Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

Maudie (2016)
Director: Aisling Walsh
Writer: Sherry White
Cast: Sally Hawkins, Ethan Hawke
Genre: Biography, Drama, Romance

Based on the true story of a Nova Scotia woman with disabilities who lives in a poor, remote village during the 1930s. She's slow witted or so her family thinks, but...she has a flair for painting and a knack at taking care of herself. Which she does when she moves away from the aunt who had cared for her and she goes to live with a stoic man who lives in a tiny house and advertised for a house keeper. CR

Much better that that poster would seem to suggest. Sally Hawkins is awesome in this and while it's not a sappy heart warming story and at times the man who should would eventual marry can seem mean, her indomitable spirit and love of art wins out. She manages to make money selling her folk art style of painting. A style that I might add has become very popular since her time.

Ethan Hawkins is the simply and quiet fish monger who hires her for nothing more than to clean up his little house in the country. At first he considers her no better than his dogs. Actual he considers her lower than dogs. And see that bothered me because it was like the film makers knew they needed some conflict so in the first part of the film his character comes off as the antagonist to Sally's protagonist. But based on the end of the story which comes as the couple are much older, I don't think that was a fair representation. At any rate when he initially slaps her and tells her she's nothing at all, I hated his character and I never did totally warm up to him. And I don't think that's what the film makers hand in mind.

A decent made film that felt like the script needed to be rewrote to be something special.

+
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Maudie 2016 (1).jpg
Views:	255
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	44094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maudie 2016 (2).jpg
Views:	255
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	44095  

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Slumdog Millionaire feel-good movie? What a peculiar sense of humour
I watched this movie only once, what is weird, coz I think it's brilliant - intense, true and original.
You wrote about brutal scenes with children (and of course You are right), but also parts showing trapping of main woman character were aweful.
On the whole I think the story is massive.

Maudie (2016)

At any rate when he initially slaps her and tells her she's nothing at all, I hated his character and I never did totally warm up to him.

+
I had the same feeling, when I was watching this scene, but I got satisfaction, when Hawks charackter was sweeping the floor at the end of the movie, without saying any word. I thought then: "Ha! Victory!"

I had the same feeling, when I was watching this scene, but I got satisfaction, when Hawks charackter was sweeping the floor at the end of the movie, without saying any word. I thought then: "Ha! Victory!"
I enjoyed the movie, and I watched it thanks to you talking about it on the Rate the Last Movie You Saw thread. My wife really liked it too.

I enjoyed the movie, and I watched it thanks to you talking about it on the Rate the Last Movie You Saw thread. My wife really liked it too.
Wow! I'm glad to hear this

I always pay attention to which movies you love, I think we have similar taste. By the way, The Dressmaker loved that film.
Thank you very much, I appreciate your words
The Dressmaker was epiphany to me (as my avatar shows ).

An epiphany? in what way? Don't tell me you use to be a couture dressmaker working in the outback of Australia
Hahaha! No, but I made the trousers once.If does it make me a dressmaker, I'm ok with that
I meant it is such my kind of film. You know, sometimes it takes a lot of time to find 5/5 movie.

Hahaha! No, but I made the trousers once.If does it make me a dressmaker, I'm ok with that
I meant it is such my kind of film. You know, sometimes it takes a lot of time to find 5/5 movie.
You have good taste, Ms. M

I've heard of Come Back Little Sheba many a time, but I never knew what it's subject matter was until your post. I'll have to catch that one, one of these days. Have you ever seen the original teleplay of Days of Wine and Roses that was shown on Playhouse 90? I think it's more gut wrenching and honest than the later Jack Lemon version, though I do like that movie too.
I think you will like Come Back Little Sheba. Shirley Booth gives a wonderful performance. She may have won an Oscar for it. Burt, of course, is good too.

I don't know if I ever saw that Playhouse 90 broadcast. I was 14 years old in 1958, and we did watch some of those plays, but I don't remember. It would have gone right over my head at that age anyway. I haven't seen it since, but I'd sure like to. Piper Laurie was always one of my favorite actresses. 3 years later she was fabulous in The Hustler.

~Doc

I think you will like Come Back Little Sheba. Shirley Booth gives a wonderful performance. She may have won an Oscar for it. Burt, of course, is good too.

