Magnolia vs. Boogie Nights

→ in
Tools    

magnolia is really boring and overrated, but boogie nights is entertaining as hell. the only thing magnolia had going for it was the fantastic performances.

rankings:
boogie nights
punch-drunk love
there will be blood
the master
hard eight
magnolia

Boogie nights is at the top for me as it's just the type of movie I love. It was the first PTA film I saw, and it was an instant favorite. I then watched Magnolia and couldn't get into it at all. After that, I kind of tuned PTA out. That is until I finally watched There Will Be Blood. The only real reason I watched TWBB is because of all the fans it has here. I ended up thinking it was brilliant. Because of TWBB, I tried The Master. I went into The Master almost wanting to not like it. I didn't love it, but I did like it. More than that, I was impressed by it, and it made me really believe that PTA is without a doubt an incredible filmmaker. I now look forward to trying Magnolia again, as well as seeing his other films. I especially look forward to his next film, Inherent Vice.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Boogie nights is at the top for me as it's just the type of movie I love. It was the first PTA film I saw, and it was an instant favorite. I then watched Magnolia and couldn't get into it at all. After that, I kind of tuned PTA out. That is until I finally watched There Will Be Blood. The only real reason I watched TWBB is because of all the fans it has here. I ended up thinking it was brilliant. Because of TWBB, I tried The Master. I went into The Master almost wanting to not like it. I didn't love it, but I did like it. More than that, I was impressed by it, and it made me really believe that PTA is without a doubt an incredible filmmaker. I now look forward to trying Magnolia again, as well as seeing his other films. I especially look forward to his next film, Inherent Vice.
You should definitely give Magnolia another go. It's my personal favorite film by PTA, although all of the films he has made are brilliant in one way or another. Surprisingly TWBB is my least favorite of his, but I still heavily respect that film. It's a film I admire more than I love if that makes any sense.

You should definitely give Magnolia another go. It's my personal favorite film by PTA, although all of the films he has made are brilliant in one way or another. Surprisingly TWBB is my least favorite of his, but I still heavily respect that film. It's a film I admire more than I love if that makes any sense.
This probably suits a general PTA thread better, so move it if you feel the need, mods.

I know what you mean about admiring more than loving - not necessarily in the context of There Will Be Blood but I definitely have that relationship with a number of great films. Have you seen Hard Eight? What about that do you think makes it a better film than TWWB? I need to see it again but for now I would have to say it's his only film that doesn't have elements of brilliance.

That's a tough one to decide on.

I love them both, and I agree with you completely.

Boogie Nights is far more entertaining. However, Magnolia is deep and gripping. Both have excellent ensemble cast performances. The strongest performance of them all has got to be Tom Cruise in Magnolia when he cries frantically over his estranged and ailing father. It gets to me all the time.

If I had to choose one over the other...I'd pick Magnolia.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Give me all of your candy!
After seeing them both for the first time these past couple days, I would say Boogie Nights slightly over Magnolia for me. I feel like after a few more viewings of each that can easily change, but I had such a fun time with Boogie Nights that I just have to give it the slight edge. Very powerful scenes, although I think the best scene in either movie is the song montage in Magnolia.....the song title escapes me, but that was pure brilliance and just beautiful.

After seeing them both for the first time these past couple days, I would say Boogie Nights slightly over Magnolia for me. I feel like after a few more viewings of each that can easily change, but I had such a fun time with Boogie Nights that I just have to give it the slight edge. Very powerful scenes, although I think the best scene in either movie is the song montage in Magnolia.....the song title escapes me, but that was pure brilliance and just beautiful.
I LOVE that scene!

The song is called Wise Up by Aimee Mann.

I remember when I watched that movie in the theatre about 14 years ago, and that song montage came on, it took me by surprise. I was speechless, and kept thinking to myself, "I have never seen anything like this before, and it's f**king awesome!"

It's not going to stop...'til you wise up!