie with beautiful, Vermeer(?)esque cinematography.

2. Alice in Wonderland
4. Duck Amuck
9. Forbidden Planet
10. Lady and the Tramp
11. Sleeping Beauty
12. Cinderella
13. Ikiru
14. Peter Pan
15. Seventh Seal

Had neither on my list. Haven't seen Dial M For Murder in decades but I remember liking it very much. Loved The Seventh Seal but only one Bergman film made my list and I've already posted it.

When I say time for a Hitchcock movie i mean one of the big 3 should be next being Rear Window, Vertigo or North By Northwest. I was not meaning Dial M For Murder.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Dial M for Murder is one of my favorite Hitchcock movies. It was #5 on my list. I was hoping that it would make the top ten, but I'm just glad to see that it made it this high on the countdown.

I haven't seen The Seventh Seal, but it's one of the few foreign films that I have on my watchlist.

I've seen 69 of 88 movies so far.

My List:
2. An Affair to Remember (1957)
4. Oklahoma! (1955)
5. Dial M for Murder (1954)
8. The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
10. Strangers on a Train (1951)
11. Harvey (1950)

Care for some gopher?
Seen both movies. I liked Dial M For Murder and really liked The Seventh Seal. I had it at #12.

I have The Seventh Seal on my list at 2

My list:

2 The Seventh Seal #13
3 The 400 Blows #17
4 Ordet #46
5 Marty #100
8 Ace in the Hole #44
11 Wild Strawberries #23
12 Umberto D. #61
14 Touch of Evil #20
15 Sweet Smell Of Success #26
17 From Here To Eternity #76
18 Harvey #31
19 A Face in the Crowd #49
23 People Will Talk #88
24 Horror of Dracula #79
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

My prediction for the final 12. Let's give it another try. Only three of these are not on my list. I think I have Paths of Glory a little high, but there seems to be a Kubrick factor involved in these decade lists. Heck, it might even come in at number one.

01.Vertigo
02.Seven Samurai
03.12 Angry Men
04.Rear Window
05.Paths of Glory
06.Sunset Blvd.
07.All About Eve
08.North By Northwest
09.Rashomon
10.Singin' In The Rain
11.The Bridge on the River Kwai
12.Some Like It Hot

Mine:

01.Vertigo
02.Rear Window
03.12 Angry Men
04.North By Northwest
05.Seven Samurai
06.Sunset Blvd.
07.All About Eve
08.Some Like It Hot
09.Paths of Glory
10.Singin' In The Rain
11.The Bridge On The River Kwai
12.Rashomon

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

1950, Directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz
344 Points
20 Lists (1st,1st,2nd,3rd,3rd,3rd,7th,7th,7th,9th,9th,9th,10th, 10th,11th,14th,16th,17th,18th,19th)

1959, Directed by Billy Wilder
366 Points
24 Lists (1st,2nd,2nd,3rd,4th,5th,6th,6th,8th,9th,9th,9th,10th,10th, 12th,13th,13th,16th,17th,19th,20th,21st,21st,22nd)

Yahoo! one of mine made it! Bohoo that's the last one of mine to show up.

All About Eve
was my #18...I thought that it might crack the top 10. It should have.

I was a little gutted that Some like it Hot narrowly missed out on the top 10. It's my favorite classic comedy of all time and my favorite Billy Wilder film. The film that made Marilyn Monroe who she is and it certainly showed that she had a lot of talent. In a very tough ballot to crack the top of my list, it ended up as my number 5.

Some Like it Hot was my 6

My list:

2 The Seventh Seal #13
3 The 400 Blows #17
4 Ordet #46
6 Some Like it Hot #11
5 Marty #100
8 Ace in the Hole #44
11 Wild Strawberries #23
12 Umberto D. #61
14 Touch of Evil #20
15 Sweet Smell Of Success #26