best movie of 2001

Tools    

if other just post as a reply.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Guy
you're forgetting the important Memento

i thought that was 2000

This topic should definitely read 'Best Movie of 2001...SO FAR'. These last few months are always when the best movies are released.

Memento was not released in North America until the spring of 2001. For purposes of us Yanks and next year's Awards (Oscars, Golden Globes, etc.), Memento is a 2001 movie, even though it was released in the U.K. and most of Europe at the end of 2000.

Memento is definitely the best movie I've seen so far this year. Firmly in second place I'd put Sean Penn's The Pledge, and the rest of the good stuff (to this point in the year) would all be imports from Europe: The Princess & the Warrior, Sexy Beast, and Under the Sand. Stuff that was much better than average but not great for me would be Made, The Caveman's Valentine and Ghost World. A couple mainstream Hollywood things that weren't bad - for what they were anyway - were The Mexican and Heaertbreakers.

And that's about it so far. But there are so many potentially great movies coming that I'm looking forward to. This year is far from over, movie-wise.

Holden's right! We've still got Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings due up. Quite frankly, I expect those to be my TOP TWO favorite movies of 2001...right within the last 2 months! I can't possible choose one until then. I can't wait.

Radioactive Spider Blood
Swordfish!

"Chances are, if your parents didn't have any kids, then you won't either."

DAM! I wanted to see black sheep or bad company or whatever its called & now they wont release it till 2008 or somethin. I also think its silly to erase all the images of twin towers from all the TV shows & movies. Do the studios think the audience is like gonna freak when they see the twin towers? I think they should stay becuz people will want to remeber them as they were before the attacks.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Same here, but I watched Die Hard With a Vengeance last night and it gave me a weird feeling...

I'd still rather they keep things the way they were.

I agree with you about the towers, there.
But anyway, i won't vote.
My favorite movie this year so far was Rush Hour 2
If I can't vote for that, Planet of the Apes
If I can't vote for that, Pootie tang
If I can't votye for that Memento
Jay and Silent Bob would come next but seriously, its not worth it.

My favorites so far are:

1. The Princess and the Warrior
2. A.I. Artificial Intelligence
3. Ghost World
4. Memento
5. Moulin Rouge
6. Lost & Delirious
7. Wit

some other flicks I liked this year:

The Others
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
Final Fantasy
Shrek
The Score
The Pledge

I thought Snatch was 2000? I can't remember; I'm terrible at years. A.I. should be on that list (if you disregard the last 10 minutes or so)

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Snatch was a 2000 release. Was released around Christmas time I believe.

I was wanting to see Ghost World, Lost & Delirious, and some of the other notable summer flicks, but alas, my small town doesn't get the ones that would be worth watching, they only get the ones that they think stupid people would like.

Ones I liked though are:

Shrek
A Knight's Tale
Memento
Swordfish
Final Fantasy
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I'm saying right now, that Enemy at the Gates SUCKS! I hated that movie. The sniper scenes were cool but everything else was 100%, retarded.

Jude Law was badass though. He always is.

Originally posted by Steve N.
I'm saying right now, that Enemy at the Gates SUCKS! I hated that movie. The sniper scenes were cool but everything else was 100%, retarded.
Steve, do you just hate movies with action and a story? I mean you hated Gladiator, you hate Enemy At The Gates, I mean these are both good movies, and have no reason to be cut down.

WHAT!?!?!?!
Seriously, I'm sorry, this sounds horrible but I CANNOT ever again respect your opinion if you believe that Enemy at the Gates was a good movie. It was horrible, one of the worst I've ever seen. Gladiator blew, too but I understand how you could like it. It had high points. Enemy at the Gates had one great set and Ron Perlman in a supporting role. All it had besides that was a gimmick, some cheesiness, a bare @$$, a stealth sex-scene, a big F-You from Hollywood and an the worst ending ever sloppily stapled on at the end. Oh my God...

Oh yeah, I just remembered The Score which is supposed to be good but I haven't seen it yet so I don't know.

Originally posted by SultanBigPants
Seriously, I'm sorry, this sounds horrible but I CANNOT ever again respect your opinion if you believe that Enemy at the Gates was a good movie. It was horrible, one of the worst I've ever seen. Gladiator blew, too but I understand how you could like it. It had high points. Enemy at the Gates had one great set and Ron Perlman in a supporting role. All it had besides that was a gimmick, some cheesiness, a bare @$$, a stealth sex-scene, a big F-You from Hollywood and an the worst ending ever sloppily stapled on at the end. Oh my God...
It had its moments. I didn't really think the sex scene was needed as well as about 20 other minutes of slowness. Like it or not, this was a true story, of course having added in some of the frills to make it enjoyable by those who don't like history. What do you think a sniper does?? Stands out in the open waving to the person wanting to kill him. It was a good movie, action wise, story wise it could have used a little umph to get it going, but still not one to dismiss.

Here are my top ten of 2001, in order:
  • Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain (Amélie)
    Director: Jean-Pierre Jeunet
  • Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi (Miyazaki's Spirited Away)
    Director: Hayao Miyazaki
  • The Royal Tenenbaums
    Director: Wes Anderson
  • Moulin Rouge!
    Director: Baz Luhrmann
  • Gosford Park
    Director: Robert Altman
  • Mulholland Dr.
    Director: David Lynch
  • Memento
    Director: Christopher Nolan
  • Donnie Darko
    Director: Richard Kelly
  • A Beautiful Mind
    Director: Ron Howard
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
    Director: Peter Jackson
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Here are my top ten of 2001, in order:
  • Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain (Amélie)
    Director: Jean-Pierre Jeunet
  • Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi (Miyazaki's Spirited Away)
    Director: Hayao Miyazaki
  • The Royal Tenenbaums
    Director: Wes Anderson
  • Moulin Rouge!
    Director: Baz Luhrmann
  • Gosford Park
    Director: Robert Altman
  • Mulholland Dr.
    Director: David Lynch
  • Memento
    Director: Christopher Nolan
  • Donnie Darko
    Director: Richard Kelly
  • A Beautiful Mind
    Director: Ron Howard
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
    Director: Peter Jackson

Hopefully that's # 10 going down to # 1

Nope, sorry. I liked Fellowship of the Ring quite a bit, but it was kind of cheesy sometimes ("...and my axe!") and there wasn't any striking performances other than Ian playing Gandalf. And you know how I feel about Amélie; I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, it!