Stephen King Movies

Tools    

Didn't see it.
I just saw a thread on another board about how Stephen King movies. I went and looked for a list of them. Here it is:
  • Carrie
  • The Shining
  • Creepshow I & II
  • Cujo
  • The Dead Zone
  • Christine
  • Children Of The Corn (adapted from Night Shift)
  • Firestarter
  • Cat's Eye (adapted from Night Shift)
  • Silver Bullet (adapted from Cycle of the Werewolf)
  • Maximum Overdrive (adapted from Night Shift)
  • Stand By Me (adapted from "The Body" from Different Seasons)
  • The Running Man
  • Pet Sematary
  • Graveyard Shift (adapted from Night Shift)
  • Misery
  • Sleepwalkers (an original screenplay, not based on a previously published book or story.)
  • The Mangler (adapted from Night Shift)
  • The Dark Half
  • Needful Things
  • Dolores Claiborne
  • Thinner
  • The Shawshank Redemption (Adapted From "Rita Hayworth & The Shawshank Redemption" From Different Seasons)
  • The Night Flier (Adapted From Nightmares & Dreamscapes)
  • Apt Pupil (Adapted From Different Seasons)
  • The Green Mile
My favorites were Carrie, The Shining, The Running Man, Misery, The Shawshank Redemption, Apt Pupil, and The Green Mile. What are your favorites?

assuming that you mean the original Shining, and i think you need to add Lawnmower Man.

Don't forget that there have also been several mini-series' based on his work (such as IT).

I don't know why he asked for his name to be taken out of the credits for The Lawnmower Man. It may not be a masterpiece, but it is entertaining, and better than many of the other adaptations of his writing.

Shawshank, undoubtedly. I haven't watched it again though - I need to, now I know the twist.

I always liked It too.

Maybe it's just something he regrets - even if its good, I get the vibe its different from his usual style, his "brand" so to speak...which would be a decent reason to take his name off of it.

"It" was quite good - as well as "The Stand." The kind of movies that are semi-boring because they're just so long, but you can't stop watching them anyway.

MovieForums Extra

I loved the Shawshank Redemption (I actually didn't know that it was a Stephen King movie), as well as the Green Mile (though everyone says that you can't understand the movie without reading the book first).

Like I said, I like "It", even though it was the scariest movie I saw as a child

Oh yeah, has anyone seen "Apt Pupil"?? I thought that movie was REALLY freaky!!

Didn't see it.
"Apt Pupil" was one of my favorite stories that he ever wrote. I couldn't wait for it to come out as a movie. LOL! It only took about 15 years. I thought the moview was pretty good too, but the written version was a lot more creepie.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Shawshank is one of the greatest movies ever made.

MovieForums Extra

Are you kidding, it probably couldn't get any freakier!! Just kidding, I haven't actually read the book, I don't usually read Stephen King books...but everyone says that they're better than the movies, so I might give it a shot!

For anyone that hasn't seen "Apt Pupil", it's a must see!!

Female assassin extraordinaire.
oh man Shawshank Redemption, hands down.

The Stand was an incredible book. I had read him a little before that but never really felt much for his work (in writing) until I read that book. The miniseries did it absolutely no justice.

I've only read one Stephen King book, and that hasn't been made into a movie yet (Gerald's Game was the book).

Of the movies, Stand By Me and The Shawshank Redemption would be my favorites (I haven't seen The Green Mile yet). Misery was also very good, and I enjoyed The Dead Zone a great deal (I even saw it in the theaters when it was new). Apt Pupil was okay - enjoyable enough to be worth sitting through, but not a movie I'd go out of my way to see again. The Running Man was okay for what it is. I can sit through it (and I often do since it's on TBS a lot), but it's not really among my favorites or anything.

The Night Flier was horrible. I watched that on HBO or Showtime one night. I kept waiting for it to get good, but it never did.

[red]SPOLIERS BELOW[/red]

I absolutely HATED Pet Sematary, but it was probably because I had recently become a father when it came out, and I couldn't stand seeing the toddler getting run over by the semi. Had we not been with another couple, I think my wife and I would've walked out right after that happened.

The only other film on this list that I've seen is Maximum Overdrive, and that really wasn't very good, but I enjoyed the AC/DC soundtrack.
[Edited by TWTCommish on 01-09-2001]

I can understand that, Ryan...I barely remember that, but had I been a bit older it probably would have bothered me a lot more. I think I saw part of the movie with some friends or something, in some kind of sleepover-style thing...only in the middle of the day.

All I'll say is that the "heel thing" is the one that makes me cringe.

The Shawshank Redemption. It's also one of my very favorite movies.

Pet Semetary... Man was the meningitis chick scary. I've read a lot of Stephen King books and that one is probaly the best "book-to-movie" he's done.

It wasnt a very good movie. The book blows it away, they missed out the little details, that a movie cant possibly use.

I think Geralds Game would make a great movie.

MovieForums Extra
Welcome to the forums Russel! Hope you'll stick around a while!

Welcome Russell! I havn't really read Gerald's Game, but know the basic plot - would it really make a good game? I'd imagine all that pyscological stuff would get old after awhile.

Originally posted by TWTCommish
would it really make a good game? I'd imagine all that pyscological stuff would get old after awhile. [/b]
I'm not sure I follow you Chris

I can pretend that things last.
Dolores Clairbone
Shawshank Redemption
The Shining

I havent seen others.Will hopefully see them during my lifetime.