Strong Independent Women

Tools    

I agree with you there.

Interesting. I guess my thought is, how can a racist perspective reliably portray a minority? Be it gender or otherwise?
It doesn't. Like most movies then and now, it's mainly white people, but Birth of a Nation is SO racist that it goes to a very special place in movie history. In regard to gender, Intolerance was produced by the same people, all male too, but nevertheless, it's hard to not like Mountain Girl. If she were in a bar fight with Ripley from Alien, the fight would be a toss up, but you'd probably root for Mountain Girl. I only saw the movie last week and it's surprised me that several women I spoke to had seen it, knew Mountain Girl and really liked the character too.

It doesn't. Like most movies then and now, it's mainly white people, but Birth of a Nation is SO racist that it goes to a very special place in movie history. In regard to gender, Intolerance was produced by the same people, all male too, but nevertheless, it's hard to not like Mountain Girl. If she were in a bar fight with Ripley from Alien, the fight would be a toss up, but you'd probably root for Mountain Girl. I only saw the movie last week and it's surprised me that several women I spoke to had seen it, knew Mountain Girl and really liked the character too.
Huh. Alright then.