Wacky Movie Reviews by Mingusings

→ in
Tools    

Awesome that I chose a movie that others on here have seen.

Watch some Jodorovsky.
I tried to watch Holy Mountain a few years ago but I couldn't get through it. What is his most normal film and maybe I could start with that?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Holy Mountain or Santa Sangre. Probably The Rainbow Thief although I haven't seen it. "Normal Jodorowsky" may be an oxymoron!

Tetsuo is a film I'd like to see. I believe a friend of mine recently recommended it.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Holy Mountain or Santa Sangre. Probably The Rainbow Thief although I haven't seen it. "Normal Jodorowsky" may be an oxymoron!
Don't ask me. I've only seen Fando and Lis and The Mole, but the latter is way more accessible. Surrealism, onirism, metaphysics and Fellini-lookin', but not irritating old ladies.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Singapore Sling (1990)
Directed by Nikos Nikolaidis
Language: Greek/English/French
My Rating:

Singapore Sling deals with a private investigator who is looking for a woman named Laura. His investigation leads him to an estate owned by the strangest mother-daughter duo I've ever seen in cinema. The mother and daughter, who play bizarre sexual and torture "games," name the investigator "Singapore Sling," and include him in the games.

There were certainly some things I liked about the film. It's wickedly funny at times, and has very good cinematography. I also liked how narrations play throughout the film by multiple characters. However, the film was designed to shock and surprise the viewer. After about an hour, this gets old, and the film seems to move at a snail's pace in its final act, despite the eccentricity of what is onscreen. I also wasn't interested in any of the characters. The mother and daughter are so weird, it got to the point where nothing they could possibly do would surprise me. The investigator pretty much says nothing the entire movie, which makes for a pretty dull character. And then when he finally has something to do onscreen, it just seems out of place.

This is definitely a film for the art house crowd, which I am evidently not a part of. If you aren't either, I say skip this one.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Don't really disagree - I give it
- but it's got a lot going on, not in pacing, but in the bizarre, the connections to Otto Preminger's Laura, and the strange combination of beauty (the lighting and cinematography) and the repulsive (all the crap shown). Like I said, I think you're pretty much correct in your assessment but I just appreciated a bit more. If I were to watch a film about aberrant behavior, I much prefer this to Salo.

Love Object (2003)
Directed by Robert Parigi
Language: English
My Rating:
-

Kenneth is a socially awkward, white-collar worker. One day, he decides to purchase a sex doll, with whom he develops a close relationship. Sound familiar? The idea of the film is quite similar to that of “Lars and the Real Girl.” However, the plots go in very different directions. When an attractive co-worker sparks Kenneth’s attention, the doll becomes very jealous and Kenneth is stuck and doesn’t know what to do.

The plot and tone of the movie were really all over the place. I thoroughly enjoyed the first half. It had a very subtle sense of humor and had a certain charm about it. In the second half, however, the plot takes a turn and the film pretty much ends like a horror movie, and not a good one at that. All the comedy is lost and I quickly became disinterested. The word that keeps coming to mind is unoriginal. I was rather surprised by how vastly different the two halves were. Everything that was so great about the first half disappears in the second half. Quite disappointing. Overall, I would highly recommend the vastly superior “Lars and the Real Girl.”