Actors who are always in good films

Tools    

What movie is that from?
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

I am half agony, half hope.
Laura Linney turns in solid performances even when she's in a stinker movie like Congo.

Some of her best:
Mystic River
The Squid and the Whale
Kinsey
You Can Count on Me

Johann von Goethe

Nicholas Cage
Jackie Chan
Tom Cruise

I can only think of three now, well I guess that's it!!!

Tyger, Tyger, Burning Bright
The title of this thread immediately made me think the direction it would probably go, at it does seem to have, is not so much actors who are always in good movies, but actors who are typically in good movies, but even when they are in a mediocre movie, their performance tends to stand out as being a good part within it (sometimes even the past part of the movie).

What about someone like Peter O'Toole, or Richard Harris. I'm thinking of them more recently for their respective roles in Troy and Gladiator. I honestly don't know either of their entire filmographies, so I'm not going to say whether I think they SHOULD be on such a list of great actors, but from what I do know, they both seem like good possible candidates.
Troy has had some nasty things said about it (I thought it was OK, not great, but some good 'ole popcorn at least), but I thought O'Toole did a great job with the role he was given. Gladiator has been generally very well received, and again, I liked it for its popcorn value, but I thought Harris' also did a really great job with that role.

Dunno So Many Good Actors.. Good Topic Yew Have Picked x

For me it's: Anthony Hopkins Robert De Niro Tom Hanks Robbie Williams John Travolta Nicolas Cage They are really great actors.

For me it's: Anthony Hopkins Robert De Niro Tom Hanks Robbie Williams John Travolta Nicolas Cage They are really great actors.
Well, the question wasn't about who's a great actor, though, but about which actors avoid ending up in bad films.

Travolta, for example, has made Mad City, Basic, Look Who's Talking Too, Look Who's Talking Now, and one of the most mockable films of all time, Battlefield Earth.

Cage has had the misfortune of appearing in so many bad films that I actually had to defend him in another thread from someone who claimed he never makes any good ones. Among his alleged missteps are Next, Windtalkers, Captain Corelli's Mandolin, Face/Off and especially The Wicker Man.

And, alas, while Robert De Niro is a fantastic actor who has found his way into some of the best movies of the last few decades, he isn't very choosy. In fact, another member mentioned De Niro in this very thread back in June (page 1) and both myself and Holden (in consecutive posts) enumerated some of the many, many poor films he's been in.

Anthony Hopkins is a better choice, but far from perfect. He was in both Alexander and Instinct, two huge bombs, and Bad Company. But I agree his track record is quite good overall.

And obviously I think Hanks is a pretty good choice, too.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
brad pitt
johnny depp
anthony hopkins
tom cruise
robert de niro
sean penn
tom hanks
robin williams
nicolas cage

good films or bad films...i don't mind as long as these guys are in.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I think Will Smith has been in some fantastic films (apart from Wild Wild West) it seems what ever he is becomes a box office smash. He is one of my favorite actors. I think Hancock is going to be awsome, really looking forward to seeing this.

Hmmm,

Christian Bale seems an obvious choice to me, I can't think of any bad films he's been in off hand.

The trouble is the older an actor gets the likelihood of them being in a turkey increases. Almost all actors will end up in a stinker at some stage, just as most directors end up making the odd flop. This usually happens at the beginning or end of their careers. Though sometimes it happens in the middle, Michael Caine in 'The Swarm' for example, mind you he's been in lots of bad films.

Juliet Binoche? can't think of a bad film she's been in either.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Hmmm,

Christian Bale seems an obvious choice to me, I can't think of any bad films he's been in off hand.
How about Reign of Fire? Besides that one, I agree.

How about Reign of Fire? Besides that one, I agree.
When he was still pretty young Newsies and Swing Kids are embarrassing. And Harsh Times is rubbish. But yeah, Bale's got a better batting average than most, and now he's really been getting his pick of projects.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Even his worst films (Bale) are not all that awful. In the big picture (P.I.) he is solid. D.D.L. is a bit above as well as P.S.H. Yeah?

You're a Genius all the time
When he [Bale] was still pretty young Newsies and Swing Kids are embarrassing.
I've never seen Newsies, so I can't comment on just how embarrassing it really is. But any flick that can contribute (even in reputation alone) to a moment of comedy this inspired is alright in my book.

Also Samuel Jackson he never seems to be in any bad films.
Are you serious? Snakes on a plane. Jumper. 1408. and many other garbo movies.

He is quite a fantastic actor though, as shown especially in Coach Carter, Pulp Fiction, etc, just he chooses the wrong movies to be in.

And lol at everyone talking about Nicholas Cage. He's a horrible actor IMO because he doesn't know how to express EMOTIONS. Ghost rider, wicker man, all those movies I turned off within 30minutes because I simply could not stand Nicholas Cage. The only movie which he is actually palatable in is National Treasure, and that movie wasn't good either.

For me, after reading this, I agree that Di'Caprio/Hanks seem to be in many great films. De Niro was in many great films in the past, but imo, I find James Stewart to be in many great classics. =)

I am Jack's sense of overused quote
I can only really hold actors to this once they have reached the point they can turn down scripts--so holding Newsies (a movie I like) against Christian Bale is not especially fair.

Since her breakthrough role in The Secretary, Maggie Gyllenhaal has had stupendous role selection. Each role showcases a different aspect of her range and ability.