Noirvember 2022

Tools    

Have you seen many of Anthony Mann's noirs? I just now looked and he seems to have made eight noirs. I've only seen Raw Deal and T-Men. T-Men having the distinction of being one of the very few noirs that I didn't care for. I have seen lots of Mann's other films especially his westerns. He's my favorite western director and one of my favorite mid century directors.
I’ve seen those two and He Walked By Night. I’m a fan of all three. I’ve mainly seen his westerns as well. I’d argue the Naked Spur should count as a Noir Western. I think that tinge of noir cynicism is what makes so many of his westerns work so well. They have a hint of the revisionism that would define the genre a decade or so later.

I think noir is most closely associated with dreary, often rainy, urban landscapes that necessitate the iconic raincoats and hats of our various gumshoes and gangsters, which fits the November atmosphere.

That said, there’s enough noir (especially neo-noir) that step outside of that and place it in sunny locals, especially those that dabble in Southern Gothic tropes (I’m looking at you, Cape Fear!) that one can justify watching noir all year round.
I haven't watched a whole lot of urban noir, obviously. I oughta rectify that this month.
Also, good call on Cape Fear, which I somehow haven't seen yet despite my Mitchum man crush.

Has anyone seen his '70s Marlowe movies? I hope to check those out as well. It looks like Farewell, My Lovely is on Kanopy.

I agree with you there. And if you haven't seen them, a couple of fine classic noirs re heists are, Criss Cross (1949), which not only features Burt Lancaster, Yvonne DeCarlo, and Dan Duryea, but has a great story directed by IMO the premiere noir director, Robert Siodmak, But it also has some wonderful video of late '40s Los Angeles.

And of course The Killing (1956) is one of the best, directed by Stanley Kubrick, starring Sterling Hayden, Vince Edwards, and two of my all time favs: Marie Windsor and Elisha Cook, Jr. It's a race track heist and is very realistic.
I saw The Killing earlier this year, which is one of the best movies I've ever seen. Here's a review I wrote. I'll see if I can find Criss Cross.
Why does that plot device work so well? It's the satisfaction of knowing something that the characters don't and the big reveal always tends to be explosive, I guess. I'm not sure if they're considered noirs, but Reservoir Dogs and The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 (1974) are a couple more good examples.

...Has anyone seen his '70s Marlowe movies? I hope to check those out as well. It looks like Farewell, My Lovely is on Kanopy.
I seen Farewell, My Lovely, looks like I rated it a 3/5. I don't really remember it except it seemed just OK.

I seen Criss Cross mentioned a couple of times, hell yes! That was one of the best noirs I've seen in many a moon.

Caught (Max Ophüls 1949)

Loved this one, as it was steeped in well written melodrama with a poor shop girl (Barbara Bel Geddes) desperately wanting to marry into money. This was pretty powerful with a poor but sweet girl marrying a multi millionaire control freak (Robert Ryan). His character exhibits megalomania narcissist. He throws tantrums, treats people like dirt and is very effective in the role. Which makes the poor girl who marries him an emotional punching bag. A really good study of human nature. James Mason as the altruistic inner city doctor who cares more about helping children than he does about money, makes for a good counterbalance to Robert Ryan's character. Interesting that Mason was originally cast in the egotistical millionaire role.

Good stuff, thanks @rauldc14

I'm going to watch Fallen Angel (1945) tonight. It was just added to the Criterion channel.

This is one of my favorites, highly recommended

I've watched embarrasingly few noirs, so I'll be joining in later this month.
Cool beans jake...but nothing to join, this ain't no clip joint Just catch a noir or two and yak about it abit...Or just hang and catch the drift.

Cool beans jake...but nothing to join, this ain't no clip joint Just catch a noir or two and yak about it abit...Or just hang and catch the drift.
Charming speech, but this could be a whole lot easier if you just spill the way to your clip joint. You see, we're running out of scotch at the station and my partner here's in a particularly bad mood tonight.

I haven't watched a whole lot of urban noir, obviously. I oughta rectify that this month.
Also, good call on Cape Fear, which I somehow haven't seen yet despite my Mitchum man crush.

Has anyone seen his '70s Marlowe movies? I hope to check those out as well. It looks like Farewell, My Lovely is on Kanopy.
Mitchum’s Marlow films are good but serve as a reminder for missed opportunity of what could’ve been if he’d been given the role 30 years previous. He could’ve ousted Bogie as THE Marlow but he’s simply too old for the role.

Farewell, My Lovely is the better of the two and feels like the studio was really trying to capture that Chinatown magic by giving it a fairly lavish period piece production. It’s also the best adaptation of that Chandler novel.

The Big Sleep is good with a particularly well cast Charlotte Rampling stepping into the role that made Bacall a star (or at least solidified it) but it’s a more modest production, inexplicably set in the ‘70s. Due to Mitchum’s age making the relationship with Rampling odd, even by Hollywood standards, it just feels slight in the face of Bogie and Bacall’s effortless on screen chemistry.

I’d recommend both, especially as comparisons to Hawk’s film and Murder, My Sweet.

Huge fan of Force of Evil as a top notch example of the genre. Another that packs a real punch is Blast of Silence (1961). Absolutely stunning noir cinematography in that one, and definitely recommended to those who haven't seen it.
I agree with you. BOS was an unusual and very bleak neo-noir, with Allen Baron practically running the whole shebang. For a low budget film, it really packs a wallop. And you're right-- stunning photography.

I saw The Killing earlier this year, which is one of the best movies I've ever seen. Here's a review I wrote. I'll see if I can find Criss Cross.
Why does that plot device work so well? It's the satisfaction of knowing something that the characters don't and the big reveal always tends to be explosive, I guess. I'm not sure if they're considered noirs, but Reservoir Dogs and The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 (1974) are a couple more good examples.
Very nice review. The film really has no mistakes in it. Everything clicked, scene after scene.

I think people are fascinated by the juxtaposition of hoping that the robbers will get away with it, and knowing that they won't. Although in 1956 I think moviegoers were just starting to hope that the bad guys get away with it sometimes...

Those who check out Criss Cross (it’s great!) also check out the remake that Steven Soderbergh made in the ‘90s called The Underneath. It’s terribly underrated and underseen.

I quite enjoyed Fallen Angel. While I plan to rewatch Laura, I think this may be my favorite Preminger film thus far.

Would Anatomy of a Murder count as noir or is it a straight up courtroom drama?

The Dark Corner

Entered knowing nothing about it other than Lucille Ball was in it. Came out loving it and will place it among my favorites of the genre. Really captures the essence of a noir PI story.

https://boxd.it/3oP72F

5/5

I quite enjoyed Fallen Angel. While I plan to rewatch Laura, I think this may be my favorite Preminger film thus far.

Would Anatomy of a Murder count as noir or is it a straight up courtroom drama?
Yeah, it's just a mystery/courtroom drama. One of the best courtroom dramas ever done, IMHO. The whole cast was dynamite. It really put George C. Scott on the map.

The Dark Corner

Entered knowing nothing about it other than Lucille Ball was in it. Came out loving it and will place it among my favorites of the genre. Really captures the essence of a noir PI story.

https://boxd.it/3oP72F

5/5
Read your review and it piqued my interest...I'm a sucker for a 1940s noir steeped in colorful lingo and noirish lighting. I might have seen The Dark Corner long ago or not. I do remember seeing Lucille Ball in at least one noir. Think I'll watch that one tonight.

Read your review and it piqued my interest...I'm a sucker for a 1940s noir steeped in colorful lingo and noirish lighting. I might have seen The Dark Corner long ago or not. I do remember seeing Lucille Ball in at least one noir. Think I'll watch that one tonight.
Keep me posted. It was just nice having a flick deliver everything I want from the genre in one brisk package.

I don't actually wear pants.
Sounds like a banging month to me. My favorite film noir is Stray Dog from Akira Kurosawa. I want to watch it again, but I just haven't done so yet. I won't go into detail. Sweet Smell of Success is another one I want to rewatch. Hm, I wonder if there are any film noir on Hulu, Netflix, or Prime that I can stream right away? Anyone have some suggestions?