I don't know if I ever saw that Playhouse 90 broadcast. I was 14 years old in 1958, and we did watch some of those plays, but I don't remember. It would have gone right over my head at that age anyway. I haven't seen it since, but I'd sure like to. Piper Laurie was always one of my favorite actresses. 3 years later she was fabulous in The Hustler.

~Doc
I seen the original Days of Wine and Roses in a DVD set
"The Golden Age of Television".

The DVD set contained:

Marty (1953) Patterns (1955) No Time for Sergeants (1955) A Wind from the South (1955) Requiem for a Heavyweight (1956) Bang the Drum Slowly (1956) The Comedian (1957) Days of Wine and Roses (1958)

Maudie (2016)
Director: Aisling Walsh
Writer: Sherry White
Cast: Sally Hawkins, Ethan Hawke
Genre: Biography, Drama, Romance

+

I enjoyed the film, in fact I think I watched it based upon your mentioning it in the "movies watched" thread. I was suspicious of the screenplay though, so I did some research. They took large liberties with the real story. Everett (the husband) was not at all mean, in fact he was supportive, and even did the housework. The writers simply wanted more topical melodrama.

~Doc

I enjoyed the film, in fact I think I watched it based upon your mentioning it in the "movies watched" thread. I was suspicious of the screenplay though, so I did some research. They took large liberties with the real story. Everett (the husband) was not at all mean, in fact he was supportive, and even did the housework. The writers simply wanted more topical melodrama.

~Doc
Yup, I suspected that Everett was written 'bad' at first to create drama, though there was no real need for it. I mean they were dirt poor, it was the depression, they were struggling and artist. All that is enough to create tension in the film without having Everett be a tyrant at first. Still I did like it. I've liked most films with Sally Hawkins. Well not her last big one, The Shape of Water. I didn't care for that much, though she was good in it.

Wagons East (1994)
Director: Peter Markle
Writers: Matthew Carlson (screenplay), Jerry Abrahamson (story)
Cast: John Candy, Richard Lewis, John C. McGinley, Ed Lauter, Abraham Benrubi, Ethan Phillips, Robert Picardo, Ellen Greene
Genre: Adventure, Comedy, Western

"In the 1860's Wild West, when a ragged bunch of misfit settlers decide they cannot stand living in their current situation, they hire a grizzled cowboy to take them on a journey back to their hometowns east."

Continuing my quest to watch the biggest flops of all time, has taken me to the last film of one of my favorite comic actors, John Candy. I've been working on watching all of John Candy's films and with the last filmhe made, Wagons East, I've now done that.

I've avoided this film for a long time, not because it's been panned by critics and movie watchers alike, but because Candy has always been a personal hero to me and this is the film where he died while making the making it in Durango Mexico. He was only 6 days away from completing the film. As a result they had to use a stand in and reuse some of his scenes with dubbing. Maybe the dark cloud over this film explains it's extremely low rating of 4.7 at IMDB. A rating I don't feel it deserves.

I watched Wagons East twice over a span of a couple months. I can say this movie made me laugh, it was a fun watch, with some interesting characters. It's not a John Candy film as it's a rather large ensemble cast. Candy doesn't have that many scenes. As always he's funny even if he's just standing there reacting to another actor.

Being filmed in Mexico this looks authentic, of course it's a comedy, so it's not trying to be a documentary. Richard Lewis was funny as was Robert Picardo of Star Trek Voyager fame. If you like either actor you'll know what to expect.

It's kind of sad that John Candy's last film wasn't well received, it certainly deserved better.

Attachments

Name:	Wagons East 1994 (2).jpg
Views:	1208
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	44103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wagons East 1994 (3).jpg
Views:	360
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	44104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wagons East 1994 (1).jpg
Views:	387
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	44105  

I think I said this before, but I thought the best part (and best character) of Wagon's East was John C. McGinley as gay cowboy "Julian" - and his ending up saving the day at one point was a scene that helped make the movie. (Plus, I got a kick out of the fact that he had a potted plant up front with him in his wagon!)

I think I became a McGinley fan after his performance as Sgt. O'Neill in Platoon. I also liked him in Office Space (as one of "the Bobs"), but he made for a great villain in the lesser-known made-for-TV movie Intensity (1997) where he plays a psychotic serial killer.

Wagons East
is no Blazing Saddles, but I agree, it's not as bad as the critics made it out to be.

Lonely Are the Brave (1962)
Director: David Miller
Writers: Dalton Trumbo (screenplay), Edward Abbey (novel)
Cast: Kirk Douglas, Gena Rowlands, Walter Matthau, George Kennedy
Genre: Drama

"A fiercely independent cowboy arranges to have himself locked up in jail in order to then escape with an old friend, who has been sentenced to the penitentiary."

I watched this one because it had a screenplay by legendary writer Dalton Trumbo. A man who penned many a fine movie script, only to find himself black listed in the 1950s because he refused to testify before the House Un-American Activities Committee. He wasn't a communist, but on moral grounds he would not knuckle under to the witch hunt that was taking place in Washington DC...A witch hunt that was mainly aimed at liberal minded Hollywood people, especially the writers.

Trumbo was an award winning script writer who's film credits include:

Papillon (1973) (screenplay)
Johnny Got His Gun (1971 ) (screenplay)
Lonely Are the Brave (1962) (screenplay)
Exodus (1960) (screenplay)
Spartacus (1960)(screenplay)
The Court-Martial of Billy Mitchell (1955) (uncredited)
Roman Holiday (1953) (screenplay)
Rocketship X-M (1950) (uncredited)
Gun Crazy (1950) (screenplay)
Our Vines Have Tender Grapes (1945) (screenplay)
Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo (1944) (screenplay)
Kitty Foyle (1940) (screen play)

That's quite an impressive list!

I didn't initially get this movie, until just a few moments ago when I was reading about Dalton Trumbo. Then the movie's theme clicked and I knew Trumbo was writing about his own misfortune at the hands McCarthyism.

In the movie Kirk Douglas plays a modern day cowboy. He's a good natured and fiercely independent man. He loves his horse and his freedom...In the opening scene we see him riding alone on the opening prairie. He comes to a barbed wire fence, that blocks his way. He complains to his horse that the land should be free to pass, so he cuts the fence with a pair of wire cutters that he keeps in his pocket.

It's only now that I understand how that scene is symbolic of the lost freedoms McCarthyism and black listing brought to America. Indeed the entire movie is about a changing America. Maybe even more telling is that: after Kirk Douglas rides into a little southwest town he visits an old friends house, there the wife (Gena Rowlands) tells him her husband is in jail for helping illegal Mexicans get food and water.

Douglas could take the easy road and move on, after all his friend only has 2 years in jail. But instead he ruins his own freedom by standing up for his friend, by busting him out of jail. Which then puts Douglas on the run. Just like Trumbo put himself on the line and ended up out of work, out of money and literally on the run.

When I think of the film in those terms, I see the brilliance of Trumbo's script.

Kirk Douglas is very likable as the not to bright but loyal cowboy. The loyalty and love he shows his horse says a lot about the man. George Kennedy makes a really good-bad cop, the kind you love to hate. Balancing that out is Walter Matheu as the sheriff who understands what the cowboy is all about and even admires him, and yet he still has to do his duty and bring him to 'justices'.

Attachments

Name:	Lonely Are the Brave 1962 (2).jpg
Views:	465
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	44106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lonely Are the Brave 1962 (1).jpg
Views:	287
Size:	332.6 KB
ID:	44107  

I seen the original Days of Wine and Roses in a DVD set
"The Golden Age of Television".

The DVD set contained:

Marty (1953) Patterns (1955) No Time for Sergeants (1955) A Wind from the South (1955) Requiem for a Heavyweight (1956) Bang the Drum Slowly (1956) The Comedian (1957) Days of Wine and Roses (1958)
That looks like a great set, especially since those early TV dramas are hard to find. I remember seeing some of them. Playhouse 90, U.S. Steel Hour, and the like.

They had a lot of quality programming back then. And, for sure, I think they should bring back variety shows!

~Doc

Slumdog Millionaire gets a bad rap around here but I've seen it twice and I love it.

I'm planning on showing my wife Out of the Blue tonight. She knows nothing about it.

Slumdog Millionaire gets a bad rap around here but I've seen it twice and I love it.

I'm planning on showing my wife Out of the Blue tonight. She knows nothing about it.
Which version of Out of the Blue